• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Starter motor test.

two1/4jim

In Fourth Gear
Hi folks. Forgive me if this is a dumb question but if I connect terminal A to + and terminal B to negative (see pic) should the starter motor run? (Whilst on the bench using a spare battery with good charge) because it isn't doing and I think it might be :razz: .

Attachments

• wDSCF8009.jpg
    wDSCF8009.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 18
Right... I think I was doing it wrong before... I forgot about the spade connector. Now if I connect terminal A and C (spade) to postive at the same time and terminal B to positive the gear jumps up but the motor doesn't turn. should it?

Attachments

• wDSCF8009.jpg
    wDSCF8009.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 16
I can see where the +ve goes to the motor but where does the negative come from....does the solenoid complete the circut somehow?? if so that might be where the problem is...maybe have some crid stopping the solenoid going out far enough to make a contact:confused:

Hmm I was recently helping my mate test a similar looking starter.. Rested the case on the negetive battery terminal and used a nackered jump lead to provide the positive to the a terminal, it threw out and spun!

It was off an early 90

the reaqson I was saying was because we were trying to get nobbers engine going and the earth strap was loose causing just the solenoid to click out. nobber tightened the strap and it went fine.... so i suppose the starter must have to earth through the body of the starter:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Tried it with the negetive against the body too and its just thowing the gear out like you said satancom but not spinning. I think shes knackerd.

just spoke to me older and wiser (when it comes to vehicles at least) brother and he reckons its the solenoid. wish I could work stuff like this out... I'm a bit thick:buck:

I can see where the +ve goes to the motor but where does the negative come from....does the solenoid complete the circut somehow?? if so that might be where the problem is...maybe have some crid stopping the solenoid going out far enough to make a contact:confused:

Ha! See!!! :D:D I did get it sort of, but i'd have replaced the engine or something by now

Though this talks about all starter motors hopefully it could help you out a bit.

FAULT
CAUSE
REMEDY
Clicks but does not turn.
Solenoid fault - normally burnt contacts.
Replace solenoid or contacts.
No life at all.
No circuit through armature.
Check link from solenoid brushes, or armature. Replace as required.
Smokes/becomes hot.
Burn out or short circuit.
Investigate or replace as required.
Appears to engage but 'throws out' before engaging.
Slipping drive or gear fault.
Replace drive or gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom