• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Two speed wiper wiring

Snagger

Posting Guru
Hi all.

I've fitted my Smartscreen unit to the 109, and it seems to work, but has an odd habit of slowing down the wipers when they're on the fast continuous setting and I press the washer button. The wipers do three sweeps at low speed, then two fast, one slow, and return to fast. The wipers are supposed to do three slow sweeps when the switch is off and the washer button is pressed, but it shouldn't affect continuous operation.

I think I may have connected it incorrectly, and Smartscreen are unable to help. All the manuals I can get hold of only show the single speed wiring diagram . The two speed unit has different wires, except for the green feed. Does anyone know which colour wires are for what?

On the single speed, Red Lght Green is the switch, Brown Light Green is the power from the park switch.

I fitted a variable windscreen controller that I bought from JC Whitney in the States. It was supposed to control a variable windscreen speed and give me a single wash wipe. Although I wired it up correctly it refused to function as it was supposed to. It would 'park' in odd places, miss wipes or just refuse to function etc etc. I pulled it out in the end. I wonder if the Land Rover wiper motor won't accept these kind of attachements?

I'm thinking as I'm typing - may be the controller drains just enough power to affect wiper motion? Perhaps fitting a live feed from the battery via a relay would help?

On the single speed, Red Lght Green is the switch, Brown Light Green is the power from the park switch.

I fitted a variable windscreen controller that I bought from JC Whitney in the States. It was supposed to control a variable windscreen speed and give me a single wash wipe. Although I wired it up correctly it refused to function as it was supposed to. It would 'park' in odd places, miss wipes or just refuse to function etc etc. I pulled it out in the end. I wonder if the Land Rover wiper motor won't accept these kind of attachements?

I'm thinking as I'm typing - may be the controller drains just enough power to affect wiper motion? Perhaps fitting a live feed from the battery via a relay would help?

That last part is not implausible - I'll try a separate feed instead of spuring off from the switch feed.

The unit works as advertised in all ways except for this. In reality, it's not likely that I'd need the washers on at the same time as using high speed wipers, so I could just live with it, but I do like things to be "just right".

The two speed swich has the following connections:
Two greens (feed to switch and to park circuit);
Green/red;
Green/brown;
Green/blue;
Green/yellow (waher jet pump).

I have assumed that the green/red is the low speed, the green/brown is the park circuit and green/blue the high speed, and this seems to tie in with the terminal positions on the diagram of the rear of the instrument panel (as viewed from behind) - greens to the bottom left, green/red bottom right, green/brown top right and green/blue top left. Incidentally, none of them have light green!

Back
Top Bottom