• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

rear wheel squeaking and running hot

sdkirkham

In Second Gear
I noticed a loud squeak from the rear near side wheel on my 2001 series II v8 disco today - when I got home the wheel was very hot to touch, so somethings gone wrong somewhere in there (also noticed fuel consumption even worse than usual).

I'll take a look at the weekend, but has anyone got thoughts on what I may find - I'm expecting some sort of bearing problem, though it could be brakes.

Looking at the parts and workshop manuals I can't see a separate wheel bearing, just a complete hub assembly - can anyone tell me whether bearings replaceable separately, or is it a sealed unit?

Thanks

Sounds like a bearing, or poss sticking piston in brake caliper.
Bearings are not removable on Series 2 discos, will need a complete hub assembly.

I noticed a loud squeak from the rear near side wheel on my 2001 series II v8 disco today - when I got home the wheel was very hot to touch, so somethings gone wrong somewhere in there (also noticed fuel consumption even worse than usual).

I think binding brake is the most likely (and cheaper) cause of this.

Remove the rear wheel,the two bolts holding the caliper to the sliders and remove the caliper.Check that the piston is not siezed.If you have been able to lift the caliper off,the piston is very likely not siezed.

I expect you will then find that the rear brake pads have siezed into their carrier.Tap them out with a light hammer,clean them up with a wire brush,unless of course,they are worn out.
Pay particular attention to the upper and lower edges which rust.Use the hammer to chip off any flaky rust.Lightly grease the upper and lower edges.
Clean out the slots into which they fit and they should refit easily by hand.
Check that the sliders,inside the concertina rubber sleeves,are free and reassemble.
Problem should have gone away.

Worth doing the other three,if this cures the problem.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Nick.

I had exactly the same problem on a td5. It was the brake pads seized in the callipers. Easy job to sort out but the callipers had been so hot the brakes needed bleeding . Hope this helps ,
Regards Sparky

Well it looks like the brake caliper has seized - the old pads had pretty well worn to nothing so the piston was fully extended. Pushing it back in to make room for the new ones was much harder than it should have been - and now after a few miles on new pads it's still running hot again.

I'm now trying to work out what parts I need to buy - it looks like you can buy a caliper assembly (STC1905), caliper piston (STC1908) and a caliper seal kit (STC1909) - do I need all three, or does the caliper assembly part come complete?

Thanks for your help

Simon

Could be the brakes the pads fall out of the capliler and rub on the brake disc

Look for new clean steel on the rim of the disc and the steel of the pads worn away

New capilers are the answer but other methods can be used

Did you work the caliper piston and sliders in and out a few times to free them up before putting the new pads in?
If not then try this and also use something like WD40 to lubricate the piston, make sure any overspray of WD40 is removed from the disc before you re-fit the pads though!! ;)

Did you work the caliper piston and sliders in and out a few times to free them up before putting the new pads in?
If not then try this and also use something like WD40 to lubricate the piston, make sure any overspray of WD40 is removed from the disc before you re-fit the pads though!! ;)

Good advice,this.
In my experience,calipers very rarely need replacement.
It's the difference between a "fitter" and a mechanic.

Regards,
Nick.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly the same problem I had on a TD5. Even after freeing the pads and calipers the brakes were dragging slightly and running warm on the rear axle. Bleeding the rear brakes cured the problem . I put this down to the brake fluid getting extremely hot when the pads/calipers siezed. Hope this helps, regards Sparky

I had similar noises coming from my rear drivers side wheel lately- came on too sudden to be pads wearing i thought, so within a couple of miles i limped home, bought some new pads and waited until i had the time to have a look at it- turned out the inside pad had bent the clip pin holding it in, and dissappeared altogether, leaving the piston rubbing straight on the disc! Looked like i'd not gone far enough to do any damage to either piston or disc thank god.

Well - was suggested, a bit of easing with WD40 did the trick and everything is working well again brakes wise (just wish I could say the same for the rest of the vehicle - I may be starting a couple more threads soon:)) Anyway, thanks for all the help and advice.

Cheers

Simon

Back
Top Bottom