• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What vehicle to buy

Well the AC cobra is out along with all sports cars as I would not be able to get in or out with dignity and without looking like a sad old git.
Buying the next vehicle is incredibly time consuming and a little daunting (fear of buying a dog!).
It's to replace the Vauxhall Zafira daily or not so daily as I dont go out much but main journeys are trips to Harrogate to visit daughter 1 or Bristol to visit daughter 2 and the occassional shows and camping. Will also be required to carry the roof top tent and the occassional forray into Brexit land. Budget can be anything but probably should stick with my lifetime habit of never spending over £10,000 on a car (the Beast was an exception that broke the rule)
Daughter 1 has just bought a farmhouse on a hill outside Pateley Bridge and bought a Dacia Duster to cope with the access and winter conditions, so that is a possibility based on bangs for bucks but felt it was a bit plasticy trim wise. Friends who recently moved to the wilds of Wales bought a Skoda Yeti which people seem to rate but Im worried about my image, having banned all Skoda driving friends from parking on my drive in the past. But they are now in the frame. Standards can drop!
There was an article in the Land Rover International Magazine May 2023 on £5K heroes (Defender 2, 3, Frelander 2) which set me dreaming. Would love a Defender but finding a good one at a reasonable price might prove hard work, and realistically is it a daily drive or motorway gobbler (so to speak). Also do I go long or short. Would love a Disco 2. Saw a beautiful one kitted out for camping at the Pateley show last year. See pics below. But only seem to find high mileage and multiowner ones with dubious histories and probably requiring a lot of work. Am currently looking at Freelander 2s. Excited by a 2008 low mileage (18K) one listed on Johnsons 4X4 for £8K but then read the reviews of the company. There's a 2013 Freelander 2 near me for £6.5K and 86,000 miles on the clock. Which I may go and have a look at to start the process of having to kiss a lot of frogs. But it has black leather seats which I am not a lover of.
Tantalisingly my new neighbour has a 2006 Toyota Rav 4 which they have not used for over 9 months but my offer to buy has not produced any signs of a willingess to sell.
Then theres the question of buying private or a garage where I can throw the Zafira in to the mix otherwise I will have 5 cars on the drive.
Months pass and sadly I am not putting in either the time or effort to move forward so continue to dream.

IMG-20231001-WA0010.jpgIMG-20231001-WA0008.jpgIMG-20231001-WA0009.jpgIMG-20231001-WA0007.jpgIMG-20231001-WA0011.jpg

Ideas will, as always be welcome, but may be ignored when I go out and buy a Cherokee jeep
:eek: which SWMBO wants based on a trip we did in US a few years back .

20190804_062555.jpg

Everybody I have known that's had a Freelander 2 has been happy with it. My son had one for a while, but he needed more load space so left the fold and got a mitsubishi l200 which he's very happy with.

Ask @Geobloke what he thinks of his freebie, he's had it a few years.

My friend owns a garage, has had Landies all his life, and kept a D2 for about 12 months before he got shut of it. Just didn't like it...he's back to a defender, and, wait for it, an L200. I'd have a D2 if I could afford one, which I never will. My kind of vehicle comes in at about the £400 mark....🤣

Going to recommend the same as I recommended to Erebus, an older generation Nissan X-trail. Very similar to the Freelander 2 but considerably more internal space.
Getting a good one can be tricky as the rear sub frame can rust out. But it's the same sub frame as the newer models and seems to be reasonably well available. Good kit levels too in terms of technology. Kind of biased though, my parents have owned 5 X-trail since they came out in 2001.

Going to recommend the same as I recommended to Erebus, an older generation Nissan X-trail. Very similar to the Freelander 2 but considerably more internal space.
Getting a good one can be tricky as the rear sub frame can rust out. But it's the same sub frame as the newer models and seems to be reasonably well available. Good kit levels too in terms of technology. Kind of biased though, my parents have owned 5 X-trail since they came out in 2001.
I had an xtrail and it was excellent except it rusted to bits...had a shogun 3.2 diesel excellent as well till it blew up.
Got a ford Kuga 4wd now...Good car but far too electronic for me.

I had an xtrail and it was excellent except it rusted to bits...had a shogun 3.2 diesel excellent as well till it blew up.
Got a ford Kuga 4wd now...Good car but far too electronic for me.
Friends of my parents have a Kuga, they are actually on their second one. Their first one seemed a better car than their current one. It's had a few faults that needed fixed. Too much plastic trim up front for me. Feels like you're being swamped in it.

