• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

smalest air port

hodghog

Accelerating Away
whats the smallest airport you've ben to in the uk

the one were the guy down the farm uses his old v8 hicap to tow the airport fire trailor?

not so much the smallest air port in England, but was out in russia, and my flight was the only way out of the airport (or in for the week) and get this, i had Buiness class..... so one flight, and there was a business class section!!! odd i thouigh.

What about the guy who used to land a plane on top of a Shogun.
They were even looking for a driver for the motor
geoff:)

whats the smallest airport you've ben to in the uk

the one were the guy down the farm uses his old v8 hicap to tow the airport fire trailor?
I used to teach at Elstree Aerodrome, near Borehanwood, Herts. The runway was 600m long on a steep slope, with trees at the low end and power lines at the high end. The airfield crash wagon was a Stage 1 V8 hard top with a foam media tank inside. It rarely started.:( A private jet (Cessna Citation) operated from the field, as did a Grumman Goose (amphibious twin), the Capital Radio Flying Eye, Big Breakfast helicopter, a DC3, Tom Cruise's Beech Baron and several flying schools. A Hawker Hunter (G-FLAK) was rebuilt in one of the hangars and flown out on a thimble of fuel many years ago by Spencer Flak. www.egtr.net

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to teach at Elstree Aerodrome, near Borehanwood, Herts. The runway was 600m long on a steep slope, with trees at the low end and power lines at the high end. The airfield crash wagon was a Stage 1 V8 hard top with a foam media tank inside. It rarely started.:( A private jet (Cessna Citation) operated from the field, as did a Grumman Goose (amphibious twin), the Capital Radio Flying Eye, Big Breakfast helicopter, a DC3, Tom Cruise's Beech Baron and several flying schools. A Hawker Hunter (G-FLAK) was rebuilt in one of the hangars and flown out on a thimble of fuel many years ago by Spencer Flak. www.egtr.net
Aah memories ... used to sit in the traffic on the m25 and watch the Flying Eye taking off or landing, depending on the time of day ... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I regularly fly into tiny landing strips in places like Mozambique, Angola, and Congo etc. I guess they're not strictly speaking "airports", but they're sometimes the only way in or out of the area.

In Zambia we landed a Cesssna 4 seater on a grass strip, but first had to buzz the strip a few times to chase the warthogs away. There was a grass hut on the edge of the strip with a "security guard" who charged us US$ 15 for landing fees, and a further $10 for security. :D

The worst are the landing strips in Lesotho because they're at altitudes above 3000m, they're all short because there's no flat spaces in the country, and there are mountains all around you. :rolleyes:

As it happens, I'm flying to Mozambique on Tuesday to an 800m strip near Moma. I don't know what we're flying yet, but it's probably a Metro or SAAB.

Then the following week I'm flying up to Kolwezi in the Congo for two days. They have a short dirt strip at the mine.

Marc

The smallest I've been into was a jungle LZ in Belize - the clearing was only just a few feet larger than the rotor diameter of the Puma we were in, and the trees there are about 120' tall!:eek:

There's at least one strip next to the M3 where the farmer and his mate keep a 152 and Piper Cub I think, thats pretty small. Just up the road on the A303 near the M3 Junction, there's a club strip that goes downhill - level - uphill, whichever way the wind is blowing. Thee's loads of aircraft parked there nowadays. Popham or Micheldever is it?

Roger.

There's at least one strip next to the M3 where the farmer and his mate keep a 152 and Piper Cub I think, thats pretty small. Just up the road on the A303 near the M3 Junction, there's a club strip that goes downhill - level - uphill, whichever way the wind is blowing. Thee's loads of aircraft parked there nowadays. Popham or Micheldever is it?

Roger.
Popham, I think. The one on the north side, with an open sided hangar for about 3 or 4 in the northwest corner, with trees at each end?

Popham, I think. The one on the north side, with an open sided hangar for about 3 or 4 in the northwest corner, with trees at each end?

That's the one Nick, but there's dozens of light aeroplanes (and an R22 I think) in the open, with covers over their cockpits/engine cowlings. Its probably more popular (and cheaper) than Blackbushe (is that still open?) and, because its next to the A303 and so close to the M3, there isn't a local noise lobby - they can't hear it!

Roger.

That's the one Nick, but there's dozens of light aeroplanes (and an R22 I think) in the open, with covers over their cockpits/engine cowlings. Its probably more popular (and cheaper) than Blackbushe (is that still open?) and, because its next to the A303 and so close to the M3, there isn't a local noise lobby - they can't hear it!

Roger.
Yep, Blackbushe (formerly RAF Hartford Bridge, a WWII B25 base) is still operating, much to the chagrin of Hartley Wintney and Yateley.

Does HMS Ark Royal count in this conversation?
Remember some of the HLS in Northen Ireland were tiny. I seem to recall Cross Maglen was pretty tight and meant coming in right over a school playground. Even at five years old some of the locals made their animosity towards HMF clear. :rolleyes:

Does HMS Ark Royal count in this conversation?
Remember some of the HLS in Northen Ireland were tiny. I seem to recall Cross Maglen was pretty tight and meant coming in right over a school playground. Even at five years old some of the locals made their animosity towards HMF clear. :rolleyes:

Yes, but doesn't she go in the 'Airport with no fixed abode' category?

Having said that, AJC will claim the helo deck on HMS Panjandrum.:rolleyes:

Roger.

Yep, Barra Airport gets my vote as it's just a beach and is the only beach in the world to have scheduled airline services. :D

http://www.hial.co.uk/barra-airport.html

There are a few others up here that may count.
Plockton, Broadford, Glen Brittle, Daliburgh (South Uist), Sollas (North Uist) and Berneray. ;)

you didnt mention the other isles like the northern ones

westray sanday and so on which are un maned but have the twice dayly services and the local farmer turns up with what ever to tow the fire trailor

you didnt mention the other isles like the northern ones

westray sanday and so on which are un maned but have the twice dayly services and the local farmer turns up with what ever to tow the fire trailor

I also forgot the Small Isles of Eigg, Rhum, Canna & Muck where not even the farmer turns up!! :D

Back
Top Bottom