• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Re-installing XP

rooster

Offroader
Hi all,

My computer started to blue screen a lot at random, so I've moved onto my other computer and haven't used the other since. How do I reinstall window's XP?

I have:

Windows XP disc
Computer that's needs kicking
All my work back-up so nothing will be lost (learnt that the hard way)

Now, this is something I've never done before. What happens? Do I just put the disc in and turn on the computer and follow the onscreen instructions? Because it's a SATA hard drive will that make things difficult?

Just some basic questions to get me started, but I may need to ask more later, unless I'm missing something. Also I'm not an idiot with computers, just never done this before, and was just after a heads up sort of thing.

Cheers

If you haven't got a disc with the drivers on (for stuff like graphic cards, DVD RW etc) then get them before you start. Then you can install any bits of hardware that XP doesn't have a driver for

If over half of the hard drive is free then I would partition it so you can still access you old stuff if you need too (like drivers etc).

With these driver's, A computer can boot from it's CD drive? So why do I need the drivers for the CD drive, and once XP is installed then why can't I go onto the internet and start to install the drivers for the Sound cards, Graphics cards etc then?

Patriot, i have no interest in anything on the hard drive at present, (i'll look for the drivers anyway), so a complete format is also needed, everything is backed-up.

With these driver's, A computer can boot from it's CD drive? So why do I need the drivers for the CD drive, and once XP is installed then why can't I go onto the internet and start to install the drivers for the Sound cards, Graphics cards etc then?

Patriot, i have no interest in anything on the hard drive at present, (i'll look for the drivers anyway), so a complete format is also needed, everything is backed-up.

Saves a bit of time whilst installing. If you have to look for a driver, install it, reboot, loook for a driver......... and so on it can be a bit monotonous. Yes, XP will have a bucket load of drivers but they won't be the most up to date ones.

Saves a bit of time whilst installing. If you have to look for a driver, install it, reboot, loook for a driver......... and so on it can be a bit monotonous. Yes, XP will have a bucket load of drivers but they won't be the most up to date ones.

ok, i'll start looking for them.

Cheers

OK, no problem.

Put the disc in and boot it up if it will error if it doesn't see the drive properly.

Just a thought, you may need to go into the bios and change the boot sequence.

If it doesn't fail it will say something like search for existing products or mabye just offer the recovery options. You need to watch the screens, keep stepping through until you see a screen about drive or partition options. You need to make sure a complete format is performed on the boot partition.

If it does fail the motherboard cd will contain the drivers.

OK, no problem.

Put the disc in and boot it up if it will error if it doesn't see the drive properly.

Just a thought, you may need to go into the bios and change the boot sequence.

If it doesn't fail it will say something like search for existing products or mabye just offer the recovery options. You need to watch the screens, keep stepping through until you see a screen about drive or partition options. You need to make sure a complete format is performed on the boot partition.

If it does fail the motherboard cd will contain the drivers.

Bios i did last night, it will check the CD drive first.

So i'll just pop the CD it.... Although i'll have to do that when i get home.

I'll do as you state.

Cheers

Put the XP cd in as you turn on the PC, if its a recovery CD it will wipe the HDD when you restore the PC. It should say "press any key to boot from CD". Follow the on screen instruction, untill it says do you want to use the recovery consol to fix windows. Click no. After a bit (a few more screens) it will say do you want to an automated recovery of windows. This will fix windows without wipeing your hard drive.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom