• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

swing away spare wheel carrier question

stiltskin

Accelerating Away
Can anyone tell me the best place to buy one from for a 90 without haveing to take out a second morgage. Or is it you get what you pay for.

Thanx in advance....paul

Paul,

There are quite a few on the market. Some stay attached to the door as well as the cross member, some have seat for a hi-lift jack to sit on. Here's a few of many;

Paddock Swingaway - £97 www.paddockspares.com
Bearmach - £116 www.bearmach.com
Mantech is even more expensive but probably the best. www.mantec.co.uk

I reckon, like everything, you get what you pay for.

AJ

They are definatly a case of get what you pay for, the cheaper units are "flimsy" and of poor design, they dont always bolt to the chassis with both mounts making them weaker and tend to rattle, they wont always open with the door easily on the cheaper models.

Mantec do make a very nice model...thats the one i want for my 110 :)

Bearmach/WVH fit the wheel offset to give better access to the door handle
Mantec fit s the wheel dead centre and IMHO looks better.
I have read reports of wvh ones lacking in powder coat quality
bearmach have greasable hinges.

wvh do one that allows the high lift to be stored on it.

I have bent my Mantec one quite badly when the spare tyre hit the ground climbing out of a ditch.
staightened it out with a club hammer/piece of wood
no probs on finish quality whatsoever.

pivlock also sell one no opinion to offer.

prices vary discount on Mantec rare even at shows.

It's got to be the mantec. Mine's been on about a year now, and is as solid as the day I bought it. It's only got a 31x10.5 tyre on it, but it holds the rear door together (converted from drop tailgate to side mounting with 2 dodgy hinges).

If you have a look here and go into the "Defender" album, there's some photos of the fitting process.

Cheers

Ben

I've been trying to get the phone number or webite of W&H wheel carriers. I have had one of their carriers in the past and liked it. I was wanting to get another if they are still about.

Can anyone help with contact details.

Simon

Stiltskin,

In my experience you do indeed get what you pay for. Bought mine from this guy on the forum. Had to let the intire wheel mouning get rewelded, doing that took the oppotunity to re-design it a bit as well:).

The Mantec is the one I keep hearing good things about from guys that do a fair bid of off roading. Although Slime101 I do believe this one also just bolts on to the chassis with of the mounts.

Grtz,
Pieter

Most of them have quite narrow brackets where they attach to the body. If you want wider ones to spread the load a bit more, get a WVA one, they're really well engineered with greasable joints and mine was around £150, for one suitable for a tailgate. Stattler has one for a door, and his pics are here:-

https://www.lrukforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16181&highlight=wheel+carrier

there's a pic of mine here:-

https://www.lrukforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17955&highlight=wheel+carrier

The details for WVA are :-

Adrian Watson

WVA Holdings

4a Gledhill Road
Bradford
BD3 9LX

tel: 01274 740381
Fax: 01274 632070

Nice bloke, and really helpful. The only slightly dodgy thing for me was the restraint to stop it flying open, which I've tried to beef up a bit. (Following almost hitting on-coming motorcylist with 16" alloy plus 265/80 16 BFG AT!)

Although I'm left handed with both hands and only an owner for 8 months I still dare to say: there is no such thing as easy fit on a LR.

But I'm sure you'll get it fitted, I always do, even if I need to use both left feet!

FTLOM said:
Although I'm left handed with both hands and only an owner for 8 months I still dare to say: there is no such thing as easy fit on a LR.

But I'm sure you'll get it fitted, I always do, even if I need to use both left feet!

I'll second that...and almost nothing comes with any form of instructions for fitting, and those few items that do are so porely written they are as good as not having them anyway!

Slime101 said:
I'll second that...and almost nothing comes with any form of instructions for fitting, and those few items that do are so porely written they are as good as not having them anyway!

:) :) :)

And still we gladly pay good money...

The Mantec instructions were really straightforward. They're also meant to be pretty good for talking you through stuff on the phone, although I didn't need to.

Cheers

Ben

Rang WVA today turns out they were W&H Wheel Carriers. Turns out that they produce a some of the parts for Scorpion Racing. (Wheel carriers, Tow hitches etc.)

Had two mountain bikes on the spare wheel cycle carrier the pther day and heard a loud crack. Took off the door trim to inspect the frame. There was no visible cracks or corrosion but one of the rivit heads had sheared off the inside of the frame!

Been looking at the Mantec carrier and got a price - £182.70 + VAT. If it's a case of you get what you pay for I may be looking at one of these.

AJ

Last edited by a moderator:
AJ - if you are going, and can wait for the peterborough show mantec usually do considerable discounts at the shows, for example @ billing the £150+vat raised air intake was just £80, almost half price.

There are no guarentess on their price reductions but i rekon its worth a wait!

Slime,

Cheers for that info mate. If that's the case I'll get my oppo who's working on a stand there to price them and hopefully pick one up.

AJ

Back
Top Bottom