• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Proposed MOT changes

I've seen this before. It's largely because the government messed up again with their great plans. The MOT Computer System is causing a backlog so great that something like this is needed now. :rolleyes: :eek:

This sounds like a rant based on absolutely no research, or at least not quoted in the body of the article.

The main cause of deaths here (in Spain) are driving while 1) under influence of drugs/alcohol and 2) speed (not a another drug aka driving too fast).

The first MoT test here is after 4 years, thereafter annual every year until it is one of those old bangers unwanted on the road whereupon it is every six months. :(

Naturally this doesn't worry a lot of people as they don't bother going for it anyway, leaving it six months, 12 months, a few years, sometime never.

Interestingly you should have the current sticker displayed in the window (rather than the tax disc), and carry the certified paperwork in your vehicle.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter too much round here if people don't have the test certificate, as 1) they don't drive fast, or 2) smoke very much dope, or 3) drink too many anises in the morning with their coffee before they go to work, because - they never go very far. ;)

Local stats here actually show that major accidents are in the main caused by young people in new cars (hence not needing ITV aka MoT) driving too fast, and sometimes under the influence as well.

NB we have ours - see rant in Series section:rolleyes:

Not relevant but why worry about an ITV here when a large percentage don't bother with driving licence or insurance either??:eek: :eek:

Most accident I have seen/been involved in had nothing to do with the road worthiness of the car! Usually speed, inexperience or drink!

In nz it is i think after the first three years you need to have one every 6 months and a sticker along with your tax must be displayed in the window.....

CHeers

While i agree most accidents are caused by speeding or people just not looking what they are doing i have run a garage for around 22 years and we get some what i call death traps come in for a M.O T if a car is serviced on a regular basis they don,t cause to many problems but most are not if a car has been advised on say tyres or brake wear that car can then run for 2 years if it makes it that long without having an accident so yes if a car is well serviced at regular intervals but most are not anymore the only check they get is when they have a M.O.T

I've heard about this before but round here in rural Wales getting a MOT appointment is like getting a Dentist (private or NHS) or a appointment at a GP (in some cases getting one) there are few garages.

Around Xmas i had to SORN the vechicle cause I could not get an MOT appointment at a local station, I tried within the first few days (month period) and was told waiting list 3 weeks, most of the other stations were the same.

In furture I will book months in advance but i expect everyone else to do the same

By the way Petrol stations on a Sunday nearly all shut or closed down except for the large ones in towns

As for every 2 years I can see it might cause some more accidents i tend to check mine on a regualar basis cause i go off road most weekend, but i know most people don't service old cars and just put them though the MOT

I've heard about this before but round here in rural Wales getting a MOT appointment is like getting a Dentist (private or NHS) or a appointment at a GP (in some cases getting one) there are few garages.

Around Xmas i had to SORN the vechicle cause I could not get an MOT appointment at a local station, I tried within the first few days (month period) and was told waiting list 3 weeks, most of the other stations were the same.

In furture I will book months in advance but i expect everyone else to do the same

By the way Petrol stations on a Sunday nearly all shut or closed down except for the large ones in towns

As for every 2 years I can see it might cause some more accidents i tend to check mine on a regualar basis cause i go off road most weekend, but i know most people don't service old cars and just put them though the MOT
Hi yes i am glad to hear you check your motor on a regular basis as i am sure most on this site do as we like playing with our land rovers but it,s joe public who just get in and drive day in and day out without getting them looked at that concern me we tend to do more miles now with better roads etc and things wear as i said a 2 year check will cause more accidents {i guess you have to make sure you fill your tank up on a friday }:)

Yea i agree however always though it was odd new cars do not need one for 3 years, some could do vast mileage which would affect certain components, Also out MOT man states the most likely to fail are those which go though the MOT for the first time, it would be interesting with computer mot's to see the stats

getting fuel is a growing concern on greenlane days even with a full tank a series can get though quite a bit in a day, we have had to cut short several routes cause of the shortage of garages or carry jerrycan around with us.

Yes they are going to link the rolling road brake test to the computer in the near future the current M.O.T system was about 5 years out of date when it came out {would like to see some green lane photos if you get time}

getting fuel is a growing concern on greenlane days even with a full tank a series can get though quite a bit in a day, we have had to cut short several routes cause of the shortage of garages or carry jerrycan around with us.
Don't I know it. :( It's entirely possible to use up a full tank of petrol on a Series with the 2.25 Petrol, in just a day.

With the introduction of speed bumps in most towns now, suspension wear is much greater, especialy on vehicles such as taxis, private hire vehicles, public service vehicles and the emergency services, a two year wait for an MOT is in my opinion too long. Plus in this climate of ours with the prolific use of road salt during cold snaps older vehicles can rot a hell of a lot in two years.

Of course, most of the backlash against these proposals seem to come from garage owners who stand to have MOT tests and associated work slashed by 50 %....or other bodies with a vested interest........interestingly, I understand the fail rate has dropped by around 4% since the introduction of computerisation.

For the average Joe, testing the car every 2 years can only be a benefit.....I know I would look forward to it........

I agree that there will be a danger of cars falling into greater disrepair over a 2 year period however that's what the con+use regs are there for....far wider ranging than an MOT .....we just need to make sure the infrastructure is there to enforce con+use.....maybe time to consider handing such enforcement over to another body other than the police who are increasingly concentrating on crime.

Don't I know it. :( It's entirely possible to use up a full tank of petrol on a Series with the 2.25 Petrol, in just a day.

Yea I know one of our routes, we fill up just before , and fill up at the next station, £42 we got in which meant at the time less than 6 litres left, V8's will just not cope

Does anyone know of a good filling station location website which is up to date and got phone numbers of stations to check?

We did the same route exactly in a Dicso, got just £19 worth of derv in which shows why quite a few people put 200tdi's into series now these days

As for the photos our kid bought one of these camcorders and the software with it has writen over all the existing photo software computers eh!

why dont we have a wee look to see what they do in Irland where you dont need an M.O.T or is it the isle of man ,cant remember could be both.

supose what might happen is that there will be far more stop checks being done by the polis wich actualy might be a better thing as there are so many cars on the road that have a valid M.O.T but are certainly not road worthy

Back
Top Bottom