Friends of my parents have a Kuga, they are actually on their second one. Their first one seemed a better car than their current one. It's had a few faults that needed fixed. Too much plastic trim up front for me. Feels like you're being swamped in it.
I actually found there was more driver room in the vauxhall agila (a £300 car. Bloody expensive...) I got as a runabout than there was in the Kuga!

It's rather like a Focus on steroids . It's the diesel 2012 model and as long as the revs are kept north of 1500 it goes like stink. A lot of lag though below that.
Not bad all the same but rather keep the Defender 300tdi if I had to choose.

I actually found there was more driver room in the vauxhall agila (a £300 car. Bloody expensive...) I got as a runabout than there was in the Kuga!
Vauxhall agilla now you are talking, we had one, bright red, looked like Postman Pats van and everyone laughed at it but what a brilliant little car! Loads of room inside like the Tardis, done everything we wanted and never broke down.

i dont have a car thats too normal for me :D i find a van works for me i have two reggi vans,a 109,a reliant pick up,the ford F250 money pit and a few motorbikes :D i dont think i have a problem but others may i am looking to reduce my collectiion i have got a couple of bikes and my reliant for sale and will be selling my old van once the newer ones sorted

Vauxhall agilla now you are talking, we had one, bright red, looked like Postman Pats van and everyone laughed at it but what a brilliant little car! Loads of room inside like the Tardis, done everything we wanted and never broke down.
Ours was Kawasaki team green, the 1st model, 2000 plate. It had 18000 miles on it, had been an old dears, who went shopping in it once a week. She had traded it for a new Ford, and we haggled the ford dealer until we got the price right down from the £700 they wanted, then got them to put a new MOT and 4 new tyres on it. We ran it for several years, then our daughter had it. I think it had about 90000 on it when she let it go.

I've got one of these and use it for long journeys in France, family breaks and the like;

The mileage I get is incredible. Its sits in fifth at 110-130kph and sips fuel. I often wonder if the fuel gauge is faulty.

The load area is cavernous, even without flattening the rear seats.

I plan to keep it running as long as possible.

Buying cars is a pain in the arse. There is never anything that is exactly what I want. Or there is something I like, but they're a complete pile of crap.

Last time I was buying (2014), I'd sold my Subaru powered VW T3 Transporter (T25). I wanted something safer, that could tow, but wasn't a boaty SUV. Looked for ages!

Ended up buying a 2006 VW Touran 2.0 Petrol 7 seater and converting it with a complete drivetrain from an R32 Golf... so it's now a 3.2 VR6, 6 speed manual and 4motion 4WD :rofl: "Sensible Dad car". The got the Mrs another 2.0 Petrol Touran :D

I had a 1997 Suzuki Wagon R+ Turbo. It was predecessor model of the one the Agila was based on. It was the wide version of the 1st gen Wagon R but with the 1.0 K10A turbo.

I "upgraded from my Suzuki Cappuccino to this, because this was a "sensible family car" :D An ex laughed at it, while she was struggling to get her mountain buggy pram out of her 4.0 Ford Falcon boot. After she got it out, I opened my boot, promptly placed the buggy in on it's end and closed it. took seconds. That wound her up, Hahaha!
:cool:

I sold it to a friend and they taught their kids to drive in it and ran it for about 10 years and another 100,000 kms after me.

Attachments

• 32004_1478263234682_7463159_n.jpg
    32004_1478263234682_7463159_n.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 3
I've got one of these and use it for long journeys in France, family breaks and the like;

The mileage I get is incredible. Its sits in fifth at 110-130kph and sips fuel. I often wonder if the fuel gauge is faulty.

The load area is cavernous, even without flattening the rear seats.

I plan to keep it running as long as possible.
I abused one of those for 13 years just could not kill it. Bought it as an insurance write off at 3 years old repaired it and used it. Now have a 2012 Skoda superb estate great workhorse and 50 mpg plus on a run.

My daughter and 2 friends did the Mongol Rally in a Vauxhall Agilla when she was 20. It got there but I not sure she will ever speak to her fellow drivers again!
Mongolia car 2.JPG

Thanks. Lots of suggestions. I had 3 different volvos as company cars. Not sure I want another Estate although recognise their many plusses. I still have an itch fro another Landy to add to the collection.....

Back
Top Bottom