• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

110 Hard Top Conversion

Ever had one of those days when you wish you hadn't bothered?
When to fit my new aerial today. Been guarding a tiny plastic cup washer for a fortnight and 5 minutes before fitting I lost it. Just after I'd cleaned up rubbish - so could be in the trash, fallen into the engine bay or rolled off onto the floor somewhere. Gave up looking after 30 mins. It's black and 1/4" so could be anywhere.
Sprayed the new wheel arches - checked later - got bits in the finish. Now got to rub them down and start again.
Started getting ready to fit the aux fuel tank - got something missing - abandoned that job for the day.
Came home :fedup:

This was the rear door being dismantled.
2.jpeg

Just some edge rust to remove and treat. Not bad enough to need welding or replacing. Superficial really.
IMG_2506.jpeg

IMG_2508.jpeg

Almost no rust to the outside skin. Just the odd mark. Sanded back and removed prior to etch, prime, base and clear coats.
IMG_2878.jpeg

Before painting I etched, primed, sealed and primed again the larger shallow holes between inner and outer skins. Trying to get rid of anything which will cause vibration, resonance, knocking and noise.
IMG_2522.jpeg

Did a bit of work on it today (not time for much - I'm fighting our Council on a £55K increase in business rate - enough to force closure - they are going to get a shock when they find out I've found a way of getting it to zero - thieving B*****d's).
Got the back door fitted. All lined up - going to look good. Decided to buy new rubbers. Ordered these plus the loom for the new heated window. I need to dig out the handle, lock and door stay and get this fitted now.
My new NAS step bumper is lying underneath. Bit of a shock - it doesn't fit! The two prongs that slide into the jacking points on the X-member don't line up. Out by about 3mm on each side. I'm going to have to grind one side flat on each prong for them to slide into the holes. Then I'll need to prime and repaint before fitting. Bit annoyed, but so far nothing has lined up properly and a lot of what I've fitted so far has had been modified.
IMG_3375.jpeg

Noise and sound insulation has begun on the door. As elsewhere I've added bitumen based sound deadening matting and acoustic foam and sealed joints. I'll wait until wiring and fittings are finished before completing this to make sure the rest of the insulation doesn't foul any moving parts and get in the way or threading cables.
IMG_3370.jpeg

Started getting some of the new parts out of storage today ready for fitting.
Rock Sliders
IMG_3381.jpeg

Front winch bumper - got a couple of mods I'll be doing on this before it is fitted.
IMG_3380.jpeg

New wheel arches sprayed satin black to match other exterior fittings. Got a slight blemish on one to repair before they get their final coat.
IMG_3377.jpeg

Auxiliary Fuel Tank
IMG_3256.jpeg

The bonnet catch assembly was a bit of a mess. Lots of rust. All surface rust though - nothing terminal.
IMG_3261.jpeg

Cleaned the whole thing back to bare metal
IMG_3260.jpeg

IMG_3267.jpeg

Drilled the rivets and removed the old cable guard and fitted the extended guard to add security. Here is the new one in place and the old one next to it.
IMG_3310.jpeg

I had a couple of bits of crinkled paint finish which I wasn't happy with so I sanded back again, panel wiped and etch primed. You can see the longer bonnet cable guard. In the 2nd primed photo you can see how this uses the existing rivet holes
IMG_3311.jpeg

IMG_3312.jpeg

And then resprayed satin black to match other fittings. Ready to refit now.
IMG_3362.jpeg

I while ago when I dismantled the front doors. I took loads of photo's to help me put them back together again. But it's been a long time now - going to be a bit of a jigsaw. The outer doors were ok'ish. Both had some rust lower down and you can see in this photo (bottom right) part of the frame had rotted away around the hinge area.
IMG_2378.jpeg

Both doors were repairable but due to the delays I've had in getting round to this rebuild I decided to buy new to save time. I'll sell the old ones on when I get round to it as they are still in quite good nick. Got lots of parts to sell on now.
The inner skins were still good with easy to deal with surface rust on some corners and a couple of fixing points. I kept these to move across to the new doors.
IMG_2376.jpeg

