• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Oil Cooler on 2.25?

If you mean an MoD 2.25 oil cooler, you'll need the pipe work, sump and oil filter housing sandwich plate (I can send mine).

I was under the impression that all 2.5s had their oil coolers incorporated in the rads, much like Tdis, but that may be wrong. 2.5s use a different oil filter housing with an internal oilstat for the cooler line union. Both oil cooler lines tap into the filter housing, so you'd have to use that (directly replaces the SIII cartridge filter housing with the spin-on type, so a good improvement anyway) and the associated lines.

Snagger said:
If you mean an MoD 2.25 oil cooler, you'll need the pipe work, sump and oil filter housing sandwich plate (I can send mine).

I was under the impression that all 2.5s had their oil coolers incorporated in the rads, much like Tdis, but that may be wrong. 2.5s use a different oil filter housing with an internal oilstat for the cooler line union. Both oil cooler lines tap into the filter housing, so you'd have to use that (directly replaces the SIII cartridge filter housing with the spin-on type, so a good improvement anyway) and the associated lines.

Sorry Nick, getting mixed up there - It must be an MOD 2.25 as you pointed out.

I've just got back from lying in an oily puddle in horizontal rain taking the radiator off. What a pig of a job that was. Still the radiator looks to be as new and it did have antifreeze in so I know its not holed.

The oil cooler sounds a little more complicated than I had anticipated. I'm sure I could swap them over (eventually with advice!) but is there much point - much to be gained?

I may go back there on Sunday. There's about a dozen MOD 2.25's (and 2.5's) in various stages of deceptitude offering lots of potential spares and goodies - bench seats, canvas tops and sticks etc. I think most are going to be scrapped eventually.

If you can get hold of the sump, pipe work and filter housing sanwich plate you'll be laughing. I had the complication of fitting the 2.25 MoD cooler to the later engine, requiring custom (ie. expensive) piping, but you'll be using standard parts with tha advantage of seeing them fitted in the correct fashion before removing them. I have the sandwich plate (unused and boxed) and the fitting unstructions fo the aftermarket LR kit - let me know if you want them.

Better lubication and oil longevity, better cooling of the pistons preventing cracking, and increased heat dissipation.

If you do get those bits, get the oil pump from the one whose sump you remove - you need to replace the pressure relief valve with a blank from the donor pump.

You need the cooler, the pipes, the sump, the filter housing sandwich plate and the donor's oil pump relif valve replacement.

The system works by diverting excess oil flow through the oil cooler instaed of dumping it straight from the pump back into the sump. This excess flow is tapped by a sandwich plate or collar that fits between the standard filter housing and the block. This oil runs through a pipe on the right hand side to the oil cooler. The return line runs along the left chassis rail to a tapping on the left side of the sump. The sumps usually have a thrid tapping for an oil temperature guage sender unit, which you'd need to leave fitted as a blank. The cooler feed line has a valve at mid point which nly opens if there is excess oil pressure, so whenever the oil pressure drops below operating norms the full flow is sent to the engine (it's the excess capacity that is cooled).

Snagger said:

2.5NA's had both types of cooler. Early ones used the seperate cooler matrix, later ones had a heat exhanger in the rad.
The 2.5 filter housing could be used with the Series type matrix. How come you didn't go for that Nick?
I've got a full, early 2.5 oil cooler kit that's gonna get split up between my 110 and Series1. I'm assuming the bolt/port pattern on the 2.5 housing is the same as the Series1 pattern........
I'm gonna use the matrix on my V8 if I can find the proper V8 oil cooler adaptor set. Might have to plunge for a new one from Craddocks at 60quid, and see how complete the boxed set-up is.........

swag

swag298 said:
The 2.5 filter housing could be used with the Series type matrix. How come you didn't go for that Nick?

Of course, looking at your website, I see that's what you've done anyway. Doh!

swag

Back
Top Bottom