• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

How Do I? Swivel lube square headed bolt HELP!!!

markospondon

Accelerating Away
ANyone any tips???????/ Trying to remove the square head bolt to top up swivel lube on nearside front hub. Did the other side with 7/16th spanner but cant shift this one even having soaked it in releasing agent. Need a 'square spanner' Swivel is dry as oil ran out when I put new discs on.

If you have a 15mm 1/2" square drive socket, stick the square end of the socket on the filler plug, then try turning the socket with a 1/2" ratchet.

Sounds a little cack handed - but it works for me :D

Thanks for those, will give them a try tomorro' night. It is a bit more difficult to get at on nearside cos of the steering thing!!

Mine were thread locked in by the previous owner and the one was rounded off pretty bad. I hammered an old socket onto it and did it that way.

Cheers, Ben

an old style 1/2" drive ratchet which has the drive bar that pops out to leave a 1/2" square hole is ideal. it does a couple of filler plugs on a series.

kev. :D

ANyone any tips???????/ Trying to remove the square head bolt to top up swivel lube on nearside front hub. Did the other side with 7/16th spanner but cant shift this one even having soaked it in releasing agent. Need a 'square spanner' Swivel is dry as oil ran out when I put new discs on.

A brake adjusting tool will fit, least that's how we did ours:)

7/16 open ended spanner and a hammer on my passenger side one. :)
Made easier having the wheel off

If you hit it hard, make sure you are striking towards the floor so the axle stands take the force directly, rather than sideways...

Job done, thanks for the tips, used the half inch socket drive and a big adjustable for leverage. Wont have to run around the Derbyshire lanes tomorrowwith the rest of the Derbyshire Laners thread with a dry swivel.:D

Back
Top Bottom