• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

parabolic springs ?

scootlife

Accelerating Away
Are they as good as everyone says ?????? Fed up with getting "farmer giles !! " out in my S2 . Will i get a less agricultural drive with parabolics ??

To an extent. If you're wanting a ride given by coil springs, then don't bother as they don't achieve that.

Personally, I think parabolics are ideal to go to if you're in need of replacing the springs and do not need to carry heavy loads.

Are your springs properly lubricated?

The reason why I ask the above question is because a lot of what people say about them being so good is because they were replacing knackered and very tired springs.

I lubricated my original springs and they were in good nick. After lubrication I noticed the ride soften slighty. I then moved to parabolics and the ride improved again. Not as good as coils, but not to far off in the comfort area :)

I think I have heavy duty springs on mine anyway, its just rock solid . springs are not that old looking at them, what best thing to lube them with? Spray grease ? Everyone raves on about them, but i didint know if they would really make any difference. Just been reading Advert in LRM and Rocky Mountain do Series disk brakes !!! Anyone know anything about them ???

Putting Para's on will certainly make a big difference! But try lubing them first. I just wacked a load of grease on mine, but im sure someone will tell you the correct procedure :)

what best thing to lube them with? Spray grease ?

I heard that standard engine oil applied with a brush is as good as anything.

Perhaps a job for tomorrow night after the window?:rolleyes:

And i think your springs must be heavy duty as they seem a lot stiffer than those on Bertie.

Cool. Will get the window sorted first ( so long as its dry ) , and might even have time to finish off fitting the winch !!!!!!!

HI

Go for it. I have to admit the first time I drove my 2a with the parabolics it frightenened the c**p out of me , i went into a large roundabout on the A1 and the old sod leaned!!!!! . But I have to say the ride is great, it was not safe at 45 . following a diff change pre speedo recal I was curious about a rattle at 55 on the speedo!!! nuff said when i checked 43=60,23=30!!!

So they would make the ride a bit softer then? Unfortunately i do not have the luxury of a working speedo !! I have a light that illuminates it though ( great for limited mileage insurance..) , thats another job for me to do, cable or change clocks which i have both of in the garage ... Oh the joys of Land Rover ownership....

So they would make the ride a bit softer then? .

A bit softer?

Have you had the Land Rover over a week and not put Para's on it yet? Why not?

You can't make a better addition to a series land Rover. I went from new springs to Rocky Mountain Parabolics. Not from clapped out old rust buckets. The ride is so good, words can't describe it. You MUST install appropriate shock absorbers at the same time.

Scootlife - I am in the same boat as you, only that I am sitting down here in the South of Africa, so the price of parabolics is quite steep.

Anyway, have a look at this thread on lubricating springs. https://www.lrukforums.com/showthread.php?t=77032&highlight=spring+lubrication
Some nice advice there. I sprayed my springs with penetrating oil last night. A bit of a difference, but I think I need to take mine off and do a proper job of it.

There is also a polyethylene tape that you can put between the leaves to help them slide over eachother. See this link: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/spring_rates.htm

I have no idea what parabolics feel like, so can't help there.

Parabolics are very good, but you also need to fit gas dampers.

If your suspension is truly solid at the moment, something may have seized. Tyr apply a mixture of oil and diesel to the springs. It's also worth chacking your dampers - they can seize too, ending up, for all intents and purposes, as solid iron bars between the axle and chassis.

mmmm where do i start. :rolleyes:

Well..........

The use of para's have been a little exagerated i feel. The miracles in suspension improvement are in comparison with the rusted soild, semi broken, flattened, bolts seized in bushes, hardly used standard leafs.
So the relative comparison is a little leading, putting a small child inbetween the bump stops would give a better performance than the old leafs.
Para's give better articulation:
Well not strictly true; actually, i know a chap with 'Own branded' 3 leaf rear 2 front para's on his 88"IIA. And whilst trialing his landy will cock a wheel and X-axle where mine just trundals through.
My other mate has a 88"II on RM paras (2,2) and by recogning he has about an inch maybe two more articulation against mine.
For pure articulation you want the now not sold Chris perfect / Ti Conconsole 2 leaf para's they are very soft and flexible. My mates brother had this and that would go where even his wouldn't.

As a downside to the softer nature of para's is that road handaling suffers, They will roll more on the road but again mine rolls into the corners like my dad's 90. So it isn't just the para shod landies that rolls in the corners. my little brothers II has petrol fronts and has HD petrols on the rear, and it handels like a rollar skate and will corner flat, where mine will heal over. But his ride is hard and jarring. mine is softer not like a coiler but it isn't too crippaling you don't wince when hitting bumps and you don't leave your seat either.

So you might ask what do paras have in advantage?
Well they have a quicker bump reaction. They are more receptive to smaller bump forces and on the larger bumps, they will rebound quicker and conform to the terrian. From my background and experience in trialing is that where momentum and holding traction on tricky climbs, the para's are more adept at conforming to the terrian and so holding traction. Where as the standard leafs will have the odd occasion with a tyre in the air for a little longer and so not holding traction and so not pulling the landy forward.

IMHO just for the small increase in comfort (which i have after market seats which cancel that discomfort) and the rare occasion whilst trialing that i have to go up slopes that require holding traction the expense of many hundreds of quid just isn't worth it.

IMHO i would do what i do.
Oil them with old engine oil periodically.
Give them lots of regular work my landy is in weekly use driving on the lanes and up and down tracks and other uneven surfaces.
Also on regular occasions really flex them to extremes of articulation do this a few times after you have oiled them.

This combination of really working the springs hard and lubricating them to reduce interleaf friction will result in a smoother ride that the softer of parabolics will be able to slightly better. As above i RTV mine and take it on regular laning trips, all this allows for a nice ride on the road apart from the leaning in the corners.
As for the articulation. I'm currently tweeking my setup still retaining the standard springs but release the further articulation still availble in the current setup.

Thing is, Devon, that you are not comparing like-for-like. To comapre standard leafs to HD paras is unfair. Regular paras will be more compliant than standard leafs, and HD paras will be more compliant than std HD springs and will generally also carry heavier loads. That said, there is also a lot of difference between brands.

I agree that the claims are often exaggerated, and certainly many comparisons to std springs are made unwittingly to worn or seized springs, but good quality paras are a more comfortable ride and have better articulation. Whether it's worth the price is dpendant on the use and condition of the vehicle and the owners preference and depth of pockets.

Exactly. the RM's can just out flex me, so can the TiConsole ones. but the lesser own branded ones do seem to be harder. and have less articulation. but not proven fact.. yet! ;)

interesting responses, and maybe what i was kind of hoping !! I dont really carry any loads and dont drive it much on road just a bit of laning/off roading a couple of times a month if i can, so I probably wouldnt get any major benefits other than a tad more axle articulation. Comfort wise , well standard S2 seats...so cant expect any more than what they offer. It sounds like is just down to price really as to whether its worth approx £400 for decent springs and shocks????? Might have to revert to my Plan A, which was to add coil spring mounts to my chassis and pick up a set of RR axles ( disks and coils ..yippee..) I have all the mounts from a pals rotten 90, but Im concerened about vehicle approval test and poss Q plate... ( if i tell anyone of course!! )

Back
Top Bottom