• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

1951 LR; missing presumed appropriated (taken in other words).

Woodwind

Shifting Up
Good evening all, I am trying to track down my 1951 LR, FJT 959, which was taken away from our house by one Andrew Cameron many years ago to be restored. Over the years I have had fleeting contact with him but every time I ask how it is going there is a reason why he has not finished iti. About two years ago I was told he had moved to Bude, but I now cannot get him to reply to any of my emials, texts, or phone calls. Does anyone have any contact with Andrew so that I can ask him where FJT 959 is at present? I just want to get it back in whatever state it is in. Grateful for any assistance you might be able too provide.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply - and for your suggestion.

I had also planned on contacting the police but did not want to do so until I had exhausted all other approaches (and I am not sure how much time they would devote to such a piffling matter when there are so many, far more important, woke-crimes to be investigated these days!!).

That said, my post has been overtaken by events as Andrew contacted me this morning just in time to stop me actually calling the police. The story is still the same - its a "work in progress" . However, I am going to insist upon seeing it and will photograph it etc. before making a decision about what to do next.

Thanks again for your support!

Interesting this ,many years ago 😳 how long does it take is a good question unless he was doing it on a part time basis .
I would definitely insist on at least viewing your vehicle to see how the work is going now he has contacted you .
That doesn’t stop him answering your calls / emails to let you know how things are going .honesty is the best policy in my eyes ,after all he’s not doing it for nothing is he ..
Let us know how things materialise.
Best of luck .

it must be so reassuring that the chap has made contact, hopefully its nothing nefarious that caused the delays,
If this happened to me i'd get it back or to somewhere safe asap whilst things can be worked out whatever the sob story/excuses though,
Do you have any pics available of it before it went to the chap?,
Good luck and hope it works out for the good,

Thanks again to all who replied or commented etc. Much appreciated.

He took the vehicle in 2004 on the basis that I gave him a roadworthy 110 in exchange for him getting my vehicle on the road in slow time. I did not want anything concours - just on the road and MOT'd. Then, when we returned from overseas, some 5 years later, the trouble started. I also paid him for a new bulkhead which he said he had sourced.

I have some training in contract law, so I got hin to sign an agreement covering the work. (A useful part of my university course!!)

He has said I can go and see the FJT in about two weeks - I will report back on the what it looks like!

He took the vehicle in 2004 on the basis that I gave him a roadworthy 110 in exchange for him getting my vehicle on the road in slow time. I did not want anything concours - just on the road and MOT'd. Then, when we returned from overseas, some 5 years later, the trouble started. I also paid him for a new bulkhead which he said he had sourced.

I have some training in contract law, so I got hin to sign an agreement covering the work. (A useful part of my university course!!)

He has said I can go and see the FJT in about two weeks - I will report back on the what it looks like!
Good luck with it ,be nice to see some pics when you go ..

Not sure where to start here.. so 19 years ago a contract was signed that allowed for a vehicle to be slowly repaired to make the vehicle road worthy and have an mot....5 years later on return to this country ..your vehicle was not completed as per contract..so yes he would be in breach of the contract at that time ..but did the agreement you then came to with the other party ..make the original contract nul and void ...???
My concern is that the vehicle might no longer be in his possession ... the bulkhead is either missing or corroded after this length of time unless stored correctly.. not forgetting that he has moved in that time ... but at least you are now getting contact ..albiet within a day of putting it on this forum ....mmmm.. is he a member or has been pointed to this thread by some one who knows him.... sadly the outcome might not turn out as you hope.. and the legal route will cost you more than it will cost him ..but i hope to be wrong and you can recover you vehicle and then give it to some one to repair ..without the proviso ..that the time to complete is not as you would say " slowly"... the word slowly to a garage meens the job is put to the back of the garage as there is no rush .. the next thing you know the owner is asking for it back .. yep years have just flown by .. but once the customer is asking for it back ..you do it as quick as possible ..not avoid the customer for another 14 years.. that really is taking the proverbial... and it is that time frame that makes me wonder if the vehicle is still around with him....

