• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

General Spark plug thoughts

Having problems with my lawn mower. It’s a Mountfield, I’ve had it over 5years and on the whole it’s been pretty reliable although the powered drive no longer works.

The last couple of uses have been problematic and I’ve had to clean the spark plug to get it to go. Yesterday it really didn’t want to start, cleaned the plug, ran for a minute then cut out. Repeated a few times, played with the spark gap. Problem persists. Now can’t start it. This is a fresh can of e10 unleaded. I’m wondering if this may be the problem as it was fine on e5 but it’s been running ok on e10 for over a year.

Spark plug below. Thoughts appreciated!
IMG_3853.jpeg
IMG_3851.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3851.jpeg
    IMG_3851.jpeg
    418.6 KB · Views: 11
Ta!

I’ve just popped out and got a B&S spark plug - started second time and has run fine for the short test I did. Also noticed the belt drive had come off so now it self propells again.

I think you are right about the carb - I will give it a strip down and clean up.

I made the mistake of looking at the shopping aisle (lol) those Hondas look like a good buy!

those Hondas look like a good buy!
Aye. Goodbye to your money. 🤣

Mine is an old wheeled Flymo, with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Had it 17 years, I hit a lump of steel with it a few years back, so the plastic deck is repaired with steel sections rivetted on. Stupidly the price for a new deck, minus the engine and wheels is actually dearer than buying a new mower!

I have this morning just overhauled the mower and the strimmer, and got them ready for the first cut. Might do it tomorrow. Might not....see if I can be bothered. Takes me about 4 hours. I could maybe do with stripping the engine down and decoking it...ach, when it stops working is soon enough.

Just finished a full cut. Lawn is not the correct term it’s definitely ‘just grass’ (and moss and weeds). It’s in shocking condition this year - I’m assuming this is due to the very very wet weather we’ve had for the last 6months!

I put seed down about 3weeks ago - only about 10% has done anything!

I don’t need a new mower - I need a miracle 😁

Just finished a full cut. Lawn is not the correct term it’s definitely ‘just grass’ (and moss and weeds). It’s in shocking condition this year - I’m assuming this is due to the very very wet weather we’ve had for the last 6months!

I put seed down about 3weeks ago - only about 10% has done anything!

I don’t need a new mower - I need a miracle 😁
Would that be miracle grow... by any chance ....you need ...:)

I care for 5 Briggs & Stratton engines of varying ages - 1984 to 2004 and have had about 5 others over the years. A long time ago a dealer, who has let me buy some very decent second hand machines at very good prices over the 40 years I have had machines, told me that most issues he has on machines brought in for repair/ service are down to spark plugs and oil level (too much is as bad as too little). I put new B&S plugs in every other year and use B&S oil .

He explained it by saying these engines are clearly old technology and you run the mowers at about 3000rpm and if you add up the hours run and liken it to old style 1960/70s car engines and work out the mileage you would have done with that engine speed & hours then you would change the oil and plugs as part of an annual or bi-annual service. So far he has proved right as far as I am concerned.

The other thing that has caught me out once before is the carb float needle not closing the fuel off and the petrol flowing into the engine and filling the sump on a machine kept in a shed that gets very hot in the summer - all the machines that did not have them are now fitted with petrol taps.

I check my mowers twice every year, before laying them up, and before using them again. Oil change in springtime, run it dry if fuel in the autumn. I do have a large area to cut, but only do it three or maybe four times a year, as we have a very short growing season. If I cut it every month between now and September that's as much as it gets.

I let it grow long before cutting, as it slows the moss down.

No, not the sheep ! C**p everywhere. an ongoing problem at the sailing club where our boat/camping field is next to the sheep grazing on the marshes. One wiley old ewe learnt to standing jump over the 1 metre fence into our field some years ago and has taught her offspring and their offspring to do the same. The shepherd has been promising to move the entire 'family' to another farm for several years. Really nasty for our members taking out and returning boats to the field and camping. The 5-7 sheep can cover the 2 acres in sh*t in a couple of days. Touch wood for the last month or so it has been clear so we are hoping they have been moved as the grandma ewe can just about flatten a fence just by running at it now. Oh, how to give me nightmares, not counting sheep but seeing her looming over the sea wall into our field ..................

I just noticed I got tagged here.
With mine it just needed a carb clean. Also had to fix the belt drive last year for the same reason. Seems the grass can collect and push the belt off the pulley. Worth cleaning around the pulleys when you're done mowing.

I have a second old mower that used to be my dad's but it's just sitting in the shed. It's a Harry machine with a Briggs and Stratton engine it doesn't run right but I suspect it's the spark plug lead at fault. It runs fine if you tighten it up with pliers but eventually the vibration of the engine causes it to shake loose and stall. Not sure how you replace the lead caps.

Champion ones always used to screw on. I had a bad running problem with a bike when it was really cold...we took it to a cold storage unit to test it, and one plug cap was throwing up a hellish resistance when it was cold. Screwed a new cap on, sorted.

Back
Top Bottom