• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now
  • Hi Guest,

We restrict posting in the sales areas to members who have made more than 10 posts and been registered here for more than 10 days, this is to help reduce the amount of scammers and fraudsters who may join up for that purpose.

Once you meet the requirements you will be given the ability to post in here.

Turner Diagnostics in Hemel Hempstead - avoid

nigelmuir

In Second Gear
Just wanted to share this experience, so others don't waste their time and money:
I am a repeat customer at Turners, and have spent around £1000 with them in the last couple of years. But truly awful experience on Friday. Booked in for Disco3 sensor fault (again) and was told by Elliot Turner to bring car in Friday morning. Got there at 10.00 after 35 mile drive, with my wife in other car to take me home. Parked my Disco. Older man (Eric Turner I believe) said "what are you doing parked there?" Very very hostile and unfriendly. I said dropping car off. He said "you've missed your appointment". I said I was told to bring it in the morning. He said, "the appointment was 9.00, you've missed it". I said I wasn't told that there was a time (and on previous appointments I have not been given a time) and he said again "you've missed it, and we can't slot you in". I told him I was a repeat customer and he said he didn't care, he wasn't going to do the work.

I said that was not good customer service, and bad for his reputation and he threatened me that he would make sure that no Land Rover dealer would service my car again. Staggering! Probably the worst customer experience I've ever had, total and utter waste of time (3hrs round trip almost) and petrol. Avoid - like the plague. I mean it, avoid Turner Diagnostics. The old guy needs to retire now, clearly completely past it and has lost the plot. His son, Elliot, who I have dealt with before always really good in the past - hope can salvage the business from this. Business suicide - perhaps related to Gerald Ratner!

Welcome to the forum @nigelmuir . As you say abysmal customer service.

I rarely let anyone fix or service my landy or campervan and prefer to learn how to do it myself . Perhaps for the cost of the labour you would have paid you can buy a fault code reader and enter the dark world of landy mechanics . It can be a frustrating journey of self doubt and dead ends but very rewarding when you fix it yourself .

Welcome again 👍

Hi there. Thanks for the advice, I have a fault reader but have various sensors triggering - ABS, stability control, transmission faults etc - the full Xmas tree display on the dash. Can't clear the codes, so needs expert input (just not from Turners...). Now, on my 110 I can mend most of it myself, but Disco electronics defeat me!

Have you tried the JLR SDD software... unofficially avalaible via online auction sites near you with a mongoose cable for sub £100 ;). Ive used it on both my old D3 and current Jag and its done everything Ive needed of it. Ive even re- flashed modules even though folk warn against.But the trick is having a good battery support unit capable of keeping the voltages stable.

As for Turners, a quick google shows you're not the first!

Clearly he could have talked to you politely and with a bit of customer focus, but from his point of view, you were leaving your vehicle there an hour late and just expecting them to sort it. Didn't you ask what time they wanted it? How come he says your "appointment" was 9.00 if you were just told to "drop it off in the morning"? That usually means first thing whenever I book vehicles in anywhere, i.e. opeing time.
I'm not condoning bad manners or rudeness but turning up late and just leaving your vehicle is pretty arrogant too. Must have gotten his back up straight away. Some very poor communication here.

Thanks Cliff. I've used them several times and they've always had the car in for a week or two. They know I live in South London, so had a bit of a drive, and I was never given an "appointment time". I agreed with Elliot to bring it up in the morning so expected that would be OK, based on my previous visits. Lesson learned, so clearly I will ask for a more precise time in future, but even so did not expect to be treated in that way. Regretting the money I've spent with them in the past, could have placed the business with nicer people.

Thanks Cliff. I've used them several times and they've always had the car in for a week or two. They know I live in South London, so had a bit of a drive, and I was never given an "appointment time". I agreed with Elliot to bring it up in the morning so expected that would be OK, based on my previous visits. Lesson learned, so clearly I will ask for a more precise time in future, but even so did not expect to be treated in that way. Regretting the money I've spent with them in the past, could have placed the business with nicer people.
I think the onus is on the supplier not the customer to be clear what they want in terms of drop off times etc. This is the problem with some suppliers, they put the onus on the customer to understand by telepathy what they expect .

In the current climate only the best services will survive . I know nothing about car electronics ( I have a series 3 and 37 year old VW camper ) but it looks like there may be a diy fix for you above ^^^^

Good luck , I hope you get it sorted soon 🤞

Ah, now that puts a whole different perspective on the situation. If you were dropping it off expecting them to sort out in their own time, then there was never an "appointment" per se. Very odd way to deal with customers. I think I'd be having a few strong words of my own and going elsewhere in future.

Back
Top Bottom