• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series 2A - stuck in 4 wheel drive - unable to select gear !

That’s the damaged bits !!

550f9cd0-0681-4357-8667-b64a074aa927.jpeg

Well it makes sense. It was rebuilt and the person built it up too tight. At least with an reasonable explanation you have some confidence it wont do it again.

The point of running is is to wear parts that don't quite fit into parts that do fit and deposit the left overs in the oil. Important with bores, pistons, rings and plain bushes. Gear box is mostly rolling bearings, a bush or two and the synchros, the gear teeth may smooth out a bit. You want plenty of movement - ie medium speeds not slow, but light load so nothing gets too hot and expands and gets tight. So what did I do after my engine rebuild? Accelerated up a motorway slip road and felt the engine start to tighten. Physician take thy own medicine o_O

That’s the damaged bits !!

View attachment 536651
Without wanting to offend, I can't see any drastic damage to any of those parts. It's worth having a new intermediate shaft and all new bearings which do wear.
Renewing all bearings I fully understand. Some of those parts are from the main gear box. The gears look quite serviceable and Series Transfer box, LT76 are very sturdy boxes and take a lot of abuse.
So What actually caused the problem, do you know?
Having Transmission wind up can cause jamming problems and also place a lot of stress on the drive train.. Do you have Free wheeling hubs? Remember to only use 4x4 on Loose or muddy surfaces.

Without wanting to offend, I can't see any drastic damage to any of those parts. It's worth having a new intermediate shaft and all new bearings which do wear.
Renewing all bearings I fully understand. Some of those parts are from the main gear box. The gears look quite serviceable and Series Transfer box, LT76 are very sturdy boxes and take a lot of abuse.
So What actually caused the problem, do you know?
Having Transmission wind up can cause jamming problems and also place a lot of stress on the drive train.. Do you have Free wheeling hubs? Remember to only use 4x4 on Loose or muddy surfaces.
Got to admit, my thoughts too, not seeing much in the way of missing teeth etc.. It looks like one of the needle bearings had collapsed. Probably got jammed in the teeth.

Still, done now.

To change the bearings is only right, but why not the brass bushing inbetween 3 and 4? I bet it was broken!
You can see some gring marks at the inner of the gear here:
Screenshot 2024-06-12 155609.jpg

But i really don't understand why this shaft has been changed... no signs of wear at all. And if it had wear, you change it with its corresponding gear.
Screenshot 2024-06-12 155617.jpg

I dont want to play the gearbox expert here but i have my thaugts..

Can we see some more detailed images maybe?

To change the bearings is only right, but why not the brass bushing inbetween 3 and 4? I bet it was broken!
You can see some gring marks at the inner of the gear here:
View attachment 536791
But i really don't understand why this shaft has been changed... no signs of wear at all. And if it had wear, you change it with its corresponding gear.
View attachment 536792

I dont want to play the gearbox expert here but i have my thaugts..

Can we see some more detailed images maybe?
I tend to agree. I'd have changed out the synchro hub too. Also, the tapered roller bearings look rather worn for a supposedly previously rebuilt box. Oh well, at least it's done now! 🙂

I suppose you have to look at it this way:
if those parts that are barely damaged were the bad bits, the rest of the gearbox must be fresher than a goldseal factory rebuild, with teeth that shine and every bearing in mint condition.
It must be a sight to behold!

Back
Top Bottom