• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

salisbury pinnion bearings

sadoldgit

Accelerating Away
i'm in the process of fitting an air locker to a 110 and the pinnion bearings are a bit iffy. now i've done plenty of salisbury axles on fords many moons ago and we had all the kit and allways fitted a gearset anyway (that's main dealers for you) so my question is has anyone done this before succsesfully, that is fitting new bearings to an old gearset and just use the old shims and collapseable spacer.

cheers paul

I used the old spacer when I did a seal and outer bearing....it went bang 350miles later......350miles from home......on a saturday afternoon at 4pm......did i mention I was 350 miles form home?? always use a new spacer:D:D

I used the old spacer when I did a seal and outer bearing....it went bang 350miles later......350miles from home......on a saturday afternoon at 4pm......did i mention I was 350 miles form home?? always use a new spacer:D:D

mmmmmm this sounds like good advice, so what do ya reckon new spacer, old shim check tooth contact and fingers crossed?:eek:

If you use the old shims with the old gears in the old case you should in theory end up with the same clearances you had before the strip - bearings are usually made to fairly tight tolerances, so as long as you don't use cheap rubbish you should be all right.

New shims are cheap enough (or were when I last needed some).

The crush washer is vital for setting the bearing preload - so, as said above, always use a new one. They are cheap too, so buy two incase you muck up the first attempt.

A new pinion oil seal makes sense too as it's pennies and simple with it all apart, and loads of aggro if it leaks after. Make sure the input flange is still serviceable where the seal runs - if it's scored look for a replacement.

All the best, Glen.

yeah Like Glen said the old shims will/should give you the same clearances as before the strip... I dont know about setting up....that's why I only did the outer bearing (the one behind the seal :eek: )

Back
Top Bottom