• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

very late 1985 series 3 swb 2.25 diesel wiring diagram required

toby burnham1966

In Second Gear
just started a restoration on a late model series 3 swb truck cab. The chassis was completely rotten but the engine and body work were all in good condition . will post some pictures later. has anybody got a wiring diagram for a late model 1985 2.25 diesel .its fitted with a brake check valve fog lamp and hazard warning lamp

Toby

If you haven't already, get yourself a green bible (Workshop manual to commoners...). Not a Haynes book of lies, a Land Rover manual. It's got a diagram in it that looks like this:

Circuit Diagram Full.jpg

Wire Colours Key.jpg

Excuse my "FULL" on it, I split the diagram up to make tracing the bits a little less intimidating!

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Get those pictures up soon! We need pictures... :alert:

@toby burnham1966 are you having troubles with any specific bits that we can help with? I've just finished a rebuild of 1982 S3 registered (although it was off the production line in Nov 1980) and struggled with finding the right diagram and getting the new Autosparks loom connected correctly but got there in the end.

@toby burnham1966 are you having troubles with any specific bits that we can help with? I've just finished a rebuild of 1982 S3 registered (although it was off the production line in Nov 1980) and struggled with finding the right diagram and getting the new Autosparks loom connected correctly but got there in the end.

Last edited:
Hi Tony, I was looking for a wiring diagram for a series 3 1976 2.25 diesel. Does the auto sparks harnesses fit ok? Any advice would be very helpful

If you order an Autosparks harness for the correct year of your vehicle then all should be fine. Mine fitted exactly as it should, the difficulty was just working out where everything went as I did not take photos of everything behind the instruments and on the ignition.

The diagram in the Haynes manual is suitable for purpose for a 1976 vehicle as it won't have complications like hazard warning lights, brake servo warning switch and a few other bits that came in later in the evolution of the S3

Hello everyone,
Im currently restoring a S3 from 1978 2.25 diesel, and i dont have a clue about what wire gauges, sizes, or what connectors to use. I know that they sell wirig harnesses, however, i want to try and do most by myself, a saw the diagram, and i think i can build it, however, i do not know the wire sizes or which connectors to use.
Greetings from spain.

Hello everyone,
Im currently restoring a S3 from 1978 2.25 diesel, and i dont have a clue about what wire gauges, sizes, or what connectors to use. I know that they sell wirig harnesses, however, i want to try and do most by myself, a saw the diagram, and i think i can build it, however, i do not know the wire sizes or which connectors to use.
Greetings from spain.

Hazards lights where an extra these may help
I would have suspected that by the last years of production of Series III's hazard lights would have been a standard fitment as were rear fog lights, which were a requirement by law from April 1981. The wiring circuit diagrams posted are also missing the wiring for the PWDA switch and it's relay, also a standard item by this time.

Hi @Javieri15 welcome to the forum!

For lighting circuits, gauges etc you will probably use 17.5 amp. Modern thin wall cables look flimsy compared to what you'll have in, but as long as they are rated for the circuits you want them for you'll be fine.

As posted by @Serious Series the vehicle wiring products website tells you what circuits you can run on each cable size. They have most of the colours you need. Other sites are of course available. I like vwp though, always had good service from them.

@Rufus Series 3
This company is getting rave reviews on Series 2 club forum check them for delivery times if good you can cancell auto sparks.
That sounds good. I am in need of a loom as there has been a small fire at some point before my ownership behind the dash. I want to replace the entire loom as it's now 49 years old, has had numerous additions and thought this would be the safest way of doing things. I looked at auto sparks but but wanted various bits I'm not sure are included in the basic loom, however they don't seem to be taking calls at the moment because of Covid. If I remember correctly you can order from their website and they will dispatch if its in stock.

Back
Top Bottom