• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Sanderon leaf springs?

Serious Series

Extreme Landy Fan
Has anyone used Sanderson parabolics on there Series recently.
My Chris perfect rears are finished now after being used and abused since 2007.

It is a mine field out there trying to select another set , no one seems to do poly bush option either.
Edit these are actually made by GB springs and sold by Sanderson!

I've been perfectly happy with the GB springs I fitted, if that's any help.

I did swap the bushes for poly bushes after a couple of years, as I wanted to do the chassis bushes, and thought it a bit silly to have a mix of types. GB did say that they didn't recommend poly bushes, but hey, been in there about 5 years with no issues.

This is all rather timely as I am also looking at GB via Sanderson as the kit is nicely comprehensive with U bolts and dampers etc.

Looks like I need to prise open my wallet. Again.

I can't remember the exact wording about the poly bushes, but I seem to remember words like corrugated road surfaces. I'm sure the reasons for using metalastic bushes were on the GB website, but emailing them will get the info.

I took the view that I wasn't going to be doing hundreds of miles on corrugated road surfaces (just potholes) and wanted to use polybushes on the chassis after various problems with replacement metalastic bushes being different sizes. (Out of a box of ten or so chassis bushes only 3 were a reasonable fit. Some could just be pushed straight through the chassis without even touching the sides)Took the decision to pull the bushes from the springs, despite them being fine, and having the same fittings all round. Been fine so far.

I can't remember the exact wording about the poly bushes, but I seem to remember words like corrugated road surfaces. I'm sure the reasons for using metalastic bushes were on the GB website, but emailing them will get the info.

I took the view that I wasn't going to be doing hundreds of miles on corrugated road surfaces (just potholes) and wanted to use polybushes on the chassis after various problems with replacement metalastic bushes being different sizes. (Out of a box of ten or so chassis bushes only 3 were a reasonable fit. Some could just be pushed straight through the chassis without even touching the sides)Took the decision to pull the bushes from the springs, despite them being fine, and having the same fittings all round. Been fine so far.
The problem with PU bushes is that although great used in compression, e.g. dampers (up/down movement), they are not so great for lateral movement situations (leaf springs, radius arms, etc.) as they flex open around the centre core allowing foreign matter to get in and cause wear. So not great for off-road use and particularly bad in prolonged punishment on corrugated surfaces, etc. Trendy though and much easier to install.

I have a set of chassis bushes that I pulled out of my replacement Marsland chassis so may just fit them for now , have a box full of Poly bushes from actual poly bush as well though.
For speed may just fit the 4 metalastic to the chassis for now and see how they go.

For balance I purchase a set direct from GB Springs. Once fitted I had a horrible clonking noise from the front end when going around corners. Turns out one of the eyes on the front spring was so badly formed the only thing keeping the bush in place was the paint. GB Springs replaced the unit, but after 9 years use they have sagged noticeably and probably need replacing.

Having said that I'm not sure if there are many other alternatives that I would consider so maybe the best of a mediocre lot.

Back
Top Bottom