• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

To India and Beyond....

On our way into Yerevan almost two weeks ago we stumbled across a workshop at the end of a no through road, a workshop with Range Rovers, Discoveries and sundry US and Jap wannabes parked in the courtyard.

Today I took Lancelot there and on Monday a TD5 familiar mechanic will take a look at the clutch issue (the fluid will be changed for a start), check the brakes for me and a few other things which I am not equipped to do. The first thing the master mechanic said to me after explaining the issues to him was “ …the cheapest and first action to take is”! He needs to go to mechanic school and be reassessed on his communication with the public; no sucking of teeth and very helpful - perhaps the state of the engine (immaculate) and the scars on my forearms from repairing the FPR told him he was not dealing with a complete idiot….either way a thumbs up for a local mechanic.

I will post details here should anybody else come this way.

They also have an original LR clutch assembly on the shelf if required and told me where to find the cleanest diesel in the country. Almost all diesel here being of poor quality.

Another mechanic patted Lancelot and said “best vehicle in the world” Lancelot was glowing!

Following the thoroughly edifying visit to the workshop we continued our weekend as Culture Vultures!

The Yerevan opera house, built circa 1930 to strict Soviet specifications yet designed by Armenian Alexander Tamanian, is not a beautiful building, it is little too austere and grey for that, however, it is marvellous example of 1930s utilitarian architecture "for the enjoyment of culture by the masses".

Attachments

• yerevan-opera-house-e1493208123441-744879824.jpg
    yerevan-opera-house-e1493208123441-744879824.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 13
The building comprises two separate venues, the Spendiyarian ballet and national theatre seating 1200 people and the Katchaturian concert hall with room for 1400. Both venues are quite amazing; Armenians outside might be sporting Gucci and driving muscle cars but inside everything is as it was fitted when the building opened for business in 1933, from the curtains to the carpets and it is in remarkably good condition!

On Saturday we were privileged to see the last performance of Spartacus by Katchaturian, with the choreography by 97 year old Artist of The Soviet Union Yuri Grigorovich, quite fantastic. Now, I ma not a great ballet fan - I fell asleep at my first and not only because I had spent two weeks on the ranges at Sennybridge prior to, it may have also had something to do with the fact that the bloody swan would not die!

Spartacus was something else. Katchaturian's score is marvellous, the set could not be bettered and the dancers were on top form. You have to laugh at a grown man in tights flinging himself in the air and twisting, but the music brings you back to the story and real respect grows within you for the skills, talent and hours of rehearsals that make such a production stand out. It was one of the best things I have ever had the pleasure of watching and I have been around the bins a bit! Even the intermission warm ups by the musicians were phenomenal and sitting at the very front we could see the whites of their eyes.

There were two intervals and during the first interval we went to the atrium and had sparkling wine, a sandwich and a cake for £6...tickets for the performance were a mere £12 each. If you fancy great value live entertainment hop over to Yerevan.

On Sunday night we returned to the same theatre, this time the orchestra pit was raised and being in the front row we witnessed every movement as they played Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. Wow! The orchestra was not full of young things with perfect hair; the conductor, a relatively young, chunky bearded man threw himself around the podium like a penguin on acid and was a joy to watch too! The nods which passed between the sixty something lead violinist and the lead Cellist acknowledging a job well done said it all. Again, we were privileged and as an interesting footnote the performance was the night before the 200th anniversary of the symphony's first performance.

Monday at the workshop was brilliant too! I learned a huge amount - not least a great deal of clutch and transmission diagnosis; the fault on Lancelot has been solved. The clutch cable adjustment locking nuts were not fitted and adjusted correctly when the master cylinder was replaced by the previous owner, hence the travel of the clutch pedal was insufficient to operate the clutch correctly. The fluid was not too bad, but replaced and the system bled anyway. I found a fault with the rear left light and was given a new unit and bulb, replaced in five minutes.

The suspension is good and the front brakes need replacing in approximately 5000km - front left is sticking a little, hence some squeaking when under real stress on the corners in the mountains. Using the pit I was also able to grease the Universal Joints, check the chassis and the lubes in the various boxes - all good; full and amber in colour. The diagnostic box showed a possible fault in the air system, which might be the MAP/MAF sensors as he is running well. One to check.

Sarsun, the master spanner man liked the engine condition and Lancelot's general state although when giving him the once over and showing four other nut stranglers the intricacies of a TD5 engine he pointed out the tiny oil leak from the windscreen-side of the cylinder head, around the corner from the FPR. He saw this last week and thought hat the slow-drip might be affecting the transmission...so he had the head off, cleaned it and replaced the gasket, with the assistance of his eighty year old father who is the living reason of why he got into mechanics in the first place. As Sarsun was cleaning the leaked oil residue from the from the head his father was polishing the engine and the bolts! Fag in mouth, just like Wilfred Bramble as Steptoe!

Any guesses on how much parts and five hours of labour cost? You will never get it......

£49.50 at today's exchange rate. I was amazed, correction, I am still amazed. The parts for the light were free and I spent four hours yesterday receiving free instruction on another TD5 (not as beautiful as Lancelot and a little older). I removed the clutch, gearbox and power take offs/drive shafts. Tomorrow I fit a new gearbox and replace the clutch. Those bloody circlips...designed to thwart big fingers.

Of course, the reversing light is connected to the gearbox isn't it? Learning by doing ;) Did Land Rover use child labour? It defeats me how a man's hand is supposed to get to some of the bolts and fittings inside a TD5!

This beast was waiting outside the adjacent workshop. Range Rover spares are very cheap here, not to mention in plentiful supply. (As told by the mechanic who assisted me).

Attachments

• IMG_6298.jpeg
    IMG_6298.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6299.jpeg
    IMG_6299.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 13
And…..The Chief’s picture of the Cascade (rebuilt with a 168 million dollar donation from one benefactor overseen by a British architect and engineer), at the top, in the dead ground it remains incomplete…

Attachments

• IMG_6231.jpeg
    IMG_6231.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6196.jpeg
    IMG_6196.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 11
You have definitely dropped onto a good garage there. It's great that they have found and sorted your concerns and done some planned maintenance on the head. To be able to a get a further day of practice on someone else's vehicle is a bonus!
@peaklander agreed, and when one is a “staff learner” it is always useful to ask for advice before unscrewing, the Haynes manual notwithstanding!

The mechanic is very like a Tiffy sergeant who supported us in the desert, loved his job, enjoyed teaching and full of useful tips and anecdotes. 😜🇬🇧

Today, the 9th May is both Victory and Memorial Day. 🇦🇲 The marchers wearing t-shirts of war dead from the recent conflicts with Azerbaijan passed by a moment ago; the flag is 200 metres long!

That’s Greater Ararat, in Turkish territory since 1923 and the treaty of Moscow - Kars.

Attachments

• IMG_6320.jpeg
    IMG_6320.jpeg
    561 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6318.jpeg
    IMG_6318.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 6
Thanks .. what was the problem with the rear light unit ..? is that the side that has been a right royal pain in the rear ...for what seems like decades ....
As @Redcoat once wrote to me, credit where credit is due.

The rear light. On close inspection the bulb had been inserted incorrectly - as you know it's an off-set bayonet attachment. An some point in the past the bulb had been fitted with the bayonets in the wrong side, creating an ineffective circuit, which worked sometimes and not at others. The bulb was forced so strongly that a new channel was scored on the inside, making it hard to see the poor and erroneous fitting.

When I unscrewed the fitting in the workshop on Monday the bulb was blown - black and the edge of the plastic distorted from heat! Is it possible that this little perisher has caused the lights-on - lights-off issue? Either way, the rear lights, brakes included, now function as they should. ;)

Back
Top Bottom