• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Spoilt!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2171
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2171

I've been spoilt. :eek:

Going out in the Land Rover this evening, and I was terrified by it's crap handling and brakes compared to my instructor's car. I also disliked how it was so cold for such a long time before it began warming up, and how it jolted over certain bumps and potholes (unladen, but still decent for a leafer).

I was missing the accurate steering, nice warm heater, the 'pokiness' of the instructor's car among many other things. (Yes I finally adapted to it, and now I see why I struggled initially!)

I actually disliked driving the 2A for the first half hour going into town (to examine what my single Major fail on the test was). I wanted better handling characteristics, warmth, better engine performance etc.

I really have been spoilt by my instructor's car haven't I? :eek:

So who else here has had this happen as well? :D

You had your test!... I didn't know that. What did you fail on or is it still too painful to talk about?

Wrong lane on a so-called roundabout that isn't really a roundabout to such an extent that the Police don't call it one either apparently.

It's a very poorly laid out 'roundabout'. As you approach on the inside lane, the layout appears to take you into the middle lane. But you have to do a sharp sudden left to get onto the left lane on the roundabout (where I was supposed to be to take the second exit). There's also a cycle lane that you're to keep off that runs on the outside of the roundabout, but you end up going over that to go sharp left. It's really silly, and it caught me out. I took the normal method onto a roundabout and ended up in the middle lane, and failed. :(

Otherwise it went okay. Only the odd minor, although I got two on gear selection. I don't think the examiner realised that the car needs to be around 2,000rpm or higher to be able to pull up climbs (engine is a 900cc 3-cylinder 12valve).

At least I know next time about that roundabout in that's it's a tricky one, and if you've never been on it before then you will get caught out (just as my father has done and even sometimes my instructor).

Can anyone tell me how an examiner is allowed to act? I have doubts about my examiner, as according to him I caused a car to brake hard and evade causing tyre screeching. I heard absolutely no tyre screeching and made sure it was clear to go from the middle lane to the left lane and then take the second exit. :confused: The examiner also would not debrief me as such, and ignored me to such the extent that when he was in the passenger seat (I in driver's seat) while he told what I supposedly did wrong to my instructor... he turned his back to face me, putting me completely out of the debrief. Whatsallthataboutthen? Isn't it a case that I'm supposed to be told where I went wrong as well?

I'm sorry for you.. it wouldn't half be grand to be celebrating instead but that's just how it goes I suppose. One mistake is still better than 3 or 5. :(
Let's hope your instructor takes you on the known test routes more frequently.
Have/are you putting in for the re-sit straight away?

I'm sorry for you.. it wouldn't half be grand to be celebrating instead but that's just how it goes I suppose. One mistake is still better than 3 or 5. :(
It happens. What's done is done.
Let's hope your instructor takes you on the known test routes more frequently.
He does, just that this particular incident caught me out in the test.
Have/are you putting in for the re-sit straight away?
Yes.

Going out in the Land Rover this evening, and I was terrified by it's crap handling and brakes compared to my instructor's car. I also disliked how it was so cold for such a long time before it began warming up, and how it jolted over certain bumps and potholes (unladen, but still decent for a leafer).

I was missing the accurate steering, nice warm heater, the 'pokiness' of the instructor's car among many other things. (Yes I finally adapted to it, and now I see why I struggled initially!)

I actually disliked driving the 2A for the first half hour going into town (to examine what my single Major fail on the test was). I wanted better handling characteristics, warmth, better engine performance etc.

Rich I have this every time I go from one of the 110's to the Freebie or from the Freebie to the Jag.

It's just one of those things

Going out in the Land Rover this evening, and I was terrified by it's crap handling and brakes compared to my instructor's car. ...................
..........................................................So who else here has had this happen as well? :D

The point is Rich, your instructor's cars is easy to drive - all Euroboxes are. Relatively enormous brakes; relatively high power to weight ratio; go-kart steering; go-kart handling for the most part - takes almost no effort to drive it. That's why they sell. Its also why we've all said, in the past, that if you can drive your IIa safely and not get in other peoples way; you can drive anything.

Even after forty years, I get a certain satisfaction out of doing what I did a few weks ago. Came back from shopping with 'er indoors in her Punto Grande (very twitchy; snatchy brakes; no torque), took the Disco round to the church hall and picked up the trailer (heavy; rather ponderous; torquey but slow; great driving position) took a load to the dump then, dropped off the trailer and the Disco in that order. Walk round to the church hall and pick up the LDV 17 seater minibus ( long and wide; powerful 2.5 turbo diesel, but not much torque; nice manual gearbox; needs watching in traffic.)

Three entirely different vehicles in as many hours - the trick was dealing with all those differences on autopilot, while driving the vehicle. Once you've got that little pink ticket (or whatever they give you nowadays) your IIa will probably be your regular wheels and you will get so familiar with it, you'll put it on like a pair of old slippers. Everything else will 'lack charisma'. Go like greased weazle sh*t, but lack charisma.:D

Roger.

you'll find a lot of that attitude from people in life, in these circumstances keep your head down and do what is asked from the best of your ability and take on the experience of what you've gained from the test. Don't make any small talk just hello and answer his questions briefly but knowledgeably.
As for driving a series they are a drivers vehicle as in you drive them not sit there turn the round thingy and press the stop go peddles thats why we love em Roger gave a great example of what a real driver can do and I myself jump at the chance to drive a new vehicle not just silly sporty stuff but big commercial vans anything my licence lets me and I'd even have a go in a plastic pig if given the chance and yes if it wasn't mine I'd take the lot off road just for the hell of it (as long as my 109 was close to get me back home)

If I use my good lady's Nissan Pulsar (Almera saloon) to go to the shops, I find it harder to adjust back to the 110. Because the Nissan is strange to me, I concentrate harder on its differences - mainly the indicator/wiper stalks are on the opposite sides - and then when I relax again in the 110 I can't work out which side the indicators are.

Despite its (the Nissan's) luxuries (air-con, a stereo you can hear, etc.) I'd still choose the 110 any day. The only times I've not actually enjoyed driving he 110 have been when there has been mechanical trouble, like the steering wobble because of shot swivels and completely random gear selection when the selector came loose.

Good luck with the re-test by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
We get everything in from Smart cars to Supercharged Jaguars, all very different to drive. Did an Alfa with a sequential type gearbox yesterday, took me longer to get the thing into the workshop than the job took to do.:(

Chris

I too enjoy driving different vehicles, and with work I have often drive three different motors in the day. For example Drive my daily driver into work, pick up a Renault Master van for some shifting anout of stuff, drive the daily driver home. Then later that evening I'll drive my landy somewhere :)

Bad luck Rich P. The old 'which lane on a roundabout thingy' is a bit tricky; if everyone had to re-take their test I bet 75% would would fail on the roundabout! It probably was the allegation that another road user had to take evasive action that the examiner failed you. Better luck next time!

I have owned and driven all sorts of vehicles around the world, the one I like best: my 110 Defender. I recently bought a Honda type R to do some distance work and it has taken a while to get used to it. Getting back in my Landy is like putting on a old pair of comfy slippers!

Angela

Sometimes i think its just luck on the day. I passed mine first time 30 years ago and i thought i was terrible, so bad i would never have passed me:eek:
All my learning came in the coming months after having passed.
Your time will come, just be patient.

I regularly drive three different vehicles, plus bikes. My biggest problem is indicators. All my vehicles have VERY clean windscreens. I wish manufacturers would decide on a side for indicators and windscreen wipers and stick to it. Land Rover is OK though, just the one stalk so no confusion!

Ha ha...i feel the same after i've spent a while in a euro box. Its why im probably going to buy myself one in the next year:eek: The landy can then be a toy.

Unlucky with the test....pass it next time eh

must admit mate thats why i went for a freelander as i could only afford the one car!

it still feels odd after driving my brother astra (hot hatchback) or sisters focus (hot hatch again) but I would change the freebie for the world :)

Good luck on your next test...I had to take mine three times for varying different reasons :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom