• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Transfer box ratios?

Depends what it's in. If a Disco, 1.22, defender 1.41. However a lot of Defender owners swap to a Disco 1.22 box for quieter cruising.

This is a Defender thread..

If one "upgrades" from a 1.4 to a 1.2 box in a 110, would the 200TDi / LT77 combo deliver enough power to keep the thing cruising along at 70mph?

I don't want to have to change down each time I see a hill in the distance.

I'd keep the 1.4 transfer ratios if it was my truck. The 1.2 makes 1st gear too tall for my liking, and I don't think that the drop in revs at cruise are worth it.

Are you sure it's a Defender? Just to be sure the one on the far left in your sig is a Disco, the one to the right of it is a Defender.;)

This is a Defender thread..

If one "upgrades" from a 1.4 to a 1.2 box in a 110, would the 200TDi / LT77 combo deliver enough power to keep the thing cruising along at 70mph?

I don't want to have to change down each time I see a hill in the distance.

Not only on hills. on the long straights with a headwind in Botswana :D :D Sometimes I have to drop out of overdrive in those winds.

Hang on a minute, let me go and check the registration document to see what the big white thing is with "Defender" on the back :D

You know with two of those white square 110" things parked at my place along with a less square D2, it can all get very confusing...

On a more serious note, my Defender 110 300TDi that's about to be lowered onto a truck to make it's way to the scrapyard has a 1.2 transfer box, while my Defender 110 200TDi has a 1.4 transfer box.

I've had a word with the scrappie and he's ok with me lifting "nice" things such as the pristine door cards, the unmarked steering wheel, the TD5 grille surround, the almost brand new tyres and rims, the handbrake, propshafts and the underbody protection. I was wondering if the transfer box shouldn't make it's way to my workshop. Worst case scenario would be to use it as a donor for a service exchange unit at some point in the future.

As per various other threads I am looking at changing my TD5 to a Disco box and then getting an ECU remap.

I gather the extra power and the disco box are a good combination if you don't want the complexity of an overdrive system.

Back
Top Bottom