Note: these were for manual wind windows. I have bought electric mechanisms. The original inner skins will need modification because of this. For now I've stripped them back to bare, etched, primed and sprayed these skins. They will be on and off a couple of times during fitting to measure and cut out a section for the electric mechanism before sprayed again so there is no new bare metal to corrode.
Here they are waiting for fitting.
View attachment 310955
The new door cards (no handle hole were sent to my upholsterer to be matched with the rest of the new cabin upholstery.
Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 22.25.05.png

The new front doors arrived in good nick but with a very heavy primer coat - to the point where there was a lot of 'orange peel' finish. We sanded the doors back and panel wiped them before respray. If you zoom in on the 2nd photo you can clearly see the orange peel finish to the primer.
IMG_2874.jpeg

IMG_2875.jpeg

Here they are in base coat
IMG_2884.jpeg
IMG_2883.jpeg

And with clear coat
IMG_2896.jpeg

IMG_2935.jpeg

Last one tonight. Everyone names their Land Rover. I've done the same. The name has been sprayed onto the front doors in small letters just under the door mirrors - Santorini Black on Carpathian Grey. Very subtle and most won't even notice it. The name I picked is of a norse god, so I had the signwriter we use for other work make up paint masks in Old English Runes and the spelling is an earlier version of the name. Here is the door masked up with paint mask in place. You can see the door surface exposed ready for the lettering to be sprayed on.
IMG_2886.jpeg

And here sprayed with the mask still in place
IMG_2887.jpeg

Finished. All masking removed.
IMG_2936.jpeg

Fancy having a guess at the name and its meaning?

Last edited:
Last one tonight. Everyone names their Land Rover. I've done the same. The name has been sprayed onto the front doors in small letters just under the door mirrors - Santorini Black on Carpathian Grey. Very subtle and most won't even notice it. The name I picked is of a norse god, so I had the signwriter we use for other work make up paint masks in Old English Runes and the spelling is an earlier version of the name. Here is the door masked up with paint mask in place. You can see the door surface exposed ready for the lettering to be sprayed on.
View attachment 310981
And here sprayed with the mask still in place
View attachment 310982
Finished. All masking removed.
View attachment 310983
Fancy having a guess at the name and its meaning?
God of Love Battle and Death ……maybe .🤔

love the build your doing ..

God of Love Battle and Death ……maybe .🤔

love the build your doing ..
Thank you.
Nice try with the name - 😂😂😂 Nothing so grim though.
Freyja. It means 'Lady' in Norse.
Wanted it to be a bit different and I'm hoping this will be quite an elegant restoration/conversion when it is finished - as much as a square brick can be!

Bit of progress today - amazing how work keeps getting in the way.
Fitted the new window blocks. The new bolts from Optimill were a bit long - came supplied with a single washer plus split washer per bolt - it's taken three washers plus the split washer to pull them in tight. Look good once fitted though.
IMG_3430.jpeg

Next I got the rubber fitted ready to put the rear door glass in. Just could not fit the glass. Really tight - used cord and lubrication, but just wouldn't go. Stopped before I damaged the rubber. Ringing a windscreen fitting company tomorrow. I'd rather pay and have a decent job done than me swear at the car for an hour and damage the finish. They can do the front windscreen at the same time.
Moved on to fit the new rear handle and lock. Bearmach part. Looks good - but why not include nuts and the plastic lock surround?
IMG_3431.jpeg
A bit miserly I thought. I'll check tomorrow, but if the old lock surround isn't good enough to match this finish I'll need to source a new one. Also need to buy new nuts now.
New parts arrived today including the loom for the rear window heater - will sort through them at the weekend. I want to get the rear door fittings finished so I can complete insulation and fit the trim.
Also the high level brake light surround has now been sprayed to match the body colour. It arrived as dull black plastic - it's now carpathian grey and will blend in with the bodywork. I just know fitting this is going to be a pig - threading the cables through the cavity around the window isn't going to be easy. Think a swear box might be in order over the weekend, or a very heavy dose of patience :rolleyes:.

Good day today. Cleaned up the workshop area and got all my tools back where I could find them.
Fitted the roof ventilation. This sits above where the fridge freezer is to be located. Also provides additional ventilation if we ever sleep inside.
Here it is in place - siliconed joint to prevent water leaks. I sealed the insect screen to the casing - wasn't happy with it being loose and letting creepy crawlies in around the edges.
IMG_3433.jpeg

Bolted down tight - good seal around the edges.
IMG_3434.jpeg

Excess silicon removed.
IMG_3435.jpeg

This is a Vetus Marine Vent. Can be wound open or shut from inside. Cowl in place.
IMG_3438.jpeg

Finished. Will proved ventilation but is low enough not to interfere with the roof rack being fitted above.
IMG_3439.jpeg

Really admiring the quality of your work, its going to look very nice. I'm following your progress out of interest as I drive a 109 that I converted into a camper. Its an ongoing conversion now in its 8th year. Mine sleeps 2 and this is always myself and my son, who keeps getting bigger and has necessitated 3 re-designs! Last year we did 21 nights away, all in the UK. If I may share some hard won advice about the camper part:
Do a few trips early on to see how things work and get the layout right. We found a lot of ideas were unworkable or too much faff. Our early trips would take 1 1/2 hours from park up to ready for bed, we've got that down to about 30 mins but its taken a lot of work and we are on our 4th bed set up. I have a pile of failed ideas.
Be honest about the trips you will actually make. We do 3-4 night trips in England. Even our wildest trips seem to end up in sight of a convenience store. We were setting off loaded for a trip across the Sahara and bringing home 99% of what we had taken. I have no idea why I thought we needed so much water, we now set off with 4 ltrs (water is heavy) and fill up as we go, worst case a big bottle of water for £1. The weight saving probably pays for it in fuel economy.
We took way to much food, we now have enough UHT milk and some pan-o-cholat ready for one breakfast and some tins for an emergency. We belong to Britstops and stay in pub car-parks and fields when we can. One of the pleasures is eating in the pubs so we almost never cook. A way to make morning coffee is (for me) essential and we carry enough to do that quickly but the camp stove is hardly ever used. After 7 years we got a fridge, but that was because of the heatwave and we wanted ice cream and cold drinks. Its de-mountabel and will stay in the house until the weather is hot. Fridges use power and take a lot of space. The cooking kit is also de-mountable and only goes in if we think we will cook.
Space is a premium. Someone once described my Land Rover camper as "Tetris camping" as everything has to be in exactly the right place. When everyone's out, get in it and practice getting dressed and undressed, washing and using the loo. I did and got a rude awakening, so many of my ideas were useless. Don't be temped to put anything inside anything else. Packing things inside the kettle seemed cleverly space saving until I needed a coffee early morning and it all got stuck inside.
We use rucksacks as storage, hang them up when driving and then take them with us when we are walking. A big box has turned out to be very handy, its where everything with no home goes and if its dry we put it outside until bed time.
Beds - arrgh, our biggest nightmare and really important. You've got to be able to get your bed set up, clothes changed and into bed in the rain and be dry. I used to have the bedding in a roof top box over the cab, until I had to climb up in a storm in the dark. Now we set off with the bedding on the beds and squashed down. Being able to stand to dress and wash really helps so think about how you can do that and stay dry.
Rubbish is another pain. We are buying as we go and most everything is in plastic packaging so we soon fill up with rubbish. We hang a plastic bag up and put it in the bin at a filling station. For the same reason we have now changed our toilet for one designed to be easily emptied into a public toilet. We carry one chemical dose and buy a 2 ltr bottle to fill. In a heat wave you may need to do this after 3 days.
The diesel heater is your friend. You can keep warm and most importantly get dry. So get the biggest leisure battery, split charge and solar that you can. We are on our 3 rd leisure battery and solar set up. Carry a portable CO alarm.
Don't let me create problems, we have had huge fun and will be hitting the road again soon. During lock-down I think our trips kept us sane and we could spend a day on the beach when all the toilets and changing rooms were locked. Waking up to a view like this (£10 to park overnight) is priceless.
20210721_084837_resized.jpg