sorry to be so blunt but that just sounds so wtf ,you give him a 110 to use so he can rebuild your s 1 and money for parts ,20 years later you start wanting the s1 back , i am shaking my head in disbelief on both partys ,and saying what ,why and realy jeez ,ok i read the 5 years later the trouble started ,but you let him mess you about since then ,sorry still shaking my head so much now my neck is begining to hurt ,been in the trade a hell of a long time now and this is a new record i though i heard them all ,,,unbelivable ,and what happened to the 110

Last edited:
He has said I can go and see the FJT in about two weeks
Why not now? As 'Madmechanic' and 'Old Steamer' say - does he even have the vehicle after this length of time? Has he actually done any work if he does have it? Perhaps this is what the fortnight is for! If he still has it the vehicle and it hasn't moved for so long it will now probably qualify as a barn find.
19 years to put a car on the road and MOT it? Never. :eek:
..... but at least you are now getting contact ..... albiet within a day of putting it on this forum ..... .mmmm..
Let's hope it isn't a forum member

I wouldnt be stressing about trying to get back what has been given to him in payment to do the work, i'd just put that down to experience, i wouldnt wait for two weeks either, i'd just get down to Bude asap and start the ball rolling to see and get whatevers left of my land rover back,even in bits with documentation its worth a fair bit more now than it was 20 years ago,
make sure that you have the v5 in your name with you, if you dont have the v5 start the ball rolling to get one today,
I certainly wouldnt accept this chaps timescale to establish that its still about,

This has the makings of a it’s not there anymore I hope I’m wrong ..if it’s been inside for the duration then it should be in roughly the same state …that’s a long while .

if i had his address i would be google earthing it by now to see if it is parked up by his place ...and as you only live in Devon .. well i would be parked outside his house waiting for him .. and if he does not want to show you it there and then .. but two weeks .. well in a week and a half he will put it off again .. any old excuse "the cat died or some thing"... be firm but polite .. and certainly take some one with you .. even if it just to confirm what is said .....

Agree with just about all the above comments. With one caveat: If you don't know where he is, and/or where the vehicle is, then its hard to do anything about it other than try to get the police interested - and I think we all know how problematic that is these days, given their workload and priorites. After all, has a crime actually been committed?

I did see a disassembled chassis about ten years ago, and received assurances about its progress. But then he moved again. When he again went dark on me I drove over to see an empty workshop and no-one knew where he had gone and I was once again hunting for him. I had no luck till people in the Series One Club helped. However, sod's law threw up some fairly serious obstacles to following up on that info: parent dying, getting covid etc. So, after a series of emails and messages went unanswered I appealed to this forum and threatened to go to the police. And there you have it - warts and all (well almost!).

Most people tend to trust others till the bitter end - and there are those who take advantage of that fact, stretching the "elastic" to the breaking point.

I have no idea what Andrew Cameron's intent was, or is. I hope this will end well. But as mentioned above, I will update this forum on the end-story as a courtesy to those who have posted expressions of concern and support - for which I am very grateful.

Agree with just about all the above comments. With one caveat: If you don't know where he is, and/or where the vehicle is, then its hard to do anything about it other than try to get the police interested - and I think we all know how problematic that is these days, given their workload and priorites. After all, has a crime actually been committed?

I did see a disassembled chassis about ten years ago, and received assurances about its progress. But then he moved again. When he again went dark on me I drove over to see an empty workshop and no-one knew where he had gone and I was once again hunting for him. I had no luck till people in the Series One Club helped. However, sod's law threw up some fairly serious obstacles to following up on that info: parent dying, getting covid etc. So, after a series of emails and messages went unanswered I appealed to this forum and threatened to go to the police. And there you have it - warts and all (well almost!).

Most people tend to trust others till the bitter end - and there are those who take advantage of that fact, stretching the "elastic" to the breaking point.

I have no idea what Andrew Cameron's intent was, or is. I hope this will end well. But as mentioned above, I will update this forum on the end-story as a courtesy to those who have posted expressions of concern and support - for which I am very grateful.
Ah i thought he had contacted you and gave you his address when you said.. you would be seeing the vehicle in two weeks time .... oh bugg..r another stalling tactic ... the pc is a wonderful tool for finding some one ....i wonder if an address can be found..?? .. but give him the benefit of the doubt and allow the two weeks ... and if nothing ..then lets play ....

Back
Top Bottom