• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Defender Rear Storage Boxes (For sale)

se7enup

Trekker
After a recent conversation with a friend of mine (who happens to own a fabrication company) we came up with a design for some storage boxes for the back of my Defender. These are designed to use all the available space above the rear wheel arches, while leaving the main load area untouched.
Yesterday morning I picked up the finished (prototype) boxes and am really chuffed with the results.
The boxes are of welded construction, made from galvanised steel and are supplied unfinished.
This way you can leave them in their galvanised steel finish, paint them or maybe get them powder coated.
We decided to make 2 sizes, a standard 900mm length for std Defenders and a shorter one (800mm) for use on the drivers side for Td5's (where the fuel filler is at the rear).

The best bit is, now that we have all the dimensions of the boxes programmed into his system, making more should be very straightforward.
As this is not his main business, the boxes will be produced on a batch basis.
I guess we would be looking for around 5/6 boxes per batch to make this worth his while.

Although my friend will obviously be covering his production costs, I'm not looking to make any profit from the boxes.
I will however donate a small percentage from the overall price of the boxes to help with the running costs of the lrukforums.com forum.

The boxes are provisionally priced at £45 each (for both the 900mm and the 800mm versions)
Custom length boxes will also be available (prices will need to be confirmed)
Delivery will be £10.50 (up to 2 boxes) for UK mainland only addresses

At the moment, I'm really just looking to see if there is any interest.
If so, I'll get a batch of boxes into production and hopefully take some orders.
I've attached a few photos of the prototype box to give you an idea of the size, construction and quality.

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,142
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,140
  • box3.jpg
    box3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,514
  • box4.jpg
    box4.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,134
  • box5.jpg
    box5.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,226
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be very interested in something along those lines, but front opening so that shallower boxes could be stacked on top ( a bit like the MSS drawers). I'd also need them to be a fair bit shorter to fit behind my second-row seating.

I'd be very interested in something along those lines, but front opening so that shallower boxes could be stacked on top ( a bit like the MSS drawers). I'd also need them to be a fair bit shorter to fit behind my second-row seating.

Ditto, they look well made, any chance of getting some to fit a station wagon?

Put me down for one as well :)

I reckon these will sell very well, considering how much the LR parts and accessory places want for similar things.

Ditto, they look well made, any chance of getting some to fit a station wagon?
It look quite a few attempts to get these ones spot on.
We were swapping cardboard templates on an almost daily basis for a while:)
That being the case, I'd like to see how it goes with these ones first.

Saying that, let me know how the station wagon ones would differ from the ones in the pics?

As for front opening, that's maybe something we can look into.
As I said, this is not my friends main business, we're hoping it can be something he can do in between "proper" work;)

It look quite a few attempts to get these ones spot on.
We were swapping cardboard templates on an almost daily basis for a while:)
That being the case, I'd like to see how it goes with these ones first.

Saying that, let me know how the station wagon ones would differ from the ones in the pics?

As for front opening, that's maybe something we can look into.
As I said, this is not my friends main business, we're hoping it can be something he can do in between "proper" work;)

Do they come with the bit of wood?:p

Andy.

I'd definitely be interested at that price.

Now get it on Dragons' Den, claim that you need some investment to 'bring the product to market' and give away 50% of your profits to a surly Scotsman for a paltry sum of money.

Well, that looks like 3 interested parties.
I think Cannonball Bob was interested too so it looks like we're getting close to the magic number :)

I'd definately be interested in a front opening model. What thickness of metal have you used? (thinking of putting a bed on top of one.)

To be totally honest, I'm not sure of the metal thickness (I'll find out tomorrow).
However, I can say for sure - they will easilly hold the weight of a bed.

I know this as yesterday I fitted my bed in the back of the 90 (these boxes were initially designed so that they would support my bed):)

I would be very interested in one of these for my 90.

The only snag I can see mounting them in such a way that they can be removed fairly quickly but working that out is part of the fun ;).

I would fall in to the 'custom size' camp as I need a box over the driver side part of the wheel box leaving me enough space for 1 jump seat on the driver side and 2 on the passenger side. If you start to offer custom lengths then count me in.

Power coated in a nice matt black would really look the business and a nice solid padlock would be so much better then my current 'sofa footrest' :eek: that lives in the back with ropes/ratchet ties etc.

These look spot-on - definitely interested in a 800mm one; count me in :D

I'll have a 900mm one as well as the 800mm having just looked at the amount of "absolutely essential" junk in the back of the 110 :eek:

If you could get them powder coated in black it would be fantastic.

We did discuss getting them powder coated, however, this would obviously add to the final price.
In the end we decided just to offer then in their "raw" steel finish.

I'm sure any local powder coating would be able to coat them in your desired colour - you could even colour code then to your truck:)

I'm going to let this thread run for the remainder of the week, then ask the people who expressed an interest for a confirmed order.
I'll then PM them with the payment details etc.
I'm going to be away for the week commencing the 15th (Doing the "short way up":D Scotland tour) so will collate all the paid-for orders when I get back and then get the boxes into production.

As for timescales, unfortunately I can't commit to any exact times. The boxes are going to be produced in between "proper" production runs in someone elses factory so the timimg is a bit out of my control.

Please bear this in mind before ordering if you need the boxes for a particular time/date.

I will however do my utmost to get them produced, packaged and shipped out as fast as is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure any local powder coating would be able to coat them in your desired colour - you could even colour code then to your truck:)

I'll second that, my local powder coating place was even able to match the obscure Tangiers Orange on my truck for some odd parts. I vote for letting people get it done locally, I can't see that it would be much more then £40'ish with a decent undercoat and several top coats and at the end of the day, the beauty of these small run things over mainstream is the ability to really bespoke things.

Failing that, Hammerrite the box, it's going in a Landy after all ;).

Back
Top Bottom