Really admiring the quality of your work, its going to look very nice. I'm following your progress out of interest as I drive a 109 that I converted into a camper. Its an ongoing conversion now in its 8th year. Mine sleeps 2 and this is always myself and my son, who keeps getting bigger and has necessitated 3 re-designs! Last year we did 21 nights away, all in the UK. If I may share some hard won advice about the camper part:
Do a few trips early on to see how things work and get the layout right. We found a lot of ideas were unworkable or too much faff. Our early trips would take 1 1/2 hours from park up to ready for bed, we've got that down to about 30 mins but its taken a lot of work and we are on our 4th bed set up. I have a pile of failed ideas.
Be honest about the trips you will actually make. We do 3-4 night trips in England. Even our wildest trips seem to end up in sight of a convenience store. We were setting off loaded for a trip across the Sahara and bringing home 99% of what we had taken. I have no idea why I thought we needed so much water, we now set off with 4 ltrs (water is heavy) and fill up as we go, worst case a big bottle of water for £1. The weight saving probably pays for it in fuel economy.
We took way to much food, we now have enough UHT milk and some pan-o-cholat ready for one breakfast and some tins for an emergency. We belong to Britstops and stay in pub car-parks and fields when we can. One of the pleasures is eating in the pubs so we almost never cook. A way to make morning coffee is (for me) essential and we carry enough to do that quickly but the camp stove is hardly ever used. After 7 years we got a fridge, but that was because of the heatwave and we wanted ice cream and cold drinks. Its de-mountabel and will stay in the house until the weather is hot. Fridges use power and take a lot of space. The cooking kit is also de-mountable and only goes in if we think we will cook.
Space is a premium. Someone once described my Land Rover camper as "Tetris camping" as everything has to be in exactly the right place. When everyone's out, get in it and practice getting dressed and undressed, washing and using the loo. I did and got a rude awakening, so many of my ideas were useless. Don't be temped to put anything inside anything else. Packing things inside the kettle seemed cleverly space saving until I needed a coffee early morning and it all got stuck inside.
We use rucksacks as storage, hang them up when driving and then take them with us when we are walking. A big box has turned out to be very handy, its where everything with no home goes and if its dry we put it outside until bed time.
Beds - arrgh, our biggest nightmare and really important. You've got to be able to get your bed set up, clothes changed and into bed in the rain and be dry. I used to have the bedding in a roof top box over the cab, until I had to climb up in a storm in the dark. Now we set off with the bedding on the beds and squashed down. Being able to stand to dress and wash really helps so think about how you can do that and stay dry.
Rubbish is another pain. We are buying as we go and most everything is in plastic packaging so we soon fill up with rubbish. We hang a plastic bag up and put it in the bin at a filling station. For the same reason we have now changed our toilet for one designed to be easily emptied into a public toilet. We carry one chemical dose and buy a 2 ltr bottle to fill. In a heat wave you may need to do this after 3 days.
The diesel heater is your friend. You can keep warm and most importantly get dry. So get the biggest leisure battery, split charge and solar that you can. We are on our 3 rd leisure battery and solar set up. Carry a portable CO alarm.
Don't let me create problems, we have had huge fun and will be hitting the road again soon. During lock-down I think our trips kept us sane and we could spend a day on the beach when all the toilets and changing rooms were locked. Waking up to a view like this (£10 to park overnight) is priceless.
View attachment 312263
Cool write up Rob tells you just about everything you need to know .love your set up 👍 all about trial and error in the end you get to what suits you and is the most convenient.
And precious time with the boy 🙂

Top advice from @robwlondon My 110 has been a camper for 13 years I think I'm on internal redesign 4 or 5. Trial and error but I always end up back at having a permanent bed for 1 or having it ready in less than 5 mins from parking up. My overall goal has always been to parkup and do everything I need to without ever getting out. As for taking too much stuff I'm always guilty of that. Water being a big one!

