• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What grinds YOUR gears??

as per this purchase: https://www.lrukforums.com/threads/and-today-you-have-purchased.31059/post-1959887

I told the misses I've paid for the water leak over the flat to be sorted by a pro and that I'd taken out insurance etc. Raised eyebrows at the cost. Then a grump and humph when I said I'd put all the details in a folder under the stairs so anyone can call the plumbers etc when needed. I got growled at and told "why on earth would she need that she doesnt care about the flats".

Be nice to be on the same page once in a while :(

The quality of modern components.
When you hear in mind the advances made in production technology since series vehicles were contemporary, everyday vehicles. How is it that companies cannot make a brake drum that is round or shoes that don't need sanding for 2 days to get them to engage evenly on a brand new ('kin expensive) drum (that is round)
But......

With modern improvements come cost cutting exercises.

Modern problems, modern solutions.

Most stuff is made to a price, nearly always overseas cheaply 🙄. My mate has a basic old boiler,got to be 40+ years old. Only has the pump a stuck valve or ignition,that ever goes wrong. It keeps going he won't waste 1000s on new.
Modern ones knacker things frequently, cheap components on circuit boards contribute.
It seems everything is the same,or similar nowadays quality has diminished.
I've skimmed a few drums, luckily my lathe has a gap so they fit. Hadn't thought about spinning a new one,to check for roundness 🤔

Most stuff is made to a price, nearly always overseas cheaply 🙄. My mate has a basic old boiler,got to be 40+ years old. Only has the pump a stuck valve or ignition,that ever goes wrong. It keeps going he won't waste 1000s on new.
Modern ones knacker things frequently, cheap components on circuit boards contribute.
It seems everything is the same,or similar nowadays quality has diminished.
I've skimmed a few drums, luckily my lathe has a gap so they fit. Hadn't thought about spinning a new one,to check for roundness 🤔

True, things are made cheaply these days, but also things have totally unnecessary complications included seemingly with the deliberate intention of making it fail sooner. Complicated solutions to simple problems will be the end of civilisation as we know it! David

Reminds me of when Wheeler Dealers did a Maserati.
There is a known fault with the accelerator pedal on them, where an element of it wears resulting in a dead spot on the pedal. A Man In a Shed has not only come up with a solution to the problem but a "fix" that is an improvement on the original factory installation and completely solves the original problem

An eBay seller who moaned about neutral feedback and asked me to change my feedback .
The item took 8 days to be posted from payment made .

I carefully considered his request then said NO !!
If I received such a request I would seriously consider changing my feedback- to negative, and include a comment about the seller asking for me to change it. David

Having a bit of spare cash and not being a big fan of the s3 hinges my 109 came with I bought a full front door set of proper used 2a hinges from ebay on a buy it now listing, after waiting longer than i should for them to arrive and no notice of posting i contacted the seller,
The reply that 'he had noticed that one had a grinder mark and he hadnt had the time to go up to his pals place to remove a hinge from another vehicle and would do so soon' prompted me to cancel the order toot sweet via ebay's procedure as i wanted to get on with things,
That and not believing a bleddy word he had written,
when the funds had been returned i bought from a different seller and had them sent to argos, 3 days later they had been delivered, painted and fitted inc new service bits,
no1 seller didnt seem at all bothered about the whole thing,
tbh i could have lived with a grinder mark if it meant getting them if informed of the probs straight off,
Its just the way some folk are,
The trouble is these types are not just on ebay,
They are also found working on the railway ticket offices, shops, councils, call centres, the dvla and even in customer service these days.

i have an ebay seller messing me about. spoke to him and paid now not answering his phone so just left message via ebay for him to call me as i have to collect it. thing is this is a company with a fancy website saying how good they are been in buisness 20 years and all that. if no contact soon it will be credit card chargeback time. i will name them later

I once had an eBay buyer contact me,saying Id sold him fake goods. So trawled through pages of feedback,to find item was purchased over 3 years before ! I simply replied stating he could easily have,substituted item for a fake within that time. Politely meaning feck off you bstard 🤣
Another time sold a laptop spares repair,went for £10 what an absolute arsehole he was. Started a dispute saying parts are missing,plus it wasn’t the model Id advertised.
Every day he messaged in capital letters,talking a load of crap. I replied each time Im awaiting for ebays response,this went on a whole week. I requested he sent photos of the serial number,thats when I caught him out he was stuffed.
It clearly said IBM model no etc,he backed down & ended the dispute. Then I mailed his personal email to say how much of a cnut he was 🤣 he went mental because it wasn’t through ebay.
Have had others loads of idiots on eBay,both buying & selling goods.

Back
Top Bottom