• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Muscle Cramp.

Anybody got a go to cure for cramp? I've always had cramp problems in my left leg, from my late teens.

I fell off a set of steps about 14 months ago, and tweaked my back. I have been getting sciatica since, and a lot more cramp. It's getting beyond the joke now

Doc says exercise...the more I do the worse the cramp gets.

Have added extra vitamins and minerals into the diet....

What else can I do? Or take ...?
Interesting that ..I get cramp or what feels like it in my left leg but not the right one ..only when I drive which is all day at work ..so magnesium is good I will try that ā€¦I wonder why just the left one .

Yeah, always my left leg. I also have problems with ankle articulation, don't have the full range of movement, got about 30Ā°... makes covering the brake pedal when riding quite interesting, and always used to have a socket set in the tractors to lift my foot a couple inches to make the accelerator pedal easier.

I dunno...the more I write the more depressing it gets. šŸ¤£

Yeah, always my left leg. I also have problems with ankle articulation, don't have the full range of movement, got about 30Ā°... makes covering the brake pedal when riding quite interesting, and always used to have a socket set in the tractors to lift my foot a couple inches to make the accelerator pedal easier.

I dunno...the more I write the more depressing it gets. šŸ¤£
No more questions I donā€™t want you to do yourself in on my behalf šŸ¤

Doc gave me codeine, paracetamol , Lansprazole to stop gastritus whilst taking naproxn, for my siatica which like yours was painful driving ,walking even just sitting on the chair which now has stopped for now I also used a leg band pulling out sideways from the other leg and hands on hips stretching the back ie leaning it backwards. I also use cod liver oil capsules twice a day.
Hope you can shake it off soon.
Excuse the spelling now I know why doctors scribble the perscriptions :whistle:

Hi sandy

Sorry to also hear of the cramps and siatica as indeed very painful

Iā€™ve found a hot water bottle is very effective , place a tea towel around it first as ur be able to leave it on the cramp areas and ur lower back

Assume itā€™s the lower part of ur. Back Ref L4-5 , indeed suffered with that for a long time until my back was fused

Hope Iā€™m not being rude but plse stay away from any surgery as I ended up not being able to walk for a year , unless the slip disc gets too bad

Things like a warm bath , water bottle , u can also get heat pads that u put in the microwave is another trick

Hope that helps u and ur able to get some pain relief

It's always annoying, this vicious circle. You get a problem, you go to the MO, he gives you tablet A. Tablet A gives you indigestion, so he adds tablet B. B is causing a deficiency, so he adds tablet C....and on it goes.

@gstuart yes, definitely going to be avoiding surgery. They wanted to operate on my hand in 2020, but I didn't really want them to, then COVID struck and they cancelled hassling me. Then, mid COVID "come on in and get this done". Now the hospital is 100 miles away, and I wasn't supposed to drive. So I ask how I'm supposed to get there...."on the bus". Mid COVID mind .. the other point of note is the closest bus stop is 20 miles away. When I questioned how that was going to work the consultant lost it and took me off his surgery list! šŸ¤£

Re cramps, been having those too, at night sometimes excruciating, the whole muscle cramps solid, can only get relief by finding the trigger points and massaging them. (Not starting a conspiracy thread but I'm sure the cramps have got worse since having covid and/or the vax????!)
Like others I have found daily magnesium maleate definitely helps.

As for back pain, I have life long sciatica from a ruptured lumbar disc (L4/5) in my early 20s. Started to get really bad last year, making walking & sitting painful with numbness and pins and needles. GP gave me Naproxen (made me sick) then omeprazole to counter the Naproxen (has cardiac side effects) so gave up on those.

Interesting. I'll give that a shot. I saw some exercises on an NHS website, which involved folding one leg over the other and pulling (best way I can describe it) but I'd have to be a contortionist or a Chinese acrobat! I did try....I bet it would be funny to watch.

Saw a physio who recommended the exercise that @Big Sandy mentions - 'Thread the needle' yoga stretch for Glute Max, Hip Flexors, Lower Back.
I do it every morning and most nights before bed and it works for me, relieves the pressure and loosens the lumbar region. Worth a try. My issue is the vertebra has twisted and pulls on the piriformis muscle through which the sciatic nerve passes so keep this area supple is key for me, others might have different causes.
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 09.40.46.png

If I had a body like that.....well, I wouldn't be Big Sandy, would I? šŸ¤£

That's exactly the exercise I saw @cappers

I'm inclined to agree re the COVID jab, the first one crippled me for a week, within an hour and a half of the jab.

Just for @Paul d dare I mention I have scoliosis as well? šŸ˜

I've had a few injuries to the back, dislocated shoulder, neck injuries, whiplash.... Add that to regularly spending the day in wet clothes, working in sub zero temperatures a lot, heavy work at that. .. I guess my old bones are feeling it now! šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Well, the day went south quickly. Involving ambulance and helimed.... Guess who cut through his LEFT (again) leg with the angle grinder. Missed out in the helicopter ride as I shut it down quick and kept the pressure on, but here I am wondering how I get home again....

Still, no vehicle job is complete without a blood sacrifice, eh?

Oh mate Iā€™m really sorry to hear that , came out in a cold sweat as soon as u mentioned helimed

So relieved ur ok , of course not having a leg to stand on , too soon , lol

Where about are u mate as happy to collect u if ur stuck for a ride if ur near me

Them grinders donā€™t half get u quick , nearly cut my left finger off twice and the thing is u donā€™t realise itā€™s happened until u think where on earth is that blood coming from

Once again good to hear ur ok under the circumstances

Well, the day went south quickly. Involving ambulance and helimed.... Guess who cut through his LEFT (again) leg with the angle grinder. Missed out in the helicopter ride as I shut it down quick and kept the pressure on, but here I am wondering how I get home again....

Still, no vehicle job is complete without a blood sacrifice, eh?
Hope that isn't to bad sandy... Did the thing kick back whilst using itšŸ¤”

Damned hand decided to let go (it's done that trick for years) and if course it's an old skool grinder, stays on when you let go. Nice clean cut though....doc wouldn't let me take a photo of the inside! šŸ¤£

Irony time, today I are wearing a tee shirt that says "I am currently unsupervised. I know, it scares me too, but the possibilities are endless..."

Not quite what I had in mind!

Can't fault the ambo crews, very professional and helpful. They helped put Mrs BS at ease too, which at the time was no mean feat.

U talking about kickback reminds me of a guy years ago on a building site that had taped the broken switch on a 9ā€ grinder , the guard had also been removed , he was standing over it talking to someone else and his mate plugged it into the mains

Somehow The grinder jumped up and caught the guy right between his legs which lead him to nearly lose his tackle , unfortunately he was never able to perform and his wife at the time left him , last I heard with more advanced medicine procedures they managed to repair a lot of the damage and re married

Last edited:
Talking of grinders I like the Milwaukee ones but Iā€™ve been looking at are kielder , but would only get a 4ā€ one,

Do also have a long neck 2ā€ angle grinder where u can fit thin cutting discs or flapper sanding discs which Iā€™ve found perfect for smaller jobs

Useto use the much larger petrol angle grinders at work , think the health and safety officer would have lost his mind seeing me up a ladder cutting a cast iron soil stack, lol

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpeg
    IMG_0773.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom