• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Sherpa Van Engine

Le Racou

In Second Gear
Hi All

I bought a series 3 109 pick up about 6 months ago to play with.

It has a 2.5 diesel engine in it which I think comes from a sherpa van.

I have managed to get loads of info on landy's - pdf workshop manuals, parts catalogues, etc but cannot find any info on Sherpa van engines.

If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

PS this was my first ever post on any forum type thingy...

Hi
If it is the Sherpa variant of the landy unit the engine number will begin with the prefix 14J or 15J. Basically you can use a 90/110 manual for the engine as the differences are mainly manifolds, timing case, inj pump fuel setting, injector pipes, timing belt, extra idler wheel on timing belt, injector pump timing mark on pulley, water pump & pulley.
If it is not 14J(see attached pics) or 15J then its either a perkins prima(small sherpa) or a Peugrot 2.5.:)

Attachments

• Engine-1.jpg
    Engine-1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,538
  • Engine-2.jpg
    Engine-2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,516
  • Engine-3.jpg
    Engine-3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 547
  • Engine-4.jpg
    Engine-4.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,144
As CCK says, it's probably as his pictures.

If it is a Peugeot, it will be EN55 for NA and ET70 up to 1995 and EN70 from 1995, both Turbo.

Later LDV vehicles had the 2.5 Transit engine.

Chris

Hi
If it is the Sherpa variant of the landy unit the engine number will begin with the prefix 14J or 15J. Basically you can use a 90/110 manual for the engine as the differences are mainly manifolds, timing case, inj pump fuel setting, injector pipes, timing belt, extra idler wheel on timing belt, injector pump timing mark on pulley, water pump & pulley.
If it is not 14J(see attached pics) or 15J then its either a perkins prima(small sherpa) or a Peugrot 2.5.:)

I came across your nice engine. I have a land rover fitted with a 1985 15J engine and I need a set of injector pipes or specifically no 2 (from the front). Do you have any idea who might supply these? - thanks

search the threads on here - there is loads of information on this engine. In terms on technical info - what do you need? Its basically a land rover 2.5 block with some adaptions.

Thanks - this looks like the best bet (in the mean time I have had a go at welding a section of another pipe, so far with little success but I shall persevere - vehicle is parked 5 miles down our glen so pressure testing is a time consuming business)

have the same engine and when my pipes where failing I bought 2.5 defender set of pipes they are longer and I could not fit them all but i bent 1st and 2nd cylinder ones and made them fit never managed to alter other two.
But a deisel garage should be able to adapt a set it would need end remaking on injector connection. Ie swage tool required.

Managed to order the correct pipe from an LDV dealer (Solway Leyland Daf); meanwhile the heavily welded pipe merely drips slightly and works wuite satisfactorily. Thanks for responses.

have the same engine and when my pipes where failing I bought 2.5 defender set of pipes they are longer and I could not fit them all but i bent 1st and 2nd cylinder ones and made them fit never managed to alter other two.
But a deisel garage should be able to adapt a set it would need end remaking on injector connection. Ie swage tool required.

Back
Top Bottom