• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

New tyres? New size format? What do I need?

Wild Rover

Overdrive!
I was just looking at new tyres and the size format appears to have changed. I have Goodyear Wranglers 7.50 R16C (108/109N) and I can't find a replacement in this format they are all 225/75R16 or something similar. Can anyone tell me if I am missing something here?

Cheers

I was just looking at new tyres and the size format appears to have changed. I have Goodyear Wranglers 7.50 R16C (108/109N) and I can't find a replacement in this format they are all 225/75R16 or something similar. Can anyone tell me if I am missing something here?

Cheers

Try this link. tells you everything you need to know about tyres and includes a tyre size calculator. to convert to metric.

http://chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html

You can still get 7.50R16 tyres if you look around on the internet, they just aren't as common as the metric sizes. I think the metric size equivalent of 7.50R16 is 235/85R16, thats certainly what I'm replacing mine with, though I'm not sure if they'd fit on standard LR wheels.

I replaced my 7.50R16s with Goodyear Wrangler MTRs 235/85R16s. Very little difference.

AJ

You can still get 7.50R16 tyres if you look around on the internet, they just aren't as common as the metric sizes. I think the metric size equivalent of 7.50R16 is 235/85R16, thats certainly what I'm replacing mine with, though I'm not sure if they'd fit on standard LR wheels.

Thanks Alan, useful info. The site Redhand linked has a bundle of info about tyres and a calculator for converting to metric. A 7.5" tyre comes out at 190mm wide so I will try to replace with a similar size as I have standard wheels and these will fit.

P.S. I shall be down in Bath at the end of the month so if you see a Blue 110 on your travels give us a wave.

Cheers

Cheers
Mine says 108/106N did you read the number up the wrong way.
I'm about 2 order a new 1 or 2 myself.

Attachments

• Jan 06 digi pics 010 (Medium).jpg
    Jan 06 digi pics 010 (Medium).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 45
235/85 are the metric equivelent to 7.50's, the 235's are slightly wider though (about 20mm). 7.50's are getting harder to find in this country, I'm trying to find two just to wear the rest of my tires out as a set then going over to metric. Even the millitary are swapping over to metric I've heard!
7.50's are available in europe though, they lv tem bcause their not as wide.

CHeers, Ben

Thanks Alan, useful info. The site Redhand linked has a bundle of info about tyres and a calculator for converting to metric. A 7.5" tyre comes out at 190mm wide so I will try to replace with a similar size as I have standard wheels and these will fit.

P.S. I shall be down in Bath at the end of the month so if you see a Blue 110 on your travels give us a wave.

Cheers
This website is also pretty useful for comparing tyre sizes:
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

You can enter your existing tyre size, then compare up to 4 other sizes against your originals so you can see the size difference, and how much it would affect your speedo.

If your in Bath, keep an eye out for me in a grey Audi A3 S-Line, my normal day-to-day car, the LR (a grey E-reg 90 pickup) is my weekend car so doesn't get out much ;)

If changing from 7.50R16 tyres to 235/85R16 and you intend using standard LR wheels you should check the wheel width is suitable.

I think standard LR wheels are 5.5 " wide and for example General recommend a minimum 6" wide rim for their 235/85R16 Grabber TR's.

I went for wolf wheels when changing to 235/85R16 but Def130 rims would do as would most 8 spoke/modular.

Land Rover only fit 7.50R16 on standard wheels and 235/85R16 on alloys or 130 rims on new defenders.

Oh.. fella has just ordered 2 but I don't know what the numbers are. He said they only have 3 makes & only 1 was Dunlops/wrangler so we said yes to them.
Ours is an old 110 so what width should I be asking for & I'll ring garage to check?

OK... Can someone help decipher the phone call we've just had from the tyre place.
We rang to check they've been delivered & I was trying to find out what number they are as only 3 makes came up on their computor on Friday. We asked for Wrangler goodyears the same as we've already got on ours.
1st reply was.. they're the really thin ones aren't they?
erm.. don't think so perhaps you could have a look at them again.
Oh.. right the Town & country looking ones, they're huge.

Off to take a look at what they've bought now :(
It's an MOT testing station too... has lots of tyres stocked up.
They will know what should be fitted won't they!

235/85 are the metric equivelent to 7.50's, the 235's are slightly wider though (about 20mm). 7.50's are getting harder to find in this country, I'm trying to find two just to wear the rest of my tyres out as a set then going over to metric. Even the millitary are swapping over to metric I've heard!
7.50's are available in europe though, they lv tem because their not as wide.

CHeers, Ben
Do you want mine Ben?

Back
Top Bottom