• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series 3 Lead Replacement Petrol (LRP)

chris_debian

Trekker
Hi, all.

Just reading about LRP. I am currently using unleaded and Redex. I know you can get cylinder head conversions, but I don't have £450 to spare at the mo.

Can I/ should I use LRP. BTW, the Series 3 has a 2.25 petrol engine and is a 1972 model.

Cheers,

Chris.

I got rid of my S3 last year, but before I did, LRP was becoming a rare commodity. For a year before, I used U/L with a lead replacement. It seemed to work OK. In fact the guy who bought is still doing the same with no ill effects.

Nige

I've heard that the valve guides have a 'memory' and can run on UL for many 1000 miles without any problem.

My main problem was octane. The engine knocked quite a bit woth UL. I use castrol valvemaster with octane boost in each tankful with no problem. Costs a bit but hey, she's worth it.

You don't need anywhere near £450 to get your head converted to run on unleaded!

Did mine a few years back was 75 quid it won't of gone up that much!

Yeah im doing the same.. Now and then I will pur some afetive into a tank of unleaded... but if the engine goes pop, then its a good excuse to fit that GMC Diesel I fancy :D

I ran my 2.25~for one year and 10,000 miles before the valves and head eroded to the point where the engine was unusable.

You should be able to source a complete head with hardened valve seats much cheaper than that price. One place here is selling them for $500 US and that is after importing etc...

Back
Top Bottom