• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Steering relay arm angles

SeriesG

Offroader
I thought I'd have a look at my steering relay before I put the radiator back on. It seems to be in reasonable condition with no slop it but it probably could use some lube...
Anyway, after looking at it a bit closer I noticed that the upper and lower arms are at 90 degrees to one another whereas the manual says the upper one should be skewed forward 9 degrees for an 81 degree difference between the two. Is this a problem? Is it worth going to the trouble of changing it?
20240420_215913.jpg

Screenshot_20240420_215519_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I've not been diagnosed with OCD (the last thing I need or care to find out...) but I do suspect I have a bit if it. Either that or I actually care about doing a decent job. Either way you look at it the out-of-spec angles were bothering me so I decided to correct the issue if possible. Surprisingly the nuts n' bolts came off easily as did the upper arm. I pulled off the damper upper seal ring to have a peek inside and it looked clean. Also surprising considering the horror stories I've read about steering relays. I squeezed 90wt gear oil into the bolt holes a few times, cleaned it off, and bolted the cover back on with a bead of silicone and some fresh grease on the seal. I then cleaned up the splines and reinstalled the upper arm one tooth forward which gave me the angle I was looking for.
20240420_221800.jpg

20240420_222354.jpg

The steering wheel was way off center and I couldn't get the wheels to go all the way to the stops when turning right so I loosened the rod-end clamps on the steering box drag link and adjusted it longer to the tune of the amount the arm had moved forward, then tightened the clamps back up. That actually looks a lot better now as there is some room for adjustment either way on the rod ends where before they were hard against the ends of the rod. Now the steering wheel is nicely centered and the wheels move lock-to-lock with ease.
20240420_225931.jpg

So what is going on here? Judging by the condition of the upper relay link arm clamp bolt nut I'd guess that someone had been messing with this in the past.
20240420_222711.jpg

Perhaps the previous owner removed the link to get at one of the seal cap bolts for a lube point and replaced it one spline off. Not knowing why the geometry was out of whack they adjusted the steering box drag link shorter to compensate. I don't know why it was like it was but I do know that now it's as per the factory settings and seems good. Fine then! šŸ˜
20240420_225924.jpg

I've not been diagnosed with OCD (the last thing I need or care to find out...) but I do suspect I have a bit if it. Either that or I actually care about doing a decent job. Either way you look at it the out-of-spec angles were bothering me so I decided to correct the issue if possible. Surprisingly the nuts n' bolts came off easily as did the upper arm. I pulled off the damper upper seal ring to have a peek inside and it looked clean. Also surprising considering the horror stories I've read about steering relays. I squeezed 90wt gear oil into the bolt holes a few times, cleaned it off, and bolted the cover back on with a bead of silicone and some fresh grease on the seal. I then cleaned up the splines and reinstalled the upper arm one tooth forward which gave me the angle I was looking for.
View attachment 529647
View attachment 529646
The steering wheel was way off center and I couldn't get the wheels to go all the way to the stops when turning right so I loosened the rod-end clamps on the steering box drag link and adjusted it longer to the tune of the amount the arm had moved forward, then tightened the clamps back up. That actually looks a lot better now as there is some room for adjustment either way on the rod ends where before they were hard against the ends of the rod. Now the steering wheel is nicely centered and the wheels move lock-to-lock with ease.
View attachment 529643
So what is going on here? Judging by the condition of the upper relay link arm clamp bolt nut I'd guess that someone had been messing with this in the past.
View attachment 529645
Perhaps the previous owner removed the link to get at one of the seal cap bolts for a lube point and replaced it one spline off. Not knowing why the geometry was out of whack they adjusted the steering box drag link shorter to compensate. I don't know why it was like it was but I do know that now it's as per the factory settings and seems good. Fine then! šŸ˜
View attachment 529644
Is yours a series 2 or Series 3 as Series 3 angle is 90 degrees.
Have a look at the end of the shaft coming through steering box there is a line across the end of the shaft when this is at 90 degrees to the steering column/ box the steering box is centred.
The second pic I have attached is typical steering box arm position on the steering box.

Attachments

• steering fork shaft.JPG
    steering fork shaft.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Steering box alignment.JPG
    Steering box alignment.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 13
Is yours a series 2 or Series 3 as Series 3 angle is 90 degrees.
Have a look at the end of the shaft coming through steering box there is a line across the end of the shaft when this is at 90 degrees to the steering column/ box the steering box is centred.
The second pic I have attached is typical steering box arm position on the steering box.
My vehicle is a late 1971 production Series 2a. Mechanically it's a lot like I'd imagine a Series 3 to be but aesthetically it's still a 2a.

I tried to take a picture of the steering box shaft but with the engine in place it was difficult to get a good view. The picture is down over the engine from the left hand side of the vehicle.
20240421_014225.jpg

From what I can see the line is approximately correct re your pic but opposite as mine is left hand drive.

My vehicle is a late 1971 production Series 2a. Mechanically it's a lot like I'd imagine a Series 3 to be but aesthetically it's still a 2a.

I tried to take a picture of the steering box shaft but with the engine in place it was difficult to get a good view. The picture is down over the engine from the left hand side of the vehicle.
View attachment 529669
From what I can see the line is approximately correct re your pic but opposite as mine is left hand drive.
Looks like the line is at 8 - 2 oclock to me what position where your wheels in at the time.
Easiest thing to do is put front axle on axle stands and rotate steering one side to other, rub the end of the shaft with a wire brush then put some chalk or white soap on the end then gently rub excess off should show the mark better.
If the steering box is not centred you get good steering in one direction but slower response in the other direction
Another pic to show steering box inards that position is mid point where line would be 90 degree to column.

Attachments

• DSCF1908.JPG
    DSCF1908.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 8
Ah yes, I see where you're coming from now. That makes sense. I'll check it closer when I get home from work. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom