• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Muscle Cramp.

Holy cow! Sorry about the grinder thing... glad to hear you're alright. šŸ˜¬

Regarding the leg cramps: I had my Thyroid taken out around 15 years ago and when they did it they buggered up my Parathyroid glands - the ones that regulate the calcium in your bloodstream. I quickly found out that calcium is super important! When you get low on it your muscles tighten up and cramp something awful. For muscle cramps I highly recommend calcium supplements. Drink some milk or take a 500mg calcium tablet and I'll bet your cramps lessen within half an hour. Yes magnesium is good but only because it helps with calcium absorption. Take some calcium!

My dad had an overactive thyroid, he was in his late 50's when suddenly he started losing weight, rapidly. They thought he had cancer.. Hospital did dozens of tests and scans before diagnosing the thyroid. He had to have a dose of something radioactive, which he had to drink through a three foot king straw! I 'think' it might have been radioactive iodine?

Anyway all seemed well until Chernobyl went bang, the govt warned us we mustn't drink rain water, which was our main supply at the time, and it knocked his balance off again. So he was then on thyroxine for life.

Mother had an under active thyroid. I'm kind of hoping I landed in the middle range! šŸ¤£

My dad had an overactive thyroid, he was in his late 50's when suddenly he started losing weight, rapidly. They thought he had cancer.. Hospital did dozens of tests and scans before diagnosing the thyroid. He had to have a dose of something radioactive, which he had to drink through a three foot king straw! I 'think' it might have been radioactive iodine?

Anyway all seemed well until Chernobyl went bang, the govt warned us we mustn't drink rain water, which was our main supply at the time, and it knocked his balance off again. So he was then on thyroxine for life.

Mother had an under active thyroid. I'm kind of hoping I landed in the middle range! šŸ¤£
It was radioactive iodine. Iodine attracts to thyroid tissue so they use it to detect if there is any tissue left in there which could still be cancerous. That's crazy about the Chernobyl thing, I could see how that would mess with the radioactive iodine tests.
I was diagnosed with a thyroid tumor so they removed the whole thing and I've been on replacement thyroid hormones ever since. That part isn't too hard to regulate but the dealing with blood calcium levels has been a touch challenging. Over time these things get figured out and we carry on. Life is an adventure. šŸ˜
That being said I do know a thing or two about calcium in the bloodstream. Low calcium makes for cramped muscles as does high calcium. There's a happy medium in there somewhere but most folks are on the low side. Vitamin D and magnesium help the body to absorb calcium. I think most people would benefit from a daily vitamin D and 500mg of calcium.
Anyway... calcium rant over! Haha!

I've just bought some magnesium supplements, might help muscles around my knees. I get cramps after a couple of hours cycling,it's not the joint it's muscle & ligament related.

Back
Top Bottom