• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

The Log Rover

logrover

Accelerating Away
Just thought I's share this site with you - it's hopefully more "Work Completed" than "Work In Progress", although that usually soon changes with a Landie ;)

It's a full rebuild of Series III 109", but with a few modifications and some interesting hydraulic additions along the way...

http://www.log-rover.co.uk

cheers,

neil.

Wow!! That is one amazing truck!! It's great to see something so different to the normal stuff and you actually use it too. Very cool :)

That sure is one nice truck mate, really enjoyed the web site as well, you must be well proud of what you have built and achieved:thumbsup:

thanks for the nice words - yes I am pleased with the end result - although at times during the 2.5 year build i did wonder if i would get there :)

Hi Hugh, yes they (LROI) did take pictures of the amended grill, as well as everything else (about 8gb of pics apparently) - not sure how many they will use, but we'll see in the next issue apparently...

cheers,

neil.

Nice work there. Re the micro switch on the Hydraulic pump linkage, I was led to believe that was a standard fit on Hydro Board vehicles, and was linked to either a "PTO engaged" type warning lamp, or through a relay or two, with the reversing light & ignition system [idea being that it cut the ignition feed to the engine if reverse gear was engaged while the PTO was active] - Hydraulic pumps don't like working backwards :eek: .

Sandy, thanks for the info about the micro switch - it is a good solid state type thing properly mounted, which does look a bit more up to the job than something a previous private owner may have lashed up - so your info makes sense.

It was on the pump when i bought it from Ebay, so I made use of it to switch on a pump warning might on the dash, and a "pump hours" meter (an engine hours meter off ebay) with the other feed coming from the oil pressure switch so the counter only runs when the engine is running, not just ignition on...

cheers,

neil.

Sandy, thanks for the info about the micro switch - it is a good solid state type thing properly mounted, which does look a bit more up to the job than something a previous private owner may have lashed up - so your info makes sense.....

No problem Neil, I have the same set up on the Pump for my Aeroparts winch, - however I must confess I removed the switch and bracket for cleaning and never got round to re-fitting it :eek:

BTW what capacity of Oil tank did you use? and what grade of Hydraulic oil are you using?

Cheers, Sandy.

Attachments

• Aeropartswinch1.JPG
    Aeropartswinch1.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 75
BTW what capacity of Oil tank did you use? and what grade of Hydraulic oil are you using?

I used an old air compressor tank I found on a tip and then modified (added filler/filter/breather unit - military surplus off ebay), and a nut to mount a 2.25 engine water temp sender connected to a water temp gauge on the dash to monitor oil temp, and a drain plug. Measured capacity later and it was 5 gallons - same as the original Landrover hydr oil tank. This is smaller than the theory, but having used the logsplitter for 3 hours non stop, the oil temp is still ok (can hold hand on pipes/ram/etc) -so it seems ok. Photos of the tank, before and after, are on the webpage.

The oil was ISO 32 Hydraulic Oil, not sure of spec- just bought a 25L drum, off ebay of course - if you are spending 2 years building something, you can take your time on ebay and just buy the bargains - avoiding all the ripoffs:) .

cheers,

neil.

Hi,
I've just found your log-rover site.
Absolutely brilliant, an inspiration to us all to find a slightly diffrent from 'normal' use for these truely magnificently versatile vehicles.
Well done and I hope she serves you proud for many years.
DB

:) thanks all for the good feedback:)

as for the photos, it started off as just a way of trying to explain to others in the office what i had been working on the night before (rather than watching Big Bother or something), but ended up being quite a useful record of what went into the build. The album software I used is called Jalbum and is free, and fairly straight forward to use once the initial config has been done (link to it on the bottom of the index pages).

quite interesting now to see how many people are viewing the site and from which countries (stats you can get from the Counter software), so please continue to enjoy:)

cheers,
neil.

Fantastic!
A great oppurtunity for a smokehouse , with all that lovely oak lying around.
Got a trout farm near by?

thanks c-one for that suggestion - we have oak and we have trout, guess i just need to find some time to build a smokehouse...

for anyone interested, i've now moved a few small photo albums of my other Landies into the Log Rover website as well, so it now includes a few photos of the 109 LWB, Rangie, Disco, a dismantled Lightweight and a stray kitcar:

www.log-rover.co.uk

cheers,

neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom