• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Selectro Free Wheel Hubs don't work...

LittleFrog

In Third Gear
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me... I have a Series 3 SWB Land Rover fitted with Selectro Free Wheel Hubs. Recently I've been trying to engage them (they have been left in "Free" for about 10 years by previous owner). Although both hubs will select Free or Locked with ease, neither will actually engage. In other words, they're both Free what ever the setting.

I wondered if anyone had advice on how to bring them back from the dead?

Thanks for your attention.

Dave

My Landrover came with Selectro hubs. If you remove the outer cover (6 small allen bolts) you will see a spring with arms and that presses on a sliding splined collar when you twist the mech. On mine the collar had rusted stuck so when mech was twisted the spring arms simply compressed and did not move the collar. Unfortunately this broke one of the arms and made the hub useless.
This had only happened on only one hub so I had been running with one hub engaged and one not which is not good for the diff.
Since you cannot tell if the hub is actually engaged or not I removed both.

Excellent PDF from Big Sandy.

I would suggest you strip them off, and take everything apart to clean them and assess any damage or corrosion.
Re-assemble with CV grease - especially on the long allen bolts (not in the holes - just the threads and head.

If they look too far gone, get standard drive hubs, and fit them.
Don't be too surprised if your front diff complains a bit and spits out some oil if it hasn't turned in 10 years. Check oil level and seals.

Many members on here have gone back to them because of problems like this.

Can...not...resist....."TOLD YOU SO!";):D:D

I'm probably the most notorious naysayer of free wheeling hubs. I find they do absolutely nothing of benefit but cause a lot of trouble, and I always maintain that the only place for FWH is the bin. Fit the standard flanges; you'll have no leaks, no protruding hub to get damaged off road and now worries about trying to select 4wd.

Good morning!

Wooow, -14.5 on the lane this morning, Land Rover started fine though, it's the first time I've used the "Cold Start" setting in anger and it worked...

Anyway thanks to everyone that provided comments, I realised how the units worked with the help of those instructions so thanks Big Sandy. All very interesting and I have to say that I just can't see the point of them, just something else to go wrong.

I have a further question if that's OK...

It turned out that the Off Side unit worked fine. We popped the top of the unit off and it was still full of grease. Engaging just fine when re-assembed...

Near side unit a different story. The Allen screws came out fine. Top came off just fine. However inside it's bone dry and the thing-a-me-jig that engages with the Spline Drive Shaft was jammed solid in the hub body (in the dis-engaged position). Now then, looking at Sandy's instructions, I thought that if I removed the Hex-Head Bolts which secure the hub body to the wheel, that the whole unit would simply fall off. This does not happen. It can just about be rotated and a gap of about 1/32" can be opened up. There's no way of removing the Hub Body though.

What I'd really like to do is remove these units totally. If they do anything useful, it's too clever for the likes of me. But of course right now, I can't get it off. Hopefully I'll be able to buy the original Hub Driving Member from someone on tinternet.

If anyone had any ideas, I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks again for your attention.

Dave

As Nevis says, you need to remove the castellated nut, and split pin. Its awkward, but do-able... fiddly...

Then the whole hub body will come off.

You need a parts book...that will make finding all the right bits a lot easier. You can find them as free downloads if you search through google (no links here, as we dont want to be accused of infringing copyright), and the heritage centre have manuals and parts books on CD, which are handy.

Hi there,

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted on this thread. I got the seized unit off, cleaned it up and to be honest I've refitted it and will leave it there. I just need to engage it every month I think and it'll be fine. So thanks again for all the input.

In the process of removing the unit, I wrecked the gaskets. I going see it T'internet comes up with anything, but right now all is well. Thanks.

Dave

Hi there,

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted on this thread. I got the seized unit off, cleaned it up and to be honest I've refitted it and will leave it there. I just need to engage it every month I think and it'll be fine. So thanks again for all the input.

In the process of removing the unit, I wrecked the gaskets. I going see it T'internet comes up with anything, but right now all is well. Thanks.

Dave

Glad you've sorted it.

Off the top of my head I doubt you'll get gaskets (Id love to be proven wrong!) but if you cant, you can always make some up, im sure ive heard about people doing this on here before using punches and a special hammer or something?

William

will do. never joined a forum before, so need to suss how to load pics etc and start a new thread e.g. "where's the best place to get replacement rear side doors, they appear to be one piece and the tops have gone"

Just in case someone has the older style Selectros,
100_2572.jpg

here's the instructions for that one;
View attachment Selectro FWH_1985.pdf

Back
Top Bottom