• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Paper driving licence

Big Sandy

Administrator
Staff member
I have just filled in the renewal application for my driving licence, ten years since I did it last.

The new licence arrives, its only the photocard part. Apparently the dvla did away with the paper counterpart in 2015. After March 31 2000 paper counterparts weren't issued seemingly.

That makes sense, yes?

Now, just to muddy the waters a bit, here's what it tells you on the dvla website about paper counterparts.

"What to do with your paper counterpart​

The paper counterpart to a driving licence has had no legal status since 8 June 2015. You should destroy yours if you have one, but keep your photocard driving licence.

If you have a paper driving licence​

Paper driving licences issued before 31 March 2000 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence.

When you update your name or address, or renew your licence, you’ll only get a photocard licence."

So.... Destroy it! But...... Don't destroy it!

Aaargh! Beurocracy!

I have just filled in the renewal application for my driving licence, ten years since I did it last.

The new licence arrives, its only the photocard part. Apparently the dvla did away with the paper counterpart in 2015. After March 31 2000 paper counterparts weren't issued seemingly.

That makes sense, yes?

Now, just to muddy the waters a bit, here's what it tells you on the dvla website about paper counterparts.

The paper counterpart to a driving licence has had no legal status since 8 June 2015. You should destroy yours if you have one, but keep your photocard driving licence.

Paper driving licences issued before 31 March 2000 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence.

When you update your name or address, or renew your licence, you’ll only get a photocard licence."

Aaargh! Beurocracy!
Yeah got confused in September with the same thing . I decided to keep mine for prosperity but I do find it difficult to throw ANYTHING away 🤣

:D Only yesterday I used my paper driving license as part of the identity checks for a DBS certificate...accompanied by the usual comments of 'what the hell is that !' and mis-information that you're supposed to hand the paper ones in etc :rolleyes:

Apparently you can now view your licence online, and also get a code which will share the details with, say, a prospective employer.

Yeah, like I'm a doing that.

That makes sense, yes?

Aaargh! Beurocracy!

I suspect that really you know this already, ;) but I'll comment anyway:

Unless you applied for a replacement licence after 31/3/200, you will still have the original paper licence. This remains valid and so isn't something to destroy.

Post 31/3/2000, if you applied for a new licence, or perhaps changed address or for some other reason needed to get a replacement licence, then you had to get a photocard licence which came with a paper counterpart.

The counterpart became redundant 8/6/2015. Since the counterpart is redundant, it can be destroyed.

A paper version of the full uk driver's licence is NOT the same thing as the paper counterpart to a photocard licence, so the two shouldn't be confused.

That's how I read it too @Cliff4WD

But you have to admit, they are as usual using govdeptspeak, which is barely comprehendable at the best of times. It does say "counterpart" and "licence" quite separately, but I bet its caught a few out. It certainly caught me aback when I first read it... Had to read it a couple of times before I got it. (one of them days.)

Anybody here got an original paper licence? I went to a photo card one in 2000 as we had a change of address. This is my third photo one. Scary to compare the photos... God I look old all of a sudden. Maybe cos I am?

Incidentally, £14 to renew the licence online. It would be £21.50 to do it in the post office.

I filled the paperwork in online on Monday, and the card arrived this morning. Some service!

Goodie. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the new card Licences only allowed up to 3.5tonnes. I don't often need the bigger limit - just when hiring trucks for family house moves or big stuff. Wife would like a dumper truck

i have to renew mine every 5 years (hgv) and pay about £100 for a medical check up . good thing is i have a uk flag on mine .i have also heard that at the age of 70 when you renew you lose 7.5 ton and trailers . now its time to get a blue passport .

Yep, I had to renew mine and lose the paper part as I was 70 in June. I sent it off 3 months to the day before my birthday as that is what it says you can do, it was the day before lockdown started. I got it back at the end of August 2 months after my birthjday. Fortunately the guidance leaflet says that you can drive for up to a year without your licence if you can prove that DVLA have it so send your application (if you only have a paper licence like me you have to make a postal application) signed for and keep the Post Office receipt. Carry the receipt and the guidance notes with you as you would your licence then Mr Plod cannot complain, you have stuck to the rules.

Yes I did lose my 7.5 tonne bit and as it was in the middle of the chaos I didnt do anything about it, I could get it back if I paid for a medical but I havent needed it for 20 years. You keep the important bit, the ability to tow up to 8.25 tonnes train weight.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom