• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Off road and green lane preperation?

thebocker28

In Second Gear
Hey there everyone, i've always wanted a landrover defender and have always enjoyed off roading. Having just bought my first landy, replacing my trusty suzuki SJ413, which i'll have u know was an awesome little off roader. I am keen to get into some offroading and green lane-ing with my landy and was just wondering what advice on guards, lifts etc people had.

Many thanks

James :)

To be honest, it depends how severe the tracks are, but our 110 is pretty standard the only thing I would recommend is a steering guard and some jate rings for recovery, and make sure you have good tread on the tyres. Other than that it has gone through stuff that all tricked up 90's have gone through with no problems, wouldn't bother with a snorkel etc.. unless you are going across the desert. alot of the stuff that people put on is really not neaded. Defenders pretty much cope with anything.

I'm currently competing in RTV trials, and mine is near enough to standard apart from added protection: a big thick steering guard, front wrap-around diff guard, strong front bumper/bull bars (not really needed, but the bull bars give the front bumper strength at the ends where they often get pushed back if you have a bump), and thats it. Other than that a good set of mud terrains (I've been using General SAG x-plys, but have just ordered some Insa Turbo Special Tracks) and you'll be fine. We're not even allowed lift kits at the trials, and given some of the terrain, it just goes to show that they aren't really needed.

la la la la la, two subjective posts there! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It depends what you want to do, but as a foundation I would suggest you need good recovery points front and rear, diff guards, side sill bars, drag link & track rod protection and a fuel tank guard.

If you intend to go in water deeper than 30" then fit a snorkel and breather pipes. I do a lot of laning in Wales and so as the weather can be changeable I've done both and often needed this on green lanes.

I build my 90 to do as much as possible, so I've fitted 33" BFG 255/85 x16 MT's to give me extra room under the diff, even if I air them down. To enable me to fit the MT's I've lifted it by 1.5". Without the lift I would have had to cut wheel arch boxes. This also gives slightly better approach, departure and ramp over angles than a standard Defender.

To give better articulation over uneven ground and some times better traction I've fitted longer shocks, adjusted shocks mounts, relcocation cones and longer brake lines. When funds allow I plan to fit X-Eng's rear arms, X-Eng's X-Flex springs to give more downforce, a more flexible A-Frame ball joint and a 3-Link plus detachable roll bar for the front. This will be the limit of my suspension mods.

I've fitted a winch and hi-level bumper, to aid front approach angle and for self recovery. I enter the odd challenge event too so the winch gets used here too.

I've fitted an on-board air set-up to allow me to air down and fill up conveniently.

At some point I may fit a rear ARB diff lock to aid traction. Having had a Hybrid before with front and rear ARB's I'm well aware of the benefits they bring. I'll uprate the half shafts and maybe peg the diff to make it a fit and forget install.

Apart from the protection none of these mods are necessary to enjoy your Defender off-road, but also none of them are simply purchases to look good. All have been used and get used regularly and enable me to enjoy a variation of off-roading I couldn't do in a standard 90!;) ;)

Cheers

Steve:)

Do whatever you want to it . Don't get caught up in the "must have this , must have that " mentality though . For most off roading situations a standard 90 on decent tread and largish tyres will cope .For greenlanes a standard 90 on decent tread and largish tyres will do . You could or probably should fit a steering guard , jates at the front and jates at the rear . Unless you are going to drive through water thats bonnet deep then a snorkel probably won't be required .Trust me , i was bought a snorkel and have driven through water over the headlights and with a good bow wave the wet stuff was no where near my air intake which was on the side of the wing .
Unless you are going to do serious offroading like rock crawling and extreme terrain then there is no point modding the suspension . Sure it looks good on a glory boy motor on a twist off ramp for people to coo at but it costs some serious money to get a decent set up properly confiqured.

Save your money for repairs .
;)

for greenlaning standard is fine as long as the tyres are good.

as you get more serious fit steering and diff gaurds first and the start on the suspension and bigger wheels / tyres etc.

Trust me , i was bought a snorkel and have driven through water over the headlights and with a good bow wave the wet stuff was no where near my air intake which was on the side of the wing .
And if you hit an obstacle under the water that you couldn't see and couldn't go forwards, having to stop, and now your bow wave is no more and the water level is above the air intake??? I'd rather spend some money on a snorkel and sealant than on a hydraulicised engine!:eek: Or not drive in deep water.

Unless you are going to do serious offroading like rock crawling and extreme terrain then there is no point modding the suspension .
What a load of crap! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

And if you hit an obstacle under the water that you couldn't see and couldn't go forwards, having to stop, and now your bow wave is no more and the water level is above the air intake??? I'd rather spend some money on a snorkel and sealant than on a hydraulicised engine!:eek: Or not drive in deep water.

What a load of crap! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

But as an experienced offroader wouldn't you have checked the water obstacle first . You might think it's a load of crap . I call it a waste of money for greenlaner average offroader . Sure you can lift it to accomodate bigger tyres buts for a vehicle thats to be used as a greenlaner it's not worth it .
Then again you're interpretation of extreme terrain is probably different to mine .
:p

steering guard, jate rings. if your not bothered about wading dont bother with a snorkel, just dont go in deep water. you can spend a fortune on underbody protection but most of the time it works out cheaper to fix what ever breaks. its only if you are going on an expedition or somthing where you cant risk damaging stuff. ultimatly it depends what sort of landy you have, ive got an old 110 and ive already ripped a mudflap off and bent all the side steps off road but i cant say im bothered. ive since cut the steps off. But if you drive a brand new TD5 you obviously dont want to risk bending the sills etc, which is why you buy jackable rocksliders.

as for suspension the standard setup is perfecty adaquate for most terrain. sometimes upgraded suspention leaves more room for error as it gets more extreme but if you tread carefully and take more care then you can usually get the same places with standard, with a little more effort and the odd bridging ladder.

The thing about winches, roll cages etc is that you get a lot of satisfaction from fitting it your self and it looks good. a winch is good for peace of mind and i would rather spend money on a winch before i spend serious money on suspension. you can off road on your own with confidence with a winch. A roll cage is a great bit of kit but if you take care you shouldnt be rolling over all that often! although anything can happen. i feel sorry for anyone who has rolled in a standard defender because there seems to be nothing to stop the roof collapsing to bonnet level.

I've copied these from another thread

Take a lot of novices on greenlanes thoughout the year.

Often find there vechicles are well prepared but themselves not, think about suitable clothing and footwear for the season, plenty of food , water and fuel.

Consider the worse even whole groups can get stuck if one vechicle gets into real problems. In winter it gets dark early, torches with batteries Hi-Vist vests.

I even take sleeping bags/thick blankets it gets cold if your waiting around

I know its basic but you'll be surprised how many turn up in tea shirts without even a coat.

How deep is the ocean?

For greenlanning, a standard landy is preddy good, maybe some mud biased tyres.....

But you can add stuff to your landy for ever and still want more.....

Cheers

Put bits on ,take em off again, replace them with better bits , find out they are rubbish and try somthing else.....every body has a viewpoint , and every body does somthing different with their Landy..... do what you want to ......thats the whole point !

Back
Top Bottom