• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

R/R drive shafts into Series L/R

Mad Butcher

In Fourth Gear
If fitting R/R drive shafts front or rear into a series L/R is there anything to look out for?
Do all R/R drive shafts have constant velocity joints?
Are they good on articulation?
Stronger?

Range Rover Axles (if that's what you're talking about) are coil sprung. This means you have to modify them so that they can be fitted to leaf springs.

They also have disc brakes all round too, and all of them use constant velocity joints.

Articulation is completely down to the suspension setup, not what axle you are using, too. While strength wise, I think the early Range Rover Classics had 10-spline halfshafts and the later ones towards the end of production used 24.

These axles are also wider and would have the wheels on your Series 1 sticking out from the wheel arches. That's why the coil sprung utility models have wheel arch extensions.

If fitting R/R drive shafts front or rear into a series L/R is there anything to look out for?

:confused: If you are talking about fitting RR drive shafts into series axle casings, they wont fit as RR axles are wider.:)

Not the axeles etc.
The bit that goes between the transfer box flange and the front diff input flange.
Are the constant velocity joints I've read about on this Forun on a R/R in the swivel housings?
Sorry for all the dumb questions but never had a look under a R/R.
I'm still lost in the 50's

He means propshafts, We call them drive shafts here in North America too. I admit it threw me for a loop at first because I am used to everyone here using the British term (naturally). When I talk about an American truck I call them driveshafts, when I am talking about LRs I call them prop shafts.

Anyway they'd still likely be too long and need modification.

I might be wrong, but pretty well everything that is on coils runs CVs in the front swivels. ( Some one will know either way) Some of the early stuff might not.

Chris

I think he might be talking about the later coiler drive shafts, er propshafts that have CVs or cardan joints? didn't Disco IIs have them? perhaps later RRs too?

A quick look says P38 has normal UJs and Disco 2 has Double carden on the front shaft rear end, and a rubber donut on the rear shaft rear end, then normal UJs on both prop front ends.

Later RR 2002 on has no CVs.

Chris

No Range Rover Classics have propshafts with CV joints. I don't know about the later models to be able to comment on them.

You would have an issue with propshaft lengths if you were to fit a Range Rover propshaft.

Ta for that.

My front prop shaft has a wobble in it from when I shortened it in fitting a 109 S3 front diff into my S1.
Rather than break the weld and re-weld it I thought it may be easier to fit a R/R prop shaft, if that would be an improvement.
I don't mind changing the length of a prop shaft to make it fit.

Yes it is between Range Rover Classics and Series vehicles. It's also common to the coil sprung utility models, and Discovery 1 too.

To be honest whether fitting range rover props or series props it will make no difference at all. The only reason for fitting a range rover prop is if you have a very supple and long articulating suspension set up. The yokes, uj's will have greater movement in them so will allow for the extra angles created as the exle drops lower than it would with standard suspension.

The main thing to worry about as you have already found out it when shortening it, make sure it is balanced. It may pay to get a machinist/welder to do it for you.
So if your suspension is pretty standard, just put a series prop in there.

Back
Top Bottom