• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Scratched swivel pins....

stevo

Trekker
Grr to checking to oil levels in the swivel pin housings :(

I used the level plug to fill, took ages.... looks like it was kinda empty in there - it may explain the notchy steering!

The drivers side one has a lovely scratch on it - looks like something has hit it at some point.

Off to Paddocks for a kit to repair then... grrr again :(

Re: Scratched swivel balls....

I'm assuming false economy not to replace the swivel ball at the same time as the seals and bushes?

How likely is it that I will have to replace the ball soon if I don't do it now and just do the rest?

How long is a piece of stick? :)

Definately replace the swivel ball, the whole kit inc ball costs about £65 or so, and use one shot grease instead of the EP90. The new swivel balls usually come with a Black Teflon coating.

While you have it all apart I would change the inner and outer hub oil seals.

Bernie

looks like grease in there now - and not a lot of it!

the scratch on the ball is letting grease out, and dirt in through the seal :(

:eek: Sounds more like a gouge than a scratch!
How'd you pick that up?
Would definitely do the lot while you've got it apart!
Once replaced and the one shot grease in, you should be able to put it to the back of your mind for a while!
And tread carefully!

Regards Dave.

Just as a kind of off topic question but not, mine are going rusty a tiny bit. Will they fail the MOT for that? Its not until september, so plenty of time but just wondering.

Cheers, Ben

Replace both of mine on my 89 90 with teflon ones from paddocks, get a kit, raiko bush, bearing and seals etc. Not worth cutting corners and take note which way the raiko insert fits in to the top of the chalice, its an off-centre insert, wrong way round and the seal with retaining plate wont fit on(dont ask me how I know this:eek: ). Not a bad a job as it may seem, my worst part was getting the raiko pin out of one side.
Good luck
Mike

Havent a clue what the MOT testers look for over there Ben, but I am a firm believer in sending it in and see what they come back with. Over here we have a DOE or a NCT and the NCT(MOT) only came in afew years ago, everyone paniced, garages put up signs "pre nct test" done here for only 100qiud. Everyone jumped at it and still are, massive bills for parts replaced etc. Far cheaper to just send it in and see what they fail on(unless its something obvious).and fix just that.
Now all of the above works over here so I could be talking complete and utter rubbish, so forgive me.
Cheers
Mike

On a vehicle with CV joints, a split gaiter that leaks is a Fail.

If it's got Spheres, I wipe any oil off and Advise of a minor leak. Some Testers do Fail them, but for the amount I see, it isn't worth making a fuss, unless the oil is being thrown onto the brakes.

Chris

On a vehicle with CV joints, a split gaiter that leaks is a Fail.

If it's got Spheres, I wipe any oil off and Advise of a minor leak. Some Testers do Fail them, but for the amount I see, it isn't worth making a fuss, unless the oil is being thrown onto the brakes.

Chris

That must mean a serious leak?? Mine is more of a seep.....

Yes, if it's serious it Fails, but if it isn't leaking at the Time of Test.......:rolleyes:

You could always do the Annual oil change, but forget to fill them until after the Test.

Chris

Yes, if it's serious it Fails, but if it isn't leaking at the Time of Test.......:rolleyes:

You could always do the Annual oil change, but forget to fill them until after the Test.

Chris

A good 8 months to MOT :)

put EP90 in last night, but no drippy leaks as yet. Mind you the scratch is on the top half...

It will have all leaked out by then, wipe the sphere and take the test, then fill it again.

Like I said, I don't fail them, but some do, depends how they Interpret the Regs.

Chris

It will have all leaked out by then, wipe the sphere and take the test, then fill it again.

Like I said, I don't fail them, but some do, depends how they Interpret the Regs.

Chris

I'm happy to keep filling as I can't afford the kit yet....

thanks for the advice as usual chris :)

Back
Top Bottom