• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

private plates

matt1295

In Fourth Gear
im looking at getting a private plate for my freelander and was wondering if there was any more charges and do u have to change your tax dis and so on any advise would be helpful as i not got a plate b4

You need to get an MOT, then an MOT on the car you want the plates off ( if it is MOT exempt, like a Tractor or Plant Vehicle, you don't need to, obviously).

Then take them both with the V5s and the Fee to a Vehicle Licensing centre, (we use Preston) and the Application Form.

We do it quite often.

Chris

my freelander already has mot till september and the pate is new from dvla so its not on a car so does that make it any easier

You need to get an MOT, then an MOT on the car you want the plates off ( if it is MOT exempt, like a Tractor or Plant Vehicle, you don't need to, obviously).
Chris

I thought the registration numbers on tractors and the like were not transferrable anyway? - part of the reason being that they are MOT exempt.

my freelander already has mot till september and the pate is new from dvla so its not on a car so does that make it any easier

Easy peasy.

Bestest and fastest way is to take your shiny new certificate (for the number you bought) along with your MOT and registration document to your local licensing office in Scarborough on Seamer Road YO12 4DH: 01723 500488

They give you a new tax disc and stamp your MOT certificate with the new reg number.

If you haven't done it already, get the plates made up and fix them to the Freelander.

They will also have given you an addressed envelope to return the old tax disc to them.

A new registration document arrives in the post.

Job done.:D

You cannot get the plates made up until you can produce the V5 and a Passport or Picture Driving Licence. The Regs have changed.

You can't fit the plates until you have the proper documentation.

We get the salemen changing the plates before we MOT the vehicle, so they have to put the old ones back on.

We have to get a new set of plates for the car they are coming off, so both have to have a new MOT.

If you are buying the plates from the DVLA and "returning" the old ones for re issue, they might not request an MOT. Ask first.

chris

I can't remember when the start date is, but it will soon be an MOT Fail if the plates aren't exactly as the diagram we have been sent.

Any bad spacing, mottos, wrong font and those reflector type. They must be able to be read by the scanners.

When we wanted trailer plates for the Harvest tractors, we had to produce the V5 and the Manager had to prove who he was. We wanted 5 plates all the same, but they wouldn't do it ( This was in Huntingdon) Trailers just need a registration off any vehicle owned by the Farm, so we use the latest Tractor.

According to the rules, even if you pull up with a broken plate after hitting something, and the vehicle, they shouldn't make the plates without the relevent paperwork.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom