• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

quick let me in.

redhand

Big Landy Fan
Hi everyone have just abandoned the defender brigade and brought a discovery so if anyone asks you haven't seen me:D

It's a 1993 Disco TDI 3 door 189,000 on the clock. It was pi**ing it down and dark when I picked it up, But took a torch and only probs I could see were, steering box leaking where steering column enters box, and a hole about 3" x 1" on nearside rear body where back door closes. and hole in sill near offside rear wheel arch. oh and the window winders are naff had to pull window up as it wouldn't close on it's own.

There is a clunking noise when taking up the drive or when dipping the throttle. I think it is probably a worn UJ on one of the propshafts.

Will have a better look at it tomorrow. any advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

have just driven it from Accrington to Leeds and it runs really smooth

Hello.:)
If there is some of the red stuff on the sills and near back door you should have a look at rear cross member and boot floor.
Rear cross member is different than the defender,it is body rather than chassis.I have just put a new one on mine,the old one had been bodged well with newspaper and a skim of filler.:rolleyes:

Hello.:)
If there is some of the red stuff on the sills and near back door you should have a look at rear cross member and boot floor.
Rear cross member is different than the defender,it is body rather than chassis.I have just put a new one on mine,the old one had been bodged well with newspaper and a skim of filler.:rolleyes:

Floor is solid had a good prod and poke cross mamber looks ok passed it's mot 21/12/06 so I'm assuming it will be ok. It's only had 2 owners from new. last owner had it from 1995 till now. and it's got full service history.

Floor is solid had a good prod and poke cross mamber looks ok passed it's mot 21/12/06 so I'm assuming it will be ok. It's only had 2 owners from new. last owner had it from 1995 till now. and it's got full service history.

Actually just lifted rubber cover between door opening and rear bumper and there's quiet a few holes / rot in it. So looks like the Bro's gnna be busy. I assume that as it's just passed it's mot this area doesn't count as structural.

Nope, as you have a seperate chassis, it's really only the seat belt and drivers seat mountings that are inspected.

If the Steering box leak is more irritating than bad, put a can of Lucas stop leak for PAS in, it is pretty good stuff and less damaging than the brake fluid tip you often hear about. Obviously, not a cure, but give you time to get some cash together.

Chris

Nope, as you have a seperate chassis, it's really only the seat belt and drivers seat mountings that are inspected.

If the Steering box leak is more irritating than bad, put a can of Lucas stop leak for PAS in, it is pretty good stuff and less damaging than the brake fluid tip you often hear about. Obviously, not a cure, but give you time to get some cash together.

Chris

Have just filled it with Slick50 Power Steering fluid but looking at the amount of fluid on the chassis / axles and swivel I think it's going to be a new steering box. Paddocks are advertising recon ones at £179 + vat. It said price included £100 surcharge but that bit didn't make sense as that would make it £79 + vat. Which seems a bit cheap to me.

I've just had a look, all boxes are down as out of stock, but they do say inclusive of surcharge.

Get one with the drop arm fitted. £20 more, but less heartache trying to get the old one off. ( ask Dave H)

Chris

I've just had a look, all boxes are down as out of stock, but they do say inclusive of surcharge.

Get one with the drop arm fitted. £20 more, but less heartache trying to get the old one off. ( ask Dave H)

Chris

Will give em a ring on Monday and find out when/if they're restocking and what the actual price is.

Well just plucked up the courage to lift carpet in rear. Floor is ROTTEN :shake:

Oh well if I Can just offer any potential discovery owners 3 pieces of advice it is:

A/ Never go to look at it in the dark

B/ Never go look at in when it's raining

C/ Take a screwdriver and take the rear carpet up :D If he protests walk away

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually rots at the front edge, where the rear seats are. Is that where it is rotten?

Chris

haven't taken all the carpet up yet. Just 1st 10"/12" near door Daren't go any further :D But it's gonna need a new floor panel. Fortunately my bro is a good welder so shouldn't be too much of a prob. I got it cheap off Ebay so I was expecting to have to do some work on it. I spotted the PAS leak and a few small holes when I went to buy it just missed the obvious that's all :(
This is the one I brought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=300069367294&rd=1&rd=1

Actually it is a misconception that the new floor has to be welded in.Much easier to use stainless nuts and bolts and rivets.

It depends how far gone the floor is. If the needs new side sections as well it's a weldiing job. Bit irrelevent to me anyway as part of brothers last job was Preparing HGV trailers (mainly Sawdust boxes) and they almost always needed welding. He also extended a few truck chassis's to convert them to tilt and slide bed recovery trucks. Biggest prob will be getting him to turn power down so he doesn't burn straight thru new panel.

Get him to bob tail it while he is at it.:D :D :D

Can't do that it's my new daily driver / builders van. It will spend most of its time carrying tools and materials and been used and abused.

Got a step daughter in Farnboro Hants, step son in Anglesey and parents/siblings in peterborough so will be doing lots of motorway mileage as well.

Will be looking for a detachable tow hitch for it soon.

Back
Top Bottom