• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

How Do I? Winter Wheels

GregMcDonald

In Second Gear
I have just joined the forum today, as I wanted to understand why the winter wheels I used (and have kept) from my now-sold Discovery 5 (275/45 R21 V XL) cannot be used on my new (24MY) LWB Range Rover L460. The dealer said the bolts working differently on RR vs Disco, and also mentioned something about radii that I didn't being to understand either. Before I put my perfectly good winter wheel set up for sale on Bay or on here, now that I know about the forum, I'm keen to understand why there isn't a bolt conversion kit that I can buy to make use of my now-sold Discovery's winter wheels.

IMG_6198.jpeg

I am guessing the bolt pattern or maybe wheel offset is different on the newer Rangie, are the tyres the same size on the new one.
If you have to sell the winter tyres and wheels I would do it now, the best time with all the icy roads about.
I am a big fan of Continental winter contacts as well, they are the best.

I am guessing the bolt pattern or maybe wheel offset is different on the newer Rangie, are the tyres the same size on the new one.
If you have to sell the winter tyres and wheels I would do it now, the best time with all the icy roads about.
I am a big fan of Continental winter contacts as well, they are the best.

Yes, something to do with the way the bolts work, but I have seen bolt conversion packs on websites. Just not sure what they are and whether that’s what I need. I also have snow chains to fit those wheels and tyres - never used - so need to get on and sell them as soon as I find a definitive answer to my question. Thanks for replying.

Do they still let you put for sale notices for 2nd hand parts in Paddocks 'shop' @GregMcDonald ? You're not far away from them, as they are only up at the Cliffe in Matlock. Might be worth a visit, bit of a captive audience, like.

I wasn't aware you can't buy wheels and tyres from scrapyards anymore. I bought a pair of VW T4 wheels and tyres from an online breaker not long back. Admittedly I had to agree that the tyres were fubar, but it was the wheels I wanted anyway. And free carriage! Less total cost than it would have been to go to inversnakey where the nearest breakers is!

Do they still let you put for sale notices for 2nd hand parts in Paddocks 'shop' @GregMcDonald ? You're not far away from them, as they are only up at the Cliffe in Matlock. Might be worth a visit, bit of a captive audience, like.

I wasn't aware you can't buy wheels and tyres from scrapyards anymore. I bought a pair of VW T4 wheels and tyres from an online breaker not long back. Admittedly I had to agree that the tyres were fubar, but it was the wheels I wanted anyway. And free carriage! Less total cost than it would have been to go to inversnakey where the nearest breakers is!
Sorry. Only just seen this message. I don’t know Paddocks shop. There are plenty of wheels for sale on eBay so I’ll probably just sell them there…if I get round to it. Lack of motivation at the moment!

Sorry. Only just seen this message. I don’t know Paddocks shop. There are plenty of wheels for sale on eBay so I’ll probably just sell them there…if I get round to it. Lack of motivation at the moment!
Aha, in Matlock Bath, up on the Cliffe. Big supplier, AEW Paddocks....

Used to be able to put stuff on the notice board.

That being said, it's a while since I went in there....

The wheels have too wide a rim to fit, the L460 rims are 8.5J with an offset range of 41.5-45.5.. the L462 rims are 9.5J with an offset range of 47-51mm.

In short, they'll hit the wheelarch liners or worse, especially on the front, also unlikely to have clearance for them fitted with snowchains, even if on the rear only.
The sidewalls are also too short, so in addition to the speedo reading wrong, you'll get phantom ABS activity on corners, roundabouts etc.

I would caution against using wheel spacers, likely to invalidate your insurance and put your vehicle on the 'restricted warranty' register.

Back
Top Bottom