View attachment 312263
HI Rob,
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. I agree with the Tetris Camping comment. Everything needs its own dedicated space. I haven't gone into too much detail yet about how the inside will be planned. Was going to do that as the internal fit-out starts. I will say that everything in storage bins and lockers will have its own dedicated space (we won't be stuffing spare socks into the kettle). For example storage bins will be built and sized to exactly match Wolf internal dividers with zip dust covers. When not camping the water tank will be drained, we won't fill the aux fuel tank for normal day to day driving and camping equipment gets stored elsewhere. For example the roof rack (containing x3 Wolf boxes, camping chairs, trax, big portable solar panel, en-suite, awning and roof tent just gets unbolted, hoisted up into the rafters and sits there until next needed. When we go camping - back the Defender in, lower the rack back down and bolt it on. Fill the tank with water, pop the portaloo back in its cupboard, strap the fridge to its shelf and off we go.
As for food - I freeze dry food (25 year shelf life). Takes up virtually no space so perfect for camping and retains 90% of nutrients. Add water and cook normally. Perfect for one pot meals like soup, stews and casseroles - nice and easy. Will sit in tuppaware type containers (like you do with breakfast cereals) - all stacked and secured. Same with spices, herbs, etc. Fresh supplies in the fridge/freezer. Yes we will also buy fresh as we go and also plan to use hotels, BnB's and restaurants to mix things up. Cooking is via a Coleman 2 ring stove on a drop down table on the back door. Runs on petrol not gas. No regulators or gas bottles to worry about. Works better at altitude and you can get unleaded just about anywhere. A 20L jerry can of petrol will last weeks - even if you didn't 'eat out' now and again.
We could live quite happily for a couple of weeks away from everyone or scale it back for short trips nearer the usual facilities for shopping top-ups.
I've sorted rubbish and waste water. Plus by using freeze dried food we are not carrying lots of packaging that needs to be binned. Pour out what you need, cook it, eat it, no waste.
Sleeping is in a roof tent or internal bunks (if the weather is too bad). I haven't gone for a wedge tent for the very reason you mention. Our tent will have an annex below - stand up internal room to move around, dress, cook and access the vehicle.
I've bought a 2kW diesel heater. It's a Planar Autoterm which sits under the cubby box - the same type as used in Russian truck cabs. More expensive than the Chinese knock-offs but hopefully reliable.
The CO2 monitor will also have an intruder gas alarm built in. I've read that when abroad the current trend is for thieves do is gas motorhome occupants while they are sleeping to keep them unconscious while they nick what they want.
I'm also keeping things as simple as possible. While I'm adding electric windows, heated front & rear screens and seats that's it. No 240v hook-up, no inverter, no hot water, no electric water pumps, no gas appliances or gas installations. When we want hot water - boil a kettle - we're camping so there's no rush. Plus no micro switches to go wrong - the water pump to the sink is a Whale foot pump.
I've got a crank and a leisure battery, split charger, Anderson Connectors so I don't have to pull the seat apart to give someone a jump start and Anderson Connectors to simply plug the solar panel into. I'm upgrading to a heavy duty alternator and all ancillaries such as media, internal lights, annex light, awning light and charging points will run off the leisure battery. This get charged during travel and supplemented by solar when camping to slow down the drain.
I'm sure I'll make mistakes and wish I'd gone a different route on some things but think I've got the majority of it right. My layout is unconventional. I spent a lot of time thinking about ergonomics and how we will use the vehicle and I think it will work for us. If I'm wrong - god help us - it would be a major task to change it later.
We are heading for retirement and I want to spend our time travelling - so this vehicle needs to be quiet, comfortable for touring and clutter free. What I won't be driving around in is something which looks like this ..... Nothing against it and this might suit some but I think I can do better :D
Mess 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool write up Rob tells you just about everything you need to know .love your set up 👍 all about trial and error in the end you get to what suits you and is the most convenient.
And precious time with the boy 🙂
My boy is now a man. This is why he now has this. Our next project!. Will be good to be able to tour in tandem. A friend has seen what we are doing with mine and bought one as well - going to have a convoy soon :p
IMG_3063.jpeg

Bit more progress today - Got the new front and rear windscreens fitted. Both are heated - or will be once I've sorted out the wiring.

The rear went in OK. The back end is starting to look quite smart now. I need to install the rear door fittings and finish off the insulation. Plus get the new door rubbers fitted. There'll be an internal grille on this window after the electrics are sorted. Once this is done I'm perilously close to being able to start the rear fit-out.
IMG_3515.jpg

Also in this photo - the rear NAS step bumper and Mantec wheel carrier on the floor still to be fitted.
IMG_3518.jpg

The front windscreen was a pain in the bum. Took 3 attempts to get it right with the new rubbers. I wasn't sure how this was going to look - as this is a 5% green tint and I've got 15% grey going into the front doors and the 70% grey on the side and rear windows. But it's hardly noticeable. Just enough to filter out a bit of glare.
IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

Slowly getting there. Timetable is slipping again though - a staff member has just broken their ankle so we are short staffed coming into our busy period plus weather has held up some building work I'm having to do. All I want to do is get back to working on my 110 project :fedup:

Back
Top Bottom