• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Tool rolls for drawers or wolf boxes

Geobloke

Posting Guru
I am getting a bit fed up with the massive vacuum formed plastic carry case my socket/spanner set came in. It really doesn't fit well in the back of any of my vehicles and if not properly wedged by other things slides around and usually ending in a big thunk against something.

I have a set of wolf or Front Runner boxes which I use for all sorts of camp/expedition items and love them to bits. Also a drawer system in the rear load area.

So the question would be, is there a solution for tools that fits inside the wolf box? In particular something that allows for the segregation of tools (spanners, sockets, etc). Soft canvas bags would work, but not against hard sided solutions if they fit in the larger wolf boxes.

I am curious to know what your solutions for carrying tools are?

I have found some nice solutions from across the big pond, but alas I do not think they have stockists over here

For example the Step 22 tool roll

What have you got? What do you think? Show us your tidy drawers...

Picture1.jpg
I use old "Tupperware for men" ammo boxes painted to match the landy. I have two of these with tool rolls inside and than have them strapped down in the back
Its a cheap option

That STep22 Tool roll is very nice, shame it's not available here. I've bought a few Tool Totes from America before now, they have all the best gear. The VETO stuff is really nice, but pricey.
Probably not really ideal for sockets, but..

Cheap and cheerful tool rolls so that if/when they die I can replace them and not worry about it;

Had a couple of these for 2 years now and not destroyed them yet. One with smaller spanners the other with larger ones. And a smallish plastic tool box with pliers, cutters, pipe/mole grips adjustable spanner and all the little other get-you-home things.

Most of the tools I carry on board Ive bought from charity shops (decent quality britool spanners etc, but about 50p each) so no worries if they get lost or stolen.

All the decent stuff is in the garage at home.

Super option. What are the tool rolls you have in them?
I have them in some old canvass tool rolls I picked up from a militaria fare yonks ago. I just unpicked the stitching and made the pockets suit the sockets etc. I don't carry a full socket set just the main sizes, spanners, pliers and the usual bits and bats. The old canvass rolls are good as they roll up to fit the boxes nicely

That STep22 Tool roll is very nice, shame it's not available here. I've bought a few Tool Totes from America before now, they have all the best gear. The VETO stuff is really nice, but pricey.
Probably not really ideal for sockets, but..
Not come across VETO before. Nice gear. You are not wrong about them being pricey and requiring importing in to the UK. Marginally irritating, but hey...

Cheap and cheerful tool rolls so that if/when they die I can replace them and not worry about it;

Had a couple of these for 2 years now and not destroyed them yet. One with smaller spanners the other with larger ones. And a smallish plastic tool box with pliers, cutters, pipe/mole grips adjustable spanner and all the little other get-you-home things.

Most of the tools I carry on board Ive bought from charity shops (decent quality britool spanners etc, but about 50p each) so no worries if they get lost or stolen.

All the decent stuff is in the garage at home.
Good plan on the charity shop tools, I hadn't thought of that. And thanks for the spanner roll, that is cheap as chips :)

I did notice that in the "other folks have bought" section their were these as wel:

Tool roll with pouches at £13.99 and obviously "inspired" by something like the Step22/Veto versions - Between the spanner roll and this I think you'd be pretty much sorted and at 1/2 the space of the huge plastic box they are currently stored in.

All good solutions for sure. :)

I have them in some old canvass tool rolls I picked up from a militaria fare yonks ago. I just unpicked the stitching and made the pockets suit the sockets etc. I don't carry a full socket set just the main sizes, spanners, pliers and the usual bits and bats. The old canvass rolls are good as they roll up to fit the boxes nicely
I think that the canvas rolls are the way to go here. Simple and will stop the tools rattling around as well :)

Yep. I painted a single one red for my 88, I bolted this to the tub and got a little lock post of ebay for a couple of quid. Its not theft proof but its enough. You can get a surprising amount into these old boxes and with the canvass roll its rattle free.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom