• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

TAV193X - Series 3 Land Rover - Stolen

Land Raver

Extreme Landy Fan
Copied from Landyzone.....

My beloved series 3 soft-top 'Tigger' reg. TAV193X was stolen from outside my house on evening of Friday 6th / morning of Saturday 7th October London Herne Hill SE24.

Original bronze green, mint condition, spare wheel on the bonnet, loved and cherished by the family, if anyone sees him please let me know.
Thank you
James

Here are some pics when bought....no change has been loved and kept in heated garage most of the time. Hard to imagine a more shiny Series 3 out there.

P1170003.jpg P1170006.jpg P11700051.jpg P11700071.jpg P11700081.jpg

Bastards. You do have my sympathy - what a lovely vehicle to have stolen. And the trouble with Land Rovers is that they're so easy to strip down. Too late now, but I was advised that a galv chassis should always be painted to avoid it being too obvious to a potential thief. If he sees it he knows straight away that the chassis will bring him a thousand or two and it is extremely likely that all the other parts are in good nick too.

Ah! Shows you how aware I am - I didn't notice the date on the original post. Don't suppose there is anything left of it now - all the parts will be elsewhere. It does seem to me strange, though, that it is so easy in this country to clone a vehicle.

Sometimes I wonder about Britain - you know, one of the top economies in the world, a phenomenal history of influence in the world yet we seem so inept at the basics which others manage as a matter of course. DVLA seem more interested in selling number plates than actually controlling registrations. Just look how often "mementoes" are offered for sale on eBay: a set of VIN plates and a data plate for a Land Rover for £500. It's obvious to anyone that the only purpose is so another Land Rover can be registered against the data and free tax claimed. Come to that, why allow free tax to "historic" vehicles anyway? If you drive a vehicle over 40 then you either have enough money to be running it for fun - in which case you can afford to tax it and pay for an MoT, or you have no money at all and are running an un-serviced, black-smoke emitting basket case - in which case, you should certainly be paying for an MoT! Then there are the government computers - millions of pounds wasted over the years and none of them can talk to each other. How many times do we have to give our details to government departments - I feel so much like saying, "but you already know how old I am, where I live, my ethnicity, my age etc..." I just wonder how many people get missed by the census, for example. And no one knows anyway who exactly is in the country, - or even how many people. The Border Force may check inbound passengers, but, apparently, they don't record those leaving... really? Can that really be true? It's mind-boggling. Why don't you need to take your voting card with you to the polling station (place in Scotland - ack to Big S) What's the point of sending one if you don't need it? Why is it so easy to get a postal vote? Really, I am sure they are far better organised in countries with considerably less sophistication than ours. And talking of which, some years ago I was serving in Africa with the UN. We all had Toyota Land Cruisers and Nissan Patrols - there was a lovely story of one fairly senior chap on loan to the UN who decided to take his home with him. He slipped it into a container and off it went - It could be seen in his home town for quite a while thereafter as he had forgotten to remove the large black UN marking on the roof of his white car! Oh, and 70 years after the National Health Service was set up, it is almost impossible to get on a dentist's list as an NHS patient - only private - at significantly higher cost. Our local Health Board have just sent out letters to the over 80s inviting them for a Covid booster jab. They have been allocated slots at a number of venues, seemingly chosen at random and some miles from where they live. Following complaints about the choice of venue the Health Board responded on social media (hugely popular, of course, with the over 80s,) "OK, well, just turn up to whichever one you want and bring the letter with you" - there'll be chaos1 I'm rambling now - must be time for bed.

If you drive a vehicle over 40 then you either have enough money to be running it for fun - in which case you can afford to tax it and pay for an MoT, or you have no money at all and are running an un-serviced, black-smoke emitting basket case - in which case, you should certainly be paying for an MoT!
Agree with almost everything you say except that part...

There are a lot of people who own and love classic cars who arent particularly rich (check out your fellow members of LRUK for starters!), who do their own repairs and maintenance to a reasonably high standard (probably better in many cases than some of the inde garages).

You have a point, certainly and it is true that many of us are better home mechanics than some of those who are paid to do the job! (I don't include myself in that list, though) - I'm crap. I'm a typical bloke who can read and understand what is required. In consequence, I know the theory of how something is supposed to happen and so do it... then wonder why it doesn't turn out quite like it does in the picture. I can do DIY - it won't fall down, but, equally, it won't be particularly straight or seamless. (It's as well I don't make posh cakes for a living!) But, I still feel that having another guy look over your work for roughly £1 a week isn't a bad investment - it's surprising how often you can miss the obvious - the rusted suspension turret on my D2, being a case in point - it looked absolutely fine to me, but, apparently, it was dangerously corroded. Funny thing was though that the garage lent me a courtesy car (a 200,000 miler Ford Focus - brilliant, but... technically an MoT failure as the dashboard had a lit warning light for the engine. When it was pointed out..."oh, it's been like that for ages, nothing to worry about!"

I've never understood why folk would risk a fine, or maybe imprisonment for a false exemption for what is effectively a fiver a week.

That being said, mine will be exempt soon. I will be glad not to pay tax having paid it every year on all the Landies I have ever owned, if you add it up, probably more money in tax than the Landy cost me in the first place... The Mot though, it's going to get one whether it has to or not. Agree with the 2nd pair of eyes theory.

Back
Top Bottom