• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

wiring up glow plugs??

macandrc

Accelerating Away
Can anyone tell me what if i can wire the heater cable in the loom straight onto the glow plugs or do i need to fit a resistor between the two? It is to fit a 19J TD engine.

second question is does anyone know where i can buy the overflow pipe link which the banjo bolt goes through into the fuel filter housing?

colin

Can anyone tell me what if i can wire the heater cable in the loom straight onto the glow plugs or do i need to fit a resistor between the two? It is to fit a 19J TD engine.

second question is does anyone know where i can buy the overflow pipe link which the banjo bolt goes through into the fuel filter housing?

colin

If you mean a relay (not resistor) then you definately need one. THe Tdi glow plug relay has about 7 connections IIRC and an internal timer that keeps the plugs hot for a period after the engine has started.

In reallity though you shouldn't need glow plugs in a tdi unless it is way in to the minus degrees C region.

Or you could wire them up like in my series, which has a standalone glow plug heater button on the dash should you need them. That goes through a BIG relay to protect the switch that used to get mighty hot after prolonged heating of the plugs!

As for the over flow pipe I am 100% positive you can buy it, not entirely sure which bit you want yet, but either Bernie or I will ahve a gander at a parts manual for you.

Nobber's just done this on his TD engine... He's made quite a tidy job of it too! give him a shout, I'm sure he'd be able to help.

cheers

yup , i used a 70 amp relay wired directly to the battery/glow plugs and switched on/off via a switch on the dash board.
pretty simple stuff.
go to the 'how do i do that' section and search for relay. its all in there.

it is a 19j td and not a tdi you have right?

dont be afraid to pm me if you need any more advice.

Nobber,

could see where the button for PM is so i will just send you a question through the link.

For the heaters, i am talking about a TD 19J but a little confussed as i am getting power tot he heater wire in the engine bay switched on via the ignition, does this mean that i should locate a relay atb this point or does this mean that i have already gone through a relay? I made the unwise decision of using a military wiring loom (because it was cheap) and as such i have wires coming out of my ears and i have to fit a 6-way light switch (dont have the wiring expertise to bypass it).

I too have fitted a new TD5 bulkhead, can you let me know what size copper pipe and fittings, etc you used for your clutch and brake pipes? can i use one of the cheap hand held flaring tools or do i need to get hold of a more expensive one?

thanks

colin

just saw your latest post Nobber, that would be great. the pipe flaring jkit i was talking about is from vehicle wiring products, will it be good enough ot do the clutch and brake pipes?

thanks

colin

hi Colin,
first thing you need to do is follow the glowplug wire on the very end (towords the bulkhead) of the engine and see what it connects to.
if it doesnt connect to a relay then im not sure what to advise apart from disconnect it and re wire the glow plug system through a relay as described above.
im really not very well informed about ex mod wiring harness's but you might want to ask in the military section.

i used a cheap flairing tool i got from maching mart and it worked ok although ive yet to fill and pressurise the system.
i used .9 mil (heavy duty) 3/16 copper pipe for the brakes and im not sure what was used for the clutch as i bought it pre made.

right to make things a little simpler, i have decided to ditch the military wiring loom and picked up a second hand 200tdi loom today. i will fit this tonight, only problem i could see when removing it was that the glow plug timer relay is not with the loom so i will need to set up something for this as you suggest nobber.

colin

you might need a 200tdi ignition switch as well although im sure someone can varify that.
the timer relays are pretty good and i was going to go down that road myself but at 25 quid a pop i decided not to.
im not sure about the wiring on a tdi but id assume you may have to still take a live feed from the battery and it will be switched by the ignition via the main harness.
this is all different water from the stuff floating my boat but im sure someone with a tdi can help with the wiring id for the relay.

colin i dont think you have your message thingy switched on, anyways , these are the bits i had to order to make the glow plugs work through a switch on the dash.

1 X R70 = RELAY 70 AMP. £5.23 (the one with the bracket or 'brkt')
3 METERS X 84R = CABLE 84/030 RED, £2.64
1 X FB9 = FEMALE BLADE 9.5 MM (TAKES 3-5MM CABLE) PACK OF TEN, £1.08
1 X FB66 (PACK OF TEN) = FEMALE BLADE 6.3MM £1.00
1 METER X HS9U = BLUE HEATSHRINK 9.5MM £0.82

after tax and postage it all came to £17.06 although you might have to buy a switch for your dash as i already had one.
you might also need a crimping tool to put the blades on but you can get these in most 'pound shop' type shops for buttons.
hope this helps.
Rob.

yeah you can do that......if your loom has the plug.....I've got a 200TDI so I can give you pics if you need them.

Wiring is not my strong point by the way;)

Yup you are correct i took a good look at the loom this lunch time and there is a brown wire that feeds directly from the starter, goes through the relay and then a white/yellow wire goes to the heater plugs.

i bought the relay today for £15, but in the meantime i will just put a direct wire tot he heaters to get it running.

thanks for all the help, i must get a picture or two on the site.

colin

Back
Top Bottom