• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

VCU and noise when shifting a gear up

GPeppos

In Third Gear
Hi got my Freelander a couple of months back, i have a problem with my VCU its dampers has been ripped off, and my question is do i need a new VCU, a new damper or is it possible to fix with some kind of adhesive?
Also when ever i engage a gear i.e. from 1st to 2nd or basically when ever im shifting up a gear, i get this thump noise? If i engage the gear very very cautiously i don't hear anything. What do i do?

The thump noise is probably the rear diff, front mounting.

The damper around the VC is only fitted to some models. Cut it off, you won't notice much difference. Renault fit them on a version of their 4x4, ( Espace, I think, can't remember) they have a habit of falling off, so we get rid of them, never had one come back because of it.

Chris

deffo your front diff mount mate, same problem as mine, just replaced it last week and bingo all is well, on ebay for around a tenner and there genuine land rover parts

Thanks guys for the tip. I'm gonna take the damper of the VCU unit, well actually the damper did that for me, I just have to remove it from the prop shaft.

Back
Top Bottom