• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Proper Paint Colour 1974 Series 3

I just bought this 1974 Series 3 and am trying to figure out what the proper red colour to use. I want to keep the patina on the panels but need to fix some rusted areas inside. I’ve searched and come up with Poppy Red, Masai Red or no mention. I am in the Vermont and can’t find PPG Ditzler references for this year. Any thoughts welcome on finding the right original colour and modern supply to match here in the US.

I’m also happy to look across the seas for the best advice for this classic British truck. I’m sure this won’t be the last question. Thanks in advance

IMG_7398.jpeg

Nice looking series you have there. It looks like it's the same color as my 71' and I've been told mine is Masai Red. That being said your paint has undoubtedly faded some so if you're looking for a decent match for touch-up work I'd suggest you take it to a reputable body shop and have them analyze it with their modern computerized testing gizmos. A pro should be able to match it pretty close. Personally I think it looks beautiful as it is and wouldn't mess with it but each to their own. Looking forward to seeing more of your vehicle! 😁

Nice looking series you have there. It looks like it's the same color as my 71' and I've been told mine is Masai Red. That being said your paint has undoubtedly faded some so if you're looking for a decent match for touch-up work I'd suggest you take it to a reputable body shop and have them analyze it with their modern computerized testing gizmos. A pro should be able to match it pretty close. Personally I think it looks beautiful as it is and wouldn't mess with it but each to their own. Looking forward to seeing more of your vehicle! 😁
Agree that I want to keep the exterior panels as is. But the interior needs some work and wanted to start with the proper colour. I had heard Masai was the one but the read elsewhere that the 1974 colour was Poppy… maybe I’m overthinking it. Thanks!

What is that phrase?
It is only original once.
If it were mine I would be tempted to leave it exactly as it is. The interior wouldn't be as worn/faded as the exterior because it doesn't get the same level of exposure as the exterior
This probably won't help much but:

I'd say masai red.

However, all that being said, what I would do is go to a paint shop and get them to colour match to what you have now.

Red is a bugger for fading, and any new paint of the correct original colour will stand out like a boil on a pigs belly. Get it colour matched and you won't see it. Unless you t-cut it later on down the line of course.

I'd say masai red.

However, all that being said, what I would do is go to a paint shop and get them to colour match to what you have now.

Red is a bugger for fading, and any new paint of the correct original colour will stand out like a boil on a pigs belly. Get it colour matched and you won't see it. Unless you t-cut it later on down the line of course.
So true about fading red paint ,the wife’s son bought a red Corsa 4 years ago it’s now like a very dark pink colour ..🤣
We told him don’t get a red car .🤗

Thanks guys! It looks like Masai Red is the winner. I do intend to keep the patina as is on the exterior and may even “add to it” as I intend to do some off-roading in our Green Mountains. But wanted to work on some rusty areas inside and in the wheel wells and wanted to also know for general knowledge! Am excited to drive into history, so to speak

What is that phrase?
It is only original once.
If it were mine I would be tempted to leave it exactly as it is. The interior wouldn't be as worn/faded as the exterior because it doesn't get the same level of exposure as the exterior
This probably won't help much but:

Excellent… I wonder if I can get these paints here. Will check out Paint Man thx

If Paint Man is accurate… Poppy Red was a 2A colour and the 3 was Masai Red. I’ll go with that delineation. Thanks all around

Attachments

• IMG_7599.jpeg
    IMG_7599.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7598.jpeg
    IMG_7598.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 16
I just bought this 1974 Series 3 and am trying to figure out what the proper red colour to use. I want to keep the patina on the panels but need to fix some rusted areas inside. I’ve searched and come up with Poppy Red, Masai Red or no mention. I am in the Vermont and can’t find PPG Ditzler references for this year. Any thoughts welcome on finding the right original colour and modern supply to match here in the US.

I’m also happy to look across the seas for the best advice for this classic British truck. I’m sure this won’t be the last question. Thanks in advance

View attachment 532800
Lovely Series 👍👍.
If you’re painting steel interior bits then that’s straight forward. If it’s the alloy Birmabright panels you will need a special primer . My Series 3 was partially repainted by a previous owner without the right primer and it’s flaking off again.
I’ll leave specific advice on what the primer should be to others on the forum as it’s not my strong point.
Finally welcome to the forum and enjoy your Landy 👍

Innerfarmer, too bad paintman will not ship to the US. I'm looking for a source for Marine Blue here in Colorado. Very difficult to find for a reasonable price.
Let us know your source if you find one. Thanks

Lovely Series 👍👍.
If you’re painting steel interior bits then that’s straight forward. If it’s the alloy Birmabright panels you will need a special primer . My Series 3 was partially repainted by a previous owner without the right primer and it’s flaking off again.
I’ll leave specific advice on what the primer should be to others on the forum as it’s not my strong point.
Thanks. Am mostly addressing rust in the steel parts or the galvanic oxidation between the steel and aluminum bits… may discover more as I dig in…

Lovely Series 👍👍.
Thankfully ..i will only listen to part of your advice on the use of etch primer ... the flaking paint is the way to get that patina look ... is my theory ...:rofl:

Innerfarmer, too bad paintman will not ship to the US. I'm looking for a source for Marine Blue here in Colorado. Very difficult to find for a reasonable price.
Let us know your source if you find one. Thanks
Am
Just tapping into local resources so happy to share any finds! Went today into the mountains for the Vermont Rovers annual get together… probably 100 different vintages… so cool!

And mine made the 100 mile round trip without any problems… phew!

Attachments

• F764DC3D-D57A-4D88-9444-08AC4BD4F55C.jpeg
    F764DC3D-D57A-4D88-9444-08AC4BD4F55C.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 5A7920F0-6032-46CE-B8C9-C9CB8A34AD80.jpeg
    5A7920F0-6032-46CE-B8C9-C9CB8A34AD80.jpeg
    744.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6339.jpeg
    IMG_6339.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 14
Nice! Looks like fun. Glad to hear your machine made the trip alright. Say... what are you running for tires on that thing? I'm in the market for a fresh set of boots myself but it's not easy to envision what the different makes and sizes will look like once installed. Yours look nicely proportional to the vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom