• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

How Do I? Wire/amps question?

toppa

Posting Guru
Looknig to buy some wire from VWP to wire some new plugs and tidy up some existing wiring, now i probly only really need 8.75 amp wire, recomended for general wiring, but i was wodering if i get the 17.5 amp wire which will handle the xtra amps for anything i may choose to wire, but would this be any disadvantage for the lower amperage equipment?

Cheers

what are you trying to re-wire Luke?

Now that would be telling, and would ruin my chances of the bling prise at the treasure hunt :)

Im wiring in some more din plugs befor i reline the rear of the truck, i use a powerfull plung in spot and fridge from them, i also have a 12v soldering iron i sometimes run from them,so though i would wire them all with the higher amperage wire, i was looking at the 50m roll of wire, so thought i would get the higest amperage that im likely to use....

(oh and another little thing or two, that will remain quite untill done and working properly ;) )

Cheers

It's a disco aint it tops!!?? or have you devised a way of fitting a 16th century country pub in the rear......now that would be good

W/V=A

W- Watts
V - Volts
A - Amps

Work out the max current (amps) you need to handle from the above simple sum (and it must me simple if I can understand it:rolleyes: ) and buy a cable of a high enough rating to suit:)

cheers, Tim

excess copper could double the long term value of your truck :)
thick wire might be more difficult to get into some tight corners, otherwise it shouldn't be a problem.

but i was wodering if i get the 17.5 amp wire which will handle the xtra amps for anything i may choose to wire, but would this be any disadvantage for the lower amperage equipment?
No electrical disadvantage. The wire will be more robust but will add more weight to the vehicle. Heavier gauge wire will be more efficient due to reduced electrical resistance.

Ensure wire gauge is within the specification of any crimp connectors to be used. Sensibly route all wiring with as much support as can be provided (eliminate conductor fatigue/fire hazard).

Use the 17.5 amp wire at a minimum. I've just checked and some of these DIN sockets are rated at 16 amp - some equipment must need 16 amps! What are the connectors rated as?

Jonathan Paton

Back
Top Bottom