• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

S111 Overdrive

John Lund

Overdrive!
Hi Guy's.

I've been offered an overdrive to fit my swb S111; £250 is the asking price - seams to be the going rate these days.

My question is this:

Is there any way of checking this unit to confirm its condition? It has been removed from the vehicle.

Also, I'm told that it is just a simple job to bolt onto my gearbox as everything is present. Is this true, is it that simple? Will I need any gaskets etc?

Any info asap would be very much appreciated thanks.:)

John.

First of all, make sure it's complete - they're usually sold without the clutch sleeve (a thick steel sleeve that sits on the gearbox output shaft and meshes with the OD input shaft) and the lever, linkage and bracket.

To check the serviceability, remove the top cover (4x 1/2" bolts) check the colour of the oil and look for internal debris. Check for endfloat on the three shafts (the input shaft runs through the centre of the output shaft, and the layshaft is at the bottom inside). There should be a tiny, almost imperceptible movement - if there is obvious movement then it is very worn. Check for chipped gear teeth, and have a close look at the fine splines on the outside of the clutch sleeve and inside the end of the input shaft for wear - these splines take the full load and do suffer if driven heavily or with poor lubrication.

Check for chipped gear teeth, and have a close look at the fine splines on the outside of the clutch sleeve and inside the end of the input shaft for wear

I can re-iterate that - I bought one from a Landy Spares place, fitted it, only to discover several chipped teeth.......

Back
Top Bottom