• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

P38 Fuel Flap Stuck

GazNicki

In Third Gear
I tried to fill the Rangerover with fuel at the petrol station this evening with the Kids and the Wife in the car. Was a little drive to all get used to the new wheels.

To my suprise, the fuel flap will not open. The button on the dash just doesn't work at all. I have checked the fuse (#14 in the Drivers Seat fuse box) and that is all fine. I have removed the surround where the button is located and removed the button. The connection is fine and solid (or so it seems) and the wiring looks good as far as I can tell, but the button just doesn't respond. I have tried after removing and replacing the fuse, but still no go on the button.

Is there a way of over-riding this button for now so I can at least get some fuel in the car? I have LPG on the motor too and the LPG is full, but the fuel is needed to start the car in the first place, and is very low now.

Any help is much appreciated.

Possibility its not in the button, how many wires on rear of button?
You could check for live in and use a bypass cable to see if it opens the flap.
Did it work before? or is it the first time you have fueled up?

These switches are prone to failing, but first of all, you did have the ignition switched to "O" when you tried opening it, didn't you ?
If the switch is fubared then you can manually open the flap from inside by removing the right hand side trim in the boot - tie a bit of string to the latch from inside to use as a pull until you get a new switch

Thanks guys.

There are two wires leading from the switch, and I can't test to see if there is a live as I don't have the tools for that :(

However, I have stripped the boot and attached a wire tie to it to get the fuel flap open. And yes, this is the first time it has been fuelled by me. So I will be ringing the dealer up tomorrow as there are a few other things I am a little dissatisfied with so far lol.

Cheers guys.

Back
Top Bottom