• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

series 3 snorkel

bigcatkeeper

In Third Gear
hi im a complete newb to tinkering with my s3 (or any car), im looking into getting a snorkel fitted to my s3 when searching there doesnt seem to be many for s3 neerly all 90/110 etc,
would these fit my s3?
also there seems to be two groups of prices one around £70/£80 then the other £150+ is there a mechanical reason or just branding an more durablie materials?

any help much appreciated :)

bigcatkeeper

Mantec DEX 04 and Southdown, are the only comercially made S3 snorkels I am aware of, Mantec around £90.00 and Southdown £130.00, both prices are ludicrous for a piece of bent metal pipe and 2 brackets,a hose and three jubilee clips. the mushroom top is the bit that does the 'work' of keeping unwanted particulants (sand, dust, water etc) from reaching the air filter. There are no mechanical parts to speak of.

If you find another let me know I have been searching for years for a sensibly priced one.

Previously, I bought a mushroom top off ebay and did the rest with black drainpipe!
Snorkel1.jpg

wow thanks for a very quick reply
i shall look into the ones youv surgested, so far the uneversal one by far the cheepest,
i dint relize how simple they are on the construction it may purswade me to diy and by a top

much appreicated

DSCF1075.jpgI've got one I don't want. You can have it for cheap if you like. It's outside and raining cats and dogs here, so can't dig it out just now, but here's a pic of it before I dismantled the landy for restoration! David

phoenixdave ye ill be intrested, how much would it be and how would i go about paying, and sorting posting out etc?

You can have it for £20 +postage. I'll find out how much to post tomorrow. A cheque would be fine. PM to exchange addresses, but you'll need to get your post count above 10 to make PMs work.

David

DSCF1727.jpgDSCF1723.jpgDSCF1726.jpg
phoenixdave,

kool thats great, sorry to be a complete newb wats PM?

fraser

Fraser,

here's some more pics. PMs- like Oscar said. As you can see, the air filter has no bottom in it, though it would be very easy to stick a patch over it. Not sure what it's off, but it's dated 10/93, so probably Disco/defender? I'll leave the crusty old paper element in it, so you have it as a pattern. The filter did sort of fit where the oil bath filter normally goes on your S3, but it was not secured in any way, other than the pipes, and the flexy hose to the engine didn't quite fit on the filter stub. I think the stub was a couple of mm too big.

Postage will be £14.27- :eek:

David

http://www.rebel4x4.co.uk/raised_air.htm

I've got the universal one, halfway down the page. Still £80 - got my s/h from the For Sale ads here for £50.

How dow it work with the S3 oil bath filter?

Great if it does, I have been looking for one for years.

Alterntive would be a series 1 air filter as it has a spigot where the air is drawn in and you can connect a hose to it.

The SIII parts book says there is an air filter with a spigot where a hose for a snorkel could be fixed. the whole unit has a part number of 568805. Its not as tall as a normal oil bath filter so you would need a (1" ish) block of wood under it....believe it or not the block of wood has a part neumner too...564893

That said, I cant find anyone who sells them :(

How dow it work with the S3 oil bath filter?

Great if it does, I have been looking for one for years.

Alterntive would be a series 1 air filter as it has a spigot where the air is drawn in and you can connect a hose to it.

The SIII parts book says there is an air filter with a spigot where a hose for a snorkel could be fixed. the whole unit has a part number of 568805. Its not as tall as a normal oil bath filter so you would need a (1" ish) block of wood under it....believe it or not the block of wood has a part neumner too...564893

That said, I cant find anyone who sells them :(

it cant be used with a standard series oil bath filter...
unless you modify it of course...

for factory snorkels, there was a oil bath filter with a pipe stub.

but good luck finding one.....

personally, I'd consider fitting a later paper element filter (like the 200Tdi disco airbox).
they have the stub required for a snorkel (as standard it pushes into a rubber bung in the wing)
they can be picked up cheaply, and they dont look out of the way.....

Back
Top Bottom