• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Second battery position on TD5 Disco II

medusan

In Third Gear
Does anybody know where i can usefully fit a second battery on a 2000 TD5 Disco II GS. I previously had a Disco 1 200 TDI and it fitted nicely behind the 2nd headlight - paralleling the original - after i removed the old jack and crap that was there. However on the TD5 there is no room behind the other headlight.

Cheers, medusan

So I guess that is removing the jack etc plus the existing tray and fitting a new tray ? - does this mean i have to have specific battery sizes ? I was thinking of putting a pair of optima batteries in some time in the future - in the mean time would this work with normal batteries ?

Cheers, Medusan

was contemplating doing the same on my 300, but the air filter intake fouls the space. Would a 200 filter cure the problem? Anybody got any ideas?

Help appreciated.
Cheers

I don't like the Devon4x4 option.

Those batteries are over priced and not as great as everyone makes them out to be. I'd rather fit a big battery someplace in the back.

I've been thinking of removing the nearside cubby box in the back and working a plan to fit a second battery there. A mate of mine removed both his and replaced them with subwoofer boxes.

Buv,

Done exactly that with no problems here are a couple of photos.

Attachments

• Split charge.JPG
    Split charge.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Fuse box.JPG
    Fuse box.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 74
We have fitted a second battery in that rear compartment leaving the plastic box intact and fitting a hold down strap and a piece of heavy rubber over the battery and still pack other goods etc in the compartment.

Also out of interest in our 2000 Model TD5 Disco there was a steel cradle about midway along the chassis (I think its a unused area for the ACE suspension on different models ??) on the left that perfectly fit a Din66 Large Squatt type battery in there only having to make up couple of hold down bolts. It a bit hard to get in and out but if you use a mainance free battery you really dont need to get at it all that often.

I have also seen a battery tray here in Aus that fits up the back left side under the bonnet (near small fuel Gizmo) Made by Pirana (I Think)
We also put the Isolator in the same position as previous pics.

Cheers From Aus, Jeremy

was contemplating doing the same on my 300, but the air filter intake fouls the space. Would a 200 filter cure the problem? Anybody got any ideas?

Help appreciated.
Cheers

I have removed the Spout off this Air Box on my early Disco, takes a bit of a Pull But it comes out nicly and has no efect on where or how well the air is sucked from that area. Then remove jack and fit your battery. Cheers Jeremy

Also out of interest in our 2000 Model TD5 Disco there was a steel cradle about midway along the chassis (I think its a unused area for the ACE suspension on different models ??) on the left that perfectly fit a Din66 Large Squatt type battery in there only having to make up couple of hold down bolts. It a bit hard to get in and out but if you use a mainance free battery you really dont need to get at it all that often.

G-day mate!

I spent most of the morning moving with eyes wide open, scanning the horizon for a 2000 TD5 (like mine) and it wasn't too long before I saw one and had a look under it. The driver wasn't too impressed with me though :rolleyes:

That mounting bracket is abso bloody lutely perfect mate!

It'll take small batteries without problems.

When I get back to SA, I'll get my truck up on the hoist and then cut through that bracket and weld in an extension to make it a bit deeper. I'll also make a metal strap to keep the battery in place. There are even two holes already in place that I can pop the rivnuts in to hold the strap (and battery).

My thoughts are to make the depth of the box parallel with the bolt on crossmember that sits under the gearbox. This extra height will allow me to fit a decent size battery.

There's even enough space on the chassis to mount a waterproof box for fuses and the relays for the split charge and back light.

Thanks again Jeremy!

I emailed Devon 4x4 and despite the photo in the gallery, their carrier is for the 90 or 110 in the seat box. I too have the spare carrier under the floor. When you say a small battery - can you point to one on the web that i could look at ?

Cheers, Medusan

My first thought were exactly the same with almost no modification at all it was allmost perfect. We found that a Din66 fitted really well (which has recessed terminals and commonly found in most Merc benz's !)

Happy to Help. Cheers

G-day mate!

I spent most of the morning moving with eyes wide open, scanning the horizon for a 2000 TD5 (like mine) and it wasn't too long before I saw one and had a look under it. The driver wasn't too impressed with me though :rolleyes:

That mounting bracket is abso bloody lutely perfect mate!

It'll take small batteries without problems.

When I get back to SA, I'll get my truck up on the hoist and then cut through that bracket and weld in an extension to make it a bit deeper. I'll also make a metal strap to keep the battery in place. There are even two holes already in place that I can pop the rivnuts in to hold the strap (and battery).

My thoughts are to make the depth of the box parallel with the bolt on crossmember that sits under the gearbox. This extra height will allow me to fit a decent size battery.

There's even enough space on the chassis to mount a waterproof box for fuses and the relays for the split charge and back light.

Thanks again Jeremy!

I hoisted the truck up this morning to remove the ace / compressor box and discovered it's made of plastic :eek:

As Land Rover owners we are used to these little setbacks, so I've removed it and will get some offcut sheet steel and make a new battery box to fit the space.

Draft - more work!

Photos will folllow - one day...

Back
Top Bottom