• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Petrol Engines Removing ethanol from petrol

It's good, but...
Is the extra cost of super unleaded which already has no ethanol, needs no conversion time and then needs no additive to re-boost the octane not just a more sensible option?

I think this would be good for making some slightly duff fuel for a mower or strimmer or some such though.

I used to run on SVO and also explored bio-diesel and tried various mixes with unleaded in cold weather. Its easy to get sucked into the interesting bits and not notice you are surrounded by a lot of flammable liquids. I had a wake up moment when I realized I was holding a plastic bucket full of petrol and heading my way was a person with a cigarette. Its now proper marked jerry cans, far end of the garden, CO2 extinguisher to hand.

It's good, but...
Is the extra cost of super unleaded which already has no ethanol, needs no conversion time and then needs no additive to re-boost the octane not just a more sensible option?

I think this would be good for making some slightly duff fuel for a mower or strimmer or some such though.
So just to understand that please as I inch towards having the petrol engine ready to go .

Rather than seek out E5 petrol I can use super unleaded (with a lead replacement additive) and not have to worry about the Ethanol change .

Is that right ?

So just to understand that please as I inch towards having the petrol engine ready to go .

Rather than seek out E5 petrol I can use super unleaded (with a lead replacement additive) and not have to worry about the Ethanol change .

Is that right ?
Yes, unless you have hardened valve seats fitted then you can run unleaded without any worries at all. But also, if you're only doing low mileages then running on unleaded will take a long time to kill the valve seats so you could just save the extra expense of the additive and save up to get your head done in a couple of years ;)

Back
Top